Aircraft that Britain Shouldn't have had

Started by DarrenP, July 17, 2014, 01:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 18, 2014, 07:16:50 AM
Fairey Battle, Fulmar etc ? Rather unfair to judge them with hindsight in my opinion. You need to try and put your self into the minds of the people at the time. What were the expected requirements, what were the planned operational procedures/tactics, what were the opposition expected to do ; indeed who were they expected to be ?

Very, very few things survive the first shock of war. Then the problem is that you haven't the time and/or resources to sort out those failures which could be sorted out with a little bit of development.

It's all to easy to condemn from a safe distance

But we're doing ALL this thread with hindsight.

And that hindsight shows us that the Battle wasn't the ideal aircraft for the tasks it was given. OK, so the primary problem was with their Air Lordships for sending them, but there were better aircraft available.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

People are very, very entitled to their opinions mate. I just feel that sometimes we (me included  :banghead:) should take a short time to consider before hitting the keyboard  ;D

For those interested in this subject I can thoroughly recommend "Back to the Drawing Board - aircraft that flew but never took off" by Bill Gunston.

There are some superb examples of Aviation's epic failures in there from the beginning through to the Rockwell XFV-12
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 18, 2014, 07:29:15 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 18, 2014, 07:16:50 AM
Fairey Battle, Fulmar etc ? Rather unfair to judge them with hindsight in my opinion. You need to try and put your self into the minds of the people at the time. What were the expected requirements, what were the planned operational procedures/tactics, what were the opposition expected to do ; indeed who were they expected to be ?

Very, very few things survive the first shock of war. Then the problem is that you haven't the time and/or resources to sort out those failures which could be sorted out with a little bit of development.

It's all to easy to condemn from a safe distance

But we're doing ALL this thread with hindsight.

And that hindsight shows us that the Battle wasn't the ideal aircraft for the tasks it was given. OK, so the primary problem was with their Air Lordships for sending them, but there were better aircraft available.

I don't disagree Kit as long as it's hindsight with aforethought it's just to easy to pull a name out of the hat so to speak. Someone has to defend the poor things  :rolleyes:

The Battle was a reasonable Hart replacement and would have done a good job keeping the native's heads down on the NW Frontier or in Iraq. Unfortunately when it came to Northern France it wasn't up to it. Nor was much else be it due to poor design/development or procedures/tactics.

I've often wondered how the Hawker Henley would have performed in the Battle's role during 1940 ? A better aircraft ? Almost certainly but the tactics, enforced to some extent, and lack of air cover would have still seen it shot out of the sky.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Quote from: maxmwill on July 17, 2014, 03:06:45 PM
The GD(your choice as to the meaning of that) F111

We never got it anyway - doesn't count.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

DarrenP

wooksta
I think we should have kept the phantom or bought more J's as opposed to getting Tornado F3

Martin H

Quote from: Mossie on July 18, 2014, 07:11:06 AM
TSR.2

very dangerous ground there Mossie  ;)

you might fine one of these  :tank: handy when you are around some members of the SIG

Quote from: Mossie on July 18, 2014, 07:11:06 AM
There, I've said it.  It shouldn't have been built in the first place, but once it was we should have followed it through.
Although there is a fair bit of merit with your last sentence.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

pyro-manic

This might be a touch controversial, but at least one of the V-bombers. Three different aircraft for the same role could be seen as rather wasteful, and a poor use of limited resources. Not to mention running the Sperrin development programme on top. Cut one of them out, and you free up a lot of budget for other projects - perhaps more timely Sea Vixen deployment, and subsequent developments (Lightning replacement, or a British carrier fighter instead of the Phantom)?

I'm not too bothered about the Tornado F.3 - sure, it was dull and uninteresting, but it did the job. It was never meant to be a fighter, and it wasn't. But as an interceptor it did just fine.

If the Phantoms had been looked after properly they would have lasted much longer.

Moving right up to date, the F-35. Too big to fail, and all that, but the whole project is ridiculous. Heads should have rolled and contracts been cancelled years ago.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

jcf

The big problem regarding Peregrine and Vulture was less technical than logistical, more types
were using the Merlin therefore more production capacity was required to produce Merlins. If there
had been a critical requirement for either Peregrine or Vulture, then a solution would have
been found, as it was neither engine type was critical. The decision to drop both was sound, especially
as Peregrine was the end product of an older design - the 'F'/Kestrel, Vulture was overly complex,
and Griffon was already in the offing, and it was a much simpler path to a 2,000hp engine.

sandiego89

I'll throw one more out for consideration- Jaguar.  Did the UK really need both Jaguar AND Harrier?  Similar capability.

Mentioning the the Phantom and TSR2 on here?  Brave men indeed  :o   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

DarrenP

Similar capability but slightly different concepts of operations.
Would rather have had jaguar in ground attack role than Tornado attempting to do it.

DarrenP

kitbasher

Okay.....

So yes there's nothing but 'benefit of hindsight' going on in this thread, but that is inescapable.  And on that basis here is the vote of the Kitbasher jury:

TSR.2 - contentious indeed and I will go as far as to suggest that, yes it could have been procured but frankly I'm convinced it would not have been the wonderplane everyone reckons it would have been.  Also I think in-service operating and support costs would have been so high that it would have been a very easy target for the traditionally parsimonious MOD during successive defence reductions.

Very handsome machine (and an example of the British early 60s 'white heat of technology'); don't get me wrong, but with the benefit of hindsight (even 60's hindsight) their Airships were as blinkered by the sexiness of supersonics as their USAF cousins.  Had they not been then the RAF's natural Canberra replacement in the mid-60s would have been the Buccaneer.

Economies of scale, development potential, etc, could have resulted in the Bucc seeing wider service than was actually the case.

Oh, and in the end the Bucc did replace the Canberra in the RAF, just 10 or so years too late!

So the RAF should have joined in with the RN, ditched the TSR.2 early in its development and gone, as suggested, with the Buccaneer.  In terms of any defence project/procurement, there's a national industrial/employment/trade aspect that procurement of the Buccaneer would have additionally satisfied these UK plc interests. Would the TSR.2 have done so to the same extent? We'll never know, of course.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

royabulgaf

Interesting idea, Kitbasher.  The B-58 and F-111 were broadly similar designs to the TSR2, and had protracted development or were hangar queens.  An earlier RAF Buccaneer could have lead to perhaps, a thin wing second generation Buc, or maybe the Jaguar as a serious two service attack craft, with no real pretense as a transonic trainer. 
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

PR19_Kit

The whole point about the Buccs thick wings were that it could handle the heavy gust issues at ultra-low levels that it operated at. If they were thinner it'd have had to fly higher thus losing it's major advantage over the more conventional opposition.

Check with Red Flag F-15 pilots on the latter subject.......  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Ah the Jaguar. In my alternative RAF I feel a license-built A-7 Corsair would have been the RAF's bomb truck instead of the Jaguar.  I think there's an inevitability about the Jaguar given the political/industrial climate of the 60s. It wasn't a bad aircraft - maybe just developed to its full potential.  At the end of its RAF life it got the uprated Adours it'd so needed for so long and a big-wing version (as touted in the 80s I recall) would have provided the extra stores pylons it needed.

Ideally then the Corsair IHMO but the Jaguar was always going to happen, I'd suggest.

Mind you, Corsair in the RAF and not in the FAA (because the Bucc was in service)? Maybe that alone would have been enough to guarantee the Jaguar!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter