American Tiger

Started by tc2324, July 02, 2014, 03:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

So after a self imposed plastic break, I`m back!

Now over the last week I`ve actually been working on a EE Lightning F.3 to finish off the Lightning part of the 74 Sqn collection. However the plastic gods of doom seem to of had other ideas and the spray paints I had used did not bond to the plastic and peeled away. I can only assume that I should of cleaned the surfaces of the kit for any mold residue.

So here she is in the process of being stripped back down to the plastic and is now on the back burner as another `project` has entered the 74 arena.

That`s one frightning Lightning....!

During this years 74 Sqn reunion dinner a few members wanted to know if I was bringing the 74 whif collection, as this has proved quite popular in the 74 association newsletters. Well, the answer was no as I hadn`t started them yet in 1/48 scale, but I think it`s time to start rectifying that issue ready for the 2015 reunion dinner.

There have been a number of types that have been rumoured to enter service with 74 sqn over the years. The Supermarine Swift and Sepecat Jaguar to name a couple.

However, I thought I`d start with this..............,

The Sqn history states that...,

`in 1966 the British government was understood to be on the verge of ordering the GE F-111 in the wake of the cancellation of the TSR-2 with 74 Sqn supposedly being the first recipients of the big, trouble torn, American jet....`

We can only surmise that as 74 had successfully integrated the EE Lightning into front line service, 74`s reputation preceded them when introducing new aircraft into operational service and they were viewed as the obvious choice.

Of course none of this happened...... but what if?

This next picture shows the scale of the F-111 compared to the Lightning.

It`s a biggy!

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Captain Canada

Hmmmm...... ;)

And the Lightning looks awesome in those colours right there ! Like it's been overworked and had too long a career !  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

retro_seventies

Get in!  Really looking forward to this.  I've had a fairly slow burning love affair with the F-111, rife with TSR2 based resentment, tempered by a grudging respect for the world class platform that it became.  I love the different takes on the type in RAF service, and can't wait to see what you do with yours.  Good luck!
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

NARSES2

Interesting line of thought. To build the almost official WIF's associated with a squadron  :thumbsup:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tc2324

Front end cockpit is now done with plenty of weight thrown in......

..... just need to tidy the edges.

Also started work on the wing mechanism shown below for those of you that like to see the innards....

With this kit they have also given you the option of rigging it so that the pylons move with the wings.....

I haven`t gone for this option as from the beginning I decided that my model would be `clean` as if just delivered from the factory mainly because I`m not really sure what weapons may have been fitted to the type. Add to the fact that 74 are an historical fighter unit and it`s a can of worms I`m not willing to open.

Tiger, Tiger!

NARSES2

Nice work on the seats  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Only one problem with the moving pylons, the outermost ones were fixed in real life, which meant when used, the wing's sweep was fixed at mid position.  So, I'd leave the linkage off, if you're going to use them and just glue the wing in position.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

tc2324

Quote from: rickshaw on July 05, 2014, 07:59:37 PM
Only one problem with the moving pylons, the outermost ones were fixed in real life, which meant when used, the wing's sweep was fixed at mid position.  So, I'd leave the linkage off, if you're going to use them and just glue the wing in position.

Glad you mentioned that info as I forgot to include it in my last post.  :thumbsup:

As said, I`m leaving the airframe `clean` so no links, (or headaches), involved.  ;D

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Flyer on July 05, 2014, 08:25:05 PM
Quote from: rickshaw on July 05, 2014, 07:59:37 PM
Only one problem with the moving pylons, the outermost ones were fixed in real life
Why? Was there a good reason or lazy designers?

IIRC the wing was too thin to contain the linkages out that far. The mission plans for the SAC FB-111s were to carry monster tanks on all the pylons, use the fuel in the outer ones first and then drop them so they could sweep the wings for 'over the target' dash speeds.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Librarian

Always look forward to a F-111 build. Soooo many possibilities :thumbsup:.

tc2324

Pretty much the last picture prior to the paint going on.

As you can see a little filler has been used where the front end meets the main fuselage. The fit is not perfect on the this kit and you need to play around with it a bit to get it all level.

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

And so now for the scheme reveal.......  :blink:

.... with the main sqn markings thrown in. (still WIP)

So now to answer some questions.

Why silver? Well as I mentioned prior, in 1966 the `rumour mill` was mentioning 74 as a possible recipient of any F-111 purchase.

As we know, 74 is historically  a fighter sqn so I felt that any delivery scheme would probably be similar to the standard silver of the RAF interceptor sqns at that time.

Now whether the RAF would of used the aircraft in the interceptor roll is open to speculation.

IMPO I doubt it.

I based the sqn marking decal placement on that of the Lightning as I felt this would be a reasonable facsimile to the real thing if the purchase had gone ahead. 

I`ve also used the smaller black/yellow dicing bands as again at that time RAF sqn`s were being ordered to tone down their markings. This order would also incorporate the lack of black tail.

One problem I am having is finding out if any serial codes were allocated to any possible RAF F-111 buy? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can let me know.

Tiger, Tiger!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: tc2324 on July 08, 2014, 03:05:56 AM
One problem I am having is finding out if any serial codes were allocated to any possible RAF F-111 buy? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can let me know.

Yes, they were. There were four TF-111Ks serialled XV884-887 and 46 F-111Ks serialled XV902-947, so lots to chose from.

Only two were actually built, and they weren't completed, but I'm sot sure if they were TF-111Ks or F-111Ks.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

tc2324

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 08, 2014, 04:12:08 AM
Quote from: tc2324 on July 08, 2014, 03:05:56 AM

Yes, they were. There were four TF-111Ks serialled XV884-887 and 46 F-111Ks serialled XV902-947, so lots to chose from.

Only two were actually built, and they weren't completed, but I'm sot sure if they were TF-111Ks or F-111Ks.

Cheers Kit.  :thumbsup:  Think I`ll be going for one of the trainer ones.

Tiger, Tiger!

tc2324

Pretty much finished this....,

...., just need to add the serial numbers and I`m also playing with the idea of adding a couple `Redtops` to complete the look.

Tiger, Tiger!