Main Menu

Seen at the airshow today

Started by Caveman, July 16, 2014, 10:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

We'll have to make a plan for next time Mark !

Yes, 7 Mustangs and 11 Corsairs. Wonderful !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Caveman

I went to the Shuttleworth Collection's evening drive in airshow last week - "A Scurry of Chipmunks". Its the first airshow that I've attended since the UK locked down. The lighting and weather were poor but it was a really fun show and well managed given the current restrictions. There were a fair few weather related scrubs, nothing older than 1930's flew, but that is the risk you take when going to see such old aircraft perform. Below is a selection and a link to the rest of the album if you are interested:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmW44Cid
secretprojects forum migrant

PR19_Kit

Absolutely GLORIOUS pics! I can almost hear them!

Thanks for posting them.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Caveman

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 23, 2021, 02:17:02 PM
Absolutely GLORIOUS pics! I can almost hear them!

Thanks for posting them.  :thumbsup:

Very kind Kit. I'm really glad that Shuttleworth found a COVID compatible format to hold airshows. But the drive in format meant that I was a fair way back from the flight line fence. Hopefully we'll be able to get back to the pre COVID format because one of the great joys of shuttleworth is that you could be close enough to smell the displays!

Pellson

I am beyond words envious of the amount of flying Spitfires in UK. It's not fair! You should have been forced to surrender at least half of them at Brexit..  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Glenn Gilbertson

Thanks for sharing your excellent pictures, Caveman - glad you had a good day out. :thumbsup:

Caveman

Ok, not strictly an airshow but the Sunday of last weekend's Shuttleworth Race Day did include this little beauty doing a quick beat up before departing home again.

And a lot of the vehicles did have aero engines...

As always, more here if you are so inclined:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWR4MqK

It was great to be back to "normal" at Shuttleworth. Standard parking and access to the flight line again. The smell was back :)

kitbasher

The Napier Railton still holds the track speed record for Brooklands and was used for early jet fighter brake 'chute trials.

Given how fast it can go I always feel the rear view mirror is somewhat redundant!  But it's necessary to facilitate road worthiness.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Caveman

Quote from: kitbasher on October 04, 2021, 03:16:42 PM
The Napier Railton still holds the track speed record for Brooklands and was used for early jet fighter brake 'chute trials.

Given how fast it can go I always feel the rear view mirror is somewhat redundant!  But it's necessary to facilitate road worthiness.

I am always astounded that most of these vehicles arrive under their own steam.

zenrat

Napier Railton.
https://oldmachinepress.com/2020/03/05/cobb-napier-railton-endurance-racer/

150mph (244 km/hr) with no front brakes while wearing overalls and a flying helmet.   :thumbsup: :wub:
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TomZ

Airbourne Rememberance 2021

In order to remember the anniversary of operation Market Garden in 1944 every year there are parachute droppings at the heath at Ginkel near Arnhem in the Netherlands on the third weekend of September.
Here are some pictures I took this year.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

NARSES2

Thanks for those Tom

I've been to Arnhem a few times, but never during the remembrance ceremonies. First time I went was my first trip abroad. I was 10 or 11 and a mate at primary schools mum was Dutch. I later found out she was from Nijmegen and his father had met her during the liberation. I went over with them during the Easter break. Been back a few times since and it still sends a shiver down my spine.

Lest we forget
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 05, 2021, 07:22:03 AM

Been back a few times since and it still sends a shiver down my spine.

Doesn't it just!  :-\

I took many opportunities to visit the various sites in Holland while working over there, and every one gives you that tingling feeling down the back of your neck.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Great shots, everyone.

WRT the Paras, are those the standard chutes, or do they use 'period' style (round) ones as part of the tribute display?