The EB52 Megafortress

Started by maxmwill, July 18, 2014, 07:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxmwill

There is an author, Dale Brown, who writes military techno fiction.

Among the aircraft in "Dreamland", in Nevada, he has some aircraft which might make for some interesting whiff.

One of which is the EB52, which was a series of B52s that were modified. Instead of the 8 J57s, he had 4 high bypass turbofan engines. The tail has been modified as well to a butterfly tail, is also considered to be stealthy, and is called the Megafortress

kerick

I remember this from reading "Flight of the Old Dog".
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

There's been at least one Megafortress appear on here in the last few years.

Darned if I can remember who did it/them though.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

philp

Not mine but one of the SLC locals did this one almost 20 years ago.

And this one is by Eddie Miller whom I think is on here.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/52197.aspx?sort=DESC

And another:
http://www.nopms.net/images/116-Aircraft.jpg
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Flyer on July 19, 2014, 12:51:42 AM
that first one still has J57's

I think they're TF-33s aren't they? You can see the front fan duct and only the TF-33s had them.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

maxmwill

Here's what I found in the Wikipedia page on the BUFF:

For a study for the U.S. Air Force in the mid-1970s, Boeing investigated replacing the engines, changing to a new wing, and other improvements to upgrade B-52G/H aircraft as an alternative to the B-1A, then in development.[104] Boeing later suggested re-engining the B-52H fleet with the Rolls-Royce RB211 535E-4.[105] This would involve replacing the eight Pratt & Whitney TF33s (total thrust 8 × 17,000 lb) with four RB211s (total thrust 4 × 37,400 lb)—which would increase range and reduce fuel consumption, at a cost of approximately US$2.56 billion for the whole fleet (71 aircraft at $36 million each). A Government Accountability Office study concluded that Boeing's estimated savings of US$4.7 billion would not be realized and that it would cost US$1.3 billion over keeping the existing engines, citing significant up-front procurement and re-tooling expenditure, as well as the RB211's higher maintenance cost. The GAO report was subsequently disputed in a Defense Sciences Board report in 2003; the Air Force was urged to re-engine the aircraft without delay.[106] Further, the DSB report stated the program would have significant savings, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and increase aircraft range and endurance, in line with the conclusions of a separate Congress-funded study conducted in 2003.[107] The re-engining has not been approved as of 2013.

Captain Canada

I had never seen that last link up there...looks like a Concorde nose. Conversely, the first one looks like it has a Backfire nose !

PS-We need another epic Eddie build around here !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

sandiego89

Quote from: Flyer on July 19, 2014, 04:46:29 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 19, 2014, 04:42:27 AM
Quote from: Flyer on July 19, 2014, 12:51:42 AM
that first one still has J57's

I think they're TF-33s aren't they? You can see the front fan duct and only the TF-33s had them.
probably, I honestly don't know, I was only going by what maxmwill called the original BUFF engines :-\
I'll re-phrase: that first one doe's not have 4 turbofans ;D

To be completely pedantic, that one has 8 turbofans.  The B-52 H had 8 low bypass t-33 turbofans, and that old dog model looks to have the t-33's. Does not look much different that the earlier turbojet versions, just that the forward cowl is slightly larger for the low pressure section fan.  Airliner type high bypass turbofans have a much more obviously larger fan section.  

The re-engining program has come up several times. If they had bought the bullet a few years ago, billions could have been saved by now.  

Frankly Dale Brown lost me after the after the first Old Dog book- pushed it a tad to far with unbelievable physics, characters and plots.    
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

lenny100

I did one sevral years ago will see if i still have photos around
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Go4fun

I like the deflectors over the front of the engines on this one posted by Philip.

And another:
http://www.nopms.net/images/116-Aircraft.jpg
"Just which planet are you from again"?

scooter

Quote from: Flyer on July 19, 2014, 06:32:01 AM
Quote from: sandiego89 on July 19, 2014, 06:21:10 AM
Frankly Dale Brown lost me after the after the first Old Dog book- pushed it a tad to far with unbelievable physics, characters and plots.    
My personal favorite was Hammerheads, don't know if it was pre or post old dog, but I agree, I've read most of the crappy unbelievable Dreamland series mainly out of pure boredom, glad I have found a few more authors to read from...

Post Old Dog.  I stopped reading with Fatal Terrain
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

philp

If I remember correctly, the Old Dog still had the 8 engines.  It wasn't until the next book where the next upgrade changed it to the 4 larger engines.

Course, I read that so long ago I could be wrong but I always wanted to make one and my vision had the 8 engines so starting with a B-52H kit.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

sandiego89

Quote from: philp on July 19, 2014, 12:28:27 PM
If I remember correctly, the Old Dog still had the 8 engines.  It wasn't until the next book where the next upgrade changed it to the 4 larger engines.

Course, I read that so long ago I could be wrong but I always wanted to make one and my vision had the 8 engines so starting with a B-52H kit.

Yes IIRC you are correct, 8 regular B-52H series TF-33 turbofans in the first book, later on 4 turbofans.  - the old dog "megafortress" went through many upgrades in later books, but I had given up by then.....

I made one from the old 1/288? kit, will have to see if it survived.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

lenny100

old dog first was a upgraded b52h model, in old dog  and was baldly shot up on the mission just making it back to us airspace.
in skymasters (book 2) it is upgraded with new engines and new systems.
the old dog is only a test aircraft by day of the cheetah and is on a test flight when it is shot down by the stolen dreamstar aircraft with the loss of the crew apart from the ecm operator.
there is then several eb52 each with different equipment in fatal terrain  but by the next book most of them have been replaced by the eb-01 megabone
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Diamondback

Actually, the EB's had a long run through several books--I dropped out when Brown started going on a homicidal binge toward his main characters.

Whatever you do, if you're a member of That Other Spinoff Site from here, DO NOT mention anything to do with Brown or his works over there...