1:100 Macross Destroid 'Phalanx' SDR-04-Mk XIII

Started by Dizzyfugu, July 01, 2014, 03:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Heavy metal. After a LONG hiatus I felt the itch to build some mecha (again) - and also after seeing the huge respective kit pile...  :rolleyes:

Well, in a spontaneous urge I grabbed a kit that I had begun some years ago, and now its assembly gains momentum.
Time to widen/complete the Destroid collection from the Macross TV series (early 80ies, one of the benchmark "real robot" anime series), and we are talking about a so-called Destroid Phalanx, a Bandai kit in 1:100 (a re-issue of the 1st generation Arii kit):

The kit is simple and the mould is SO old that it lacks vinyl polycaps. Besides, the Phalanx is a rather unglorious vehicle from the series - the destroids are actually comparable to tanks, doing ground battle or, in this case, act as mobile defence stations on the hull of a huge space ship(!), the SDF-1. In fact, the Phalanx is just a walking missile launcher, with almost no close combat capability.

Well, I will build it with a twist - "my" Phalanx will not be the standard variant, but rather a mild conversion into a different variant which differs by its dark blue and red paint scheme and a different, rather bizarre head/sensor mount - found on a still scene from the TV series. Not a real whif, but at least not OOB  ;):

The head had already been scratched some years ago, but the rest of the kit will see some internal modifications (overcoming the shortcomings of the lacking polycaps for the joints) and some external pimping.

Stay tuned...

Dizzyfugu

Here we go... the original joints are very tight and partly come in two halves, what makes the results very unpredictable. Another issue is the rigid leg position, the finished kit looks OOB very static.
Therefore, almost all joints ("Arms", legs, hip, even the neck) are replaced with scratched constructions, made from styrene tubes of various sizes (which perfectly fit into each other, though), and the hip joint(s) are made from a piece of styrene-covered steel wire, which later allows a more dynamic pose (see below)

1:100 Macross - Destroid "(Missile) Phalanx" SDR-04-Mk XIII Space Defense Robot (Bandai kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:100 Macross - Destroid "(Missile) Phalanx" SDR-04-Mk XIII Space Defense Robot (Bandai kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The interior of the missile launchers in the arms is rather poorly detailed. At first I considered getting rid of anything inside and scratch it new, but then I found that a simple plastic straw has just the right diameter and material strength to simulate some launch tubes. With a paper cutting machine the right length could cleanly be sliced off, and the stuff was fixed with white glue.

While this stuff is drying, the previously built head gets fixed.

Now the legs. The whole kit will be assembled and painted in segments, which are now easy to dry-fit. The only area that needs paint during assebly are the knee joints. I settled for Humbrol 104 (Oxford Blue) as basic tone, with Humbrol 79 for the joint covers.

Here's the finished new hip section, the heels' insides received a cover with styrene sheet - OOB these are hollow, and this does not look really convincing, at least when you look at the kit from behind and rather closely.

After two days of preparations the Phalanx stands on its own feet, and you can tell its much more dynamic pose now - ready for painting. As you can see, some surface details have been added, too - some details are based on sketches of this mecha, some a personal "on top" additions. After all, it's a conversion!  ;):

Stay tuned!

Dizzyfugu

Some news... painting started.

Here's a look at the basic colors that are used on the hull - applied more or less from dark to light, and finally some dust with Revell 75 and Humbrol 83 around the feet:

Not certain if anything can be told on the pic - here's a comparison before/after initial dry-painting with 15 and 25 on the legs:

After initial painting with Humbrol 104, 15 and 25, some black ink washing was done:

And here's a more advanced stage, with the most light tones applied and some decals:

Dizzyfugu

1:100 Macross - Destroid "(Missile) Phalanx" SDR-04-Mk XIII Space Defense Robot (Bandai kit conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:100 Macross - Destroid "(Missile) Phalanx" SDR-04-Mk XIII Space Defense Robot (Bandai kit conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some background:
The Space Defense Robot (SDR) Phalanx was the final Destroid designed during Space War I to act as a fleet defense mecha. After the space worthy conversion of the CVS-101 Prometheus and the SLV-111 Daedalus carriers, these ships were docked with the SDF-1 Macross and it became clear that this new gigantic vessel required a special mecha unit for medium range defense.

Development of the Phalanx began during the war in July 2009 and quickly reached rollout in December of that year, as it was based on proven segments. Roughly 20 Phalanx destroids were built aboard the SDF-1 Macross shipboard factories.

Armed with dozens of missiles in two large launchers, the Phalanx made an excellent semi-mobile missile-based battery (minor variants featured armaments such as a head-mounted gatling gun, or different sensor arrays). During the final battle of Space War I against the Zentraedi Bodol Zer Main Fleet, the Phalanx units were repainted and refitted to fire long-range reaction warheads for use against space warships. When the SDF-1 Macross broke through the Zentraedi fleet defenses and entered the interior of the massive Fulbtzs Berrentzs command vessel, all the Phalanx units unleashed their missiles and aided in the swift destruction of the enemy flagship.

Technical Data
Equipment Type: Space Defense Robot/heavy artillery
Accommodation: One pilot
Government: U.N. Spacy
Manufacturer: Macross Onboard Factories
Introduction: December 2009

Dimensions:
Height 12.05 meters
Length 5.1 meters
Width 10.8 meters.
Mass: 47.2 metric tons

Powerplant:
1x Kranss-Maffai MT828 thermonuclear reactor, developing 2800 shp;
Auxillary Shinnakasu Industry CT 03 miniature thermonuclear generator, output rated at 970 kW.

Propulsion:
Biped, with limited zero-G maneuverability through many x low-thrust venier thrusters beneath multipurpose hooks/handles all over the hull.

Armament:
2x Howard SHIN-SHM-10 Derringer short-range high-maneuverability self-guided missile pods with 22 missiles each (mounted one per arm, missiles stored in two rows behind each other).

Production Notes:
The Destroid Phalanx made its debut in Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Episode 27, and it's the only occasion where it appears. Original mecha designer: Miyatake Kazutaka.

silverwindblade

Outstanding!
I'm a huge fan of Macross, and I love seeing any of the subjects from it in plastic form, and I especially like seeing the ideas of the series expanded upon.
Great work on creating something slightly obscure :D
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

Cobra

Awesome Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: This is one of 3 Macross Mecha I'm a Fan of! you did a Top Notch Job! Keep up the Superb work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

zenrat

Yay! Giant Robot!

Good job Dizz.  Nice weathering.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mr Ten

Very nice building and weary look :thumbsup: And so many memories from Macross/Robotech... :rolleyes:

I did one also a few years ago, only from the box and not so sophisticated  ;)

(pix from an exhibition, the left arm is lowered because the poor guy is exhausted after 2 days standing on a table :lol:)

Congrats and happy to see unusual stuff from Macross :cheers:

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Mr Ten on July 07, 2014, 10:54:35 AM
Very nice building and weary look :thumbsup: And so many memories from Macross/Robotech... :rolleyes:

I did one also a few years ago, only from the box and not so sophisticated  ;)

(pix from an exhibition, the left arm is lowered because the poor guy is exhausted after 2 days standing on a table :lol:)

Congrats and happy to see unusual stuff from Macross :cheers:

Yours looks very good, IMHO. nice weathering with dry-painted silver(?). It's built OOB, but that's O.K. at 1:100, the only thing that could be improved is the shiny finish? I guess that that some matt varnish would do wonders for the overall impression.

Nice to see some more Macross stuff  :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

No idea or info about the two "rows"... just passing the facts!  :rolleyes:

Mr Ten

My model was undercoated with a silver spray can (maybe tamiya silver leaf :unsure: ), then airbrushed with some dark yellow acrylics.
Once well dry, i took some steelwool to rub (gently ! :-\ ) the entire mecha, and create a "worn effect". It's not very hard to do, just rub slowly until you see the shiny silver under the pain (but stoooop before reaching the plastic ! :wacko: )... Finish and add some scratches with a cutter/scalpel.
Then add artist oils in the recesses.  I dont think (and remember!) i've made a drybrush on this kit. ;)

Dizzyfugu

Ah, that technique explains why I was reminded of (fake) vintage furniture when I saw the finish - same technique, and very effective!  :thumbsup: