Air Cushion Landing System

Started by McColm, July 27, 2014, 05:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

The Buffalo XC-8A was fitted with an air cushion landing system . Which could render the aircraft fully amphibious go anywhere, land anywhere. Making it ideal for special missions or for use in disasters delivering food and aid.
Only one was built and returned back to service after trials.
This got me thinking to use something similar on a 1/72 C-130. Previously known as the 'Mad Hatter' EC-130V.
I'm using parts from the AC-119G/K gunship: twin boom and wings. The two radial engines have been replaced with two resin PW turboprops from the Heritage Aviation Models Limited conversion range. The vertical tail from the C-130 has been removed and the rear fuselage shortened. Using parts from the wheel house of the Revell 1/144 Lockheed Sea Shadow stealth ship. This now gives the impression of camshell doors. The sharp edges are blended into the fuselage with thin strips of plasticard. Filler will be smoothed over the joins.
The previous builder managed to get glue on the cockpit glazing. This will be removed, depends on how tricky the section is, when I try to separate it from the fuselage.
Got a few sets of the Hamilton four bladed props, which might need trimming before fitting.
Falcon FNC005 do the HC-130F and FlightPath do the C-130E/HC-130P. They also do the MC-130 Combat Talon II. I might combine the two
The air cushion is off the Airfix 1/144 Hoverspeed Hovercraft kit.
Other parts from the gunship are the two turbojet auxiliary engines. First thought was to hang them underneath the wing, but I want to add fuel tanks so the engines will be mounted above the wings or above the wing cross section.
The AC-119 will be fitted with tilting wings.
Haven't sorted out a colour scheme yet, but the idea of folding the wings seems promising.

kerick

This sounds quite ambitious! I'll be watching.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

That does sound ambitious !

There was a link here ( or somewhere...maybe that site where that goofy guy keeps calling the M-113 a Gavin ) that had a whole article in .pdf format that was really awesome !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

I think one of the Whiffers bought the Buffalo XC-8A model kit.