Aircraft that Britain Shouldn't have had

Started by DarrenP, July 17, 2014, 01:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

It's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to cover this particular subject without including politics.

Sir George Edwards said of the TSR2 'All aircraft have four dimensions, length, width, height and politics. The TSR2 only got the first three correct'................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Quote from: DarrenP on October 27, 2014, 01:40:27 AM
early 70's F111 & F4 still in production

But the Pig was a political non-starter, as has already been said. And the Phantom is as old as the Buccaneer! No chance of getting that approved. Furthermore, both are American, and not really plausible given the financial state of the country at the time.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

XV107

If that's in response to the query about alternatives.

The F-111K had been cancelled once. There was no way that the government, even a Heath government, was going to revisit that. The fact that to do so would involve abandoning the MRCA project, complete with the effect upon the British aviation industry and jobs that'd have had (even had licence production been arranged) meant that once cancelled, it wouldn't come back.

And the F-4 couldn't deliver against the requirement for the strike/attack aircraft to penetrate enemy air defences at 100ft AGL and to deliver weapons accurately without a major [read very, very expensive] upgrade. The Tornado was the first RAF aircraft which could, in fact, meet its operational declaration day or night and in all weathers.

So again, when measured against a host of historical, anecdotal and documentary evidence which suggests otherwise, I can't quite see how the charge of mediocrity stacks up. :unsure:

scooter

Quote from: pyro-manic on October 27, 2014, 03:19:59 PM

But the Pig was a political non-starter, as has already been said. And the Phantom is as old as the Buccaneer! No chance of getting that approved. Furthermore, both are American, and not really plausible given the financial state of the country at the time.

Nor, do I think, the US Navy was going to sell Britain A-6Es.  Hell, AFAIK, the Intruder was never sold to anyone
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

DarrenP

F4 J would have been a better replacement for the lightning

PR19_Kit

Quote from: DarrenP on October 27, 2014, 03:56:59 PM
F4 J would have been a better replacement for the lightning

74 Sqdn would agree with you, because that's EXACTLY what they did.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 27, 2014, 03:07:45 PM
It's extremely difficult, if not impossible, to cover this particular subject without including politics.

I appreciate that Kit but we had started to move away from the politics of procurement into some more comparative areas which could have opened an entirely new can of worms.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

martinbayer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 27, 2014, 03:07:45 PM
Sir George Edwards said of the TSR2 'All aircraft have four dimensions, length, width, height and politics. The TSR2 only got the first three correct'................

Wasn't that Sir Sidney Camm?

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

PR19_Kit

I don't think so, Sir George was the Chairman of BAC who built it, so he'd be more likely to have said it than a competing chairman.

Regards
Kit

martinbayer

Hmm - every single reference I found, such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Camm, claims it was Camm...

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

PR19_Kit

Whatever, it's the thought behind it that I was trying to emphasise.

Regards
Kit

McColm

Didn't Maggie have a go and get the TSR2 project into production?

XV107

Not quite - a chap called de Vere, who was involved with (owned?) an aviation company, put forward this idea in the late 70s. Long story short - this was eventually run in Air Pictorial in 1981, but with unspecified MPs asking Mrs T to restore the aircraft. It 's covered in detail (not that there's much of that about the idea to be working with£ in Damian Burke's book which gives, IMHO, the best account of the suggested reappearance of a very expensive aeroplane (in the midst of a financial crisis and the Nott defence review...)

McColm