Jämi Fly-in Airshow 2014

Started by perttime, July 21, 2014, 05:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perttime

On 19 and 20 July, the 2014 Jämi Fly-in and Airshow was held at Jämijärvi, Finland.

Last year, they officially called it "The Most Laid-back Airshow in Finland" - and that is the way it always works out there. This year, there was a definite military theme, with a military ground vehicle Drive-In included - or as the announcers and Art Boss played it: kids playing with their toy cars and aeroplanes.

On Saturday, the event opened with a parachute jump in memory of those 8 who died in a jump plane crash in April. The DC-3 jump plane flew in formation with a Spitfire Mk. XVI. Footage by one of the parachutists:

http://youtu.be/Dw4uia7Z9Ng

I took some snapshots when I went on Sunday. I think there are some that might be worth posting. Here's a couple to start with:

Mikael Carlson's Fokker Dr.I and FVM Tummelisa replicas:

Dogfight: Mikael Carlson and Alexander Ryfa:

Reservist paratrooper floating over the audience (they used peace-time jumping altitude of 350 meters, so had to account for the wind drift to get them on the grass):

perttime

There was one more WW1 replica, also from Sweden: Daniel Ryfa's Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5a.
Unlike Mikael Carlson's replicas, it doesn't have an original engine. It says Lycoming on the cylinder heads  ;) Certainly easier to purchase and operate.

There's a modern instrument in the cockpit  :o

NARSES2

Lovely replica's  :wub:

That photo of the SE5a replica's cockpit is going to cause some controversy in 100 years time on Google  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

Some more... A couple of familiar shapes.

Noorduyn AT-16 Harvard IIB SE-FUZ. I thought it was the best looking of the three participating Texan/Harvard aircraft:

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XVI SE-BIR, owned by Biltema, a Swedish tools, car supplies, etc. retail store chain - and flown by Pär Cederqvist who says (my translation):  "It flies well, it turns well. It is as sweet as it looks".

Annddd.....
You don't want to upset the crew of the 122 panssarihaupitsi 74 ("2S1 Gvozdika" 122-mm self-propelled howitzer). Photo taken during the ground vehicles parade.

perttime

A few more from the ground vehicles parade:

ZIL 157 truck with ZU-23-2 twin anti-aircraft cannon:

(There was some more anti-aircraft activity too: I'm sure it was Mikael Carlson's wife was making some noise on the ground during the WW1 dogfights, using a tripod mounted "machinegun"  :o )

GAZ-69 light truck:

(I got a ride on this one. Some of the vehicles were used to shuttle people from, and to, the parking area that was a field behind one of the two runways)

Truck, 1/4 ton, 4x4:

White M2 Half Track Car:

Captain Canada

Looks like a nice little show ! Be cool to see some armour...hope to hit the Thunder Over Michigan show next month they do a WWII reenactment.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

perttime

Armour? Here's one more:
BMP-1 amphibious Infantry Fighting Vehicle

... and an airplane.
Mikael Carlson and assistant begin disassembling the Fokker Dr.I replica for transportation, under close supervision.

Once they got the propeller and cowling off, the whole crew joined in wiping off all the oil that they could find.

Captain Canada

Too bad those two girls are standing in the way, ruining the pic..... :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

perttime

Quote from: Captain Canada on July 23, 2014, 03:24:42 PM
Too bad those two girls are standing in the way, ruining the pic..... :thumbsup:
I got a few pics without those girls too. Maybe I should replace  :unsure:

perttime

OK  :mellow:
To remove prop from Fokker Dr.I replica...

1) unscrew that one threaded thing in the center with your long wrench (on the wheel). Do the rest with your hands. I think there was some sort of a bushing behind the threaded piece.

2) Once your strong assistant has carried the prop away, put the other pieces back in, so that you don't lose them.

3) Get the cowl off so that you have access to everything. (seemed easy. I don't remember what exactly is holding the cowl on.

4) Wipe off oil from all over your airplane, while everybody keeps juggling for position to photograph you doing it.

Captain Canada

Wow...does that ever throw alot of oil ! I hadn't noticed in the first pic ( I was too busy looking at girls  :wub: :wub: ) but it's everywhere ! Pretty neat to see them take it doen that far to clean it up/ service the aeroplane. Thanks !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: Captain Canada on July 24, 2014, 08:51:03 PM
Wow...does that ever throw alot of oil ! I hadn't noticed in the first pic ( I was too busy looking at girls  :wub: :wub: ) but it's everywhere ! Pretty neat to see them take it doen that far to clean it up/ service the aeroplane. Thanks !

That's why when you watch good WWI aerial films the pilot takes his goggles off to reveal the only clean area of his face  ;D

I know that rotaries were very bad for spewing oil (I think it was castor oil) but did the same thing happen with types like the Se 5a and Albatross ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 25, 2014, 06:43:20 AM

That's why when you watch good WWI aerial films the pilot takes his goggles off to reveal the only clean area of his face  ;D

I know that rotaries were very bad for spewing oil (I think it was castor oil) but did the same thing happen with types like the Se 5a and Albatross ?

Because it was Castor Oil, it caused severe diarrhoea amongst the pilots, giving them, quite literally the sh!ts.  It's why you never see an overweight WWI pilot in any of the photos of the period.  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

perttime

Pretty neat to see them take it doen that far to clean it up/ service the aeroplane. Thanks !
Removing the prop and cowl looked like a pretty simple operation. But actually they were disassembling the whole aircraft for ground transportation.

I found some footage from a few days earlier when they were assembling the WW1 replicas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJh4UqGjnPk

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 25, 2014, 06:43:20 AM

I fairly sure that these rotary engines had what is called a 'total loss' oil system, that's because once the oil had passed though the bearings it would froth up and was no good to recycle to use again, so it was just ejected overboard.  Pretty much what Speedway bikes run like these days.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike