Any Model Shops left in London

Started by Librarian, July 02, 2014, 04:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Librarian

I live over in the East End of London and my entire stock of available shops seems to have evaporated. Even HobbyCraft Romford is dire. I know of TAHS in the West and Comet Miniatures, but I think both are now by appointment or something. Hannants Hendon is a trek or horrible drive away. Is there a model shop/craft shop still operating where simple things like Humbrol paints and Evergreen (or other) are available. Mail order is all very well but I do like an escuse to get away once in awhile.

Even Chelmsford/Colchester/Ipswich shops would be of interest. Hannants Lowestoft is about two hours drive but I'm becoming seriously tempted.

PR19_Kit

More like any model shops left in the whole UK............  :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Well while I do recognize the problem, and the feelings of desolation, we here in Central Scotland are not too badly off.
Being further to the SW my nearest good, real, model shop, Jamieson's in Glasgow is a 75mile round trip, but at least the drive is a good one.
Then there is Wonderland in Edinburgh. About 80 miles each way, but you do have the benefit of a day out in Edinburgh, a great place to spend a day.

As for more local, we do have a local model shop in Ayr, this is only about 2.5 miles away but he is rather armour oriented. Some aircraft kits, not a bad selection. Paints, only Vallejo acrylics and the selection is VERY armour orientated.

Jim

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

Living in SE London I share your frustrations Librarian. Comet has indeed closed, TAHS has opened in new premises, not exactly sure about it's ownership, I got a tad confused. Hannant's Colindale is a 3 to 4 hour round trip for me.

However I am lucky in that WH Smiths has a "Modelzone" section. Whilst not great for models - it does have a fair few - it has a stock of materials and tools and for that I'm gratefull. Full Humbrol range etc.

I have noticed that since the demise of MZ a few traditional looking toy shops are keeping a small stock of Hymbrol/Airfix. Can be worth checking out.

If that fails try this search http://www.airfix.com/stockists/england/

Hope it helps

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

Librarian, there aren't many model shops around here but these I know of;

Marquee Models in Harlow have a wide range of kits and paint and will order in for you.
John Dutfield Model Railways in Chelmsford have a better choice than Hobbycraft (admittedly not difficult!). Lots of scenery stuff too.

There used to be a model railway shop at the end of Leytonstone High Road. This was 10+ years ago.
There is a massive toy shop by the A11 in Norfolk with a good kit selection, I did a post here on it when I found it 7 years ago.

Librarian

Ok, many thanks. I know the internet provides all but I'm a browser and I really miss it :angry: I can make a drive to Hannants Hendon in 1hr or Hannants Lowestoft in just over 2hrs. I NEED to fondle some kits. Decision time tonight....

JayBee

Quote from: Librarian on July 02, 2014, 07:55:26 AM
I NEED to fondle some kits. 

Now that we really understand.  :rolleyes:

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

darthspud

Hmmm, Somerset for me is poor. Taunton has a smalll railway orientated shop, Exeter in Devon had 5 now just one. Bristol, I just don't bother with, too far and not alot there. Wells or Shepton Mallet are a good hour each way if Glasto isnt on, if it is just don't bother.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

Nick

The Norfolk shop I was thinking of is at Snetterton racetrack and former RAF bomber base. Just off the A11 and you could easily go there on the way to Hannants at Lowestoft, it's a nice fast road.

My review from 2010- http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,29293.0/highlight,snetterton.html Their website is http://www.itsabigshop.co.uk/   ;D They're not wrong there!

There's also a model shop in Hoddesdon Herts to look for, Hurricane Models, http://www.hurricanemodels.co.uk/engine/shop/index.html

PR19_Kit

The biggest model shop for MILES around here is my Loft!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Librarian

Address please...do you take Visa?

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

McColm

KitKrazy is still open to business at Bexely Heath, 303 Broadway, DA6 8DT telephone: 020 8298 7177.

McColm

I rent a room over in London NW10 and I'm selling my stash for cash, you're welcome to have a look and if anything catches your eye just give me an offer and we could do a deal.
Offer open to anyone with a car/van within driving distance of London and the home counties.

McColm

Not too sure if this has been mentioned before .William Patane is building stock levels and ranges in model kits.
The shop is called " Kits4All, Unit 16 St George's Walk, Croydon, CR0 1YH. Open Monday-Saturday 10.30am-5pm
0208 6887781
www.kits4all.London

Or see page 8 Airfix Model World October 2015