"Ackwisch" walking tank, plus HMMWV & display base (beauty pics on P. 2)

Started by Dizzyfugu, July 28, 2014, 01:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

WiP, but you get the idea...  ;)

1:72 "Ackwisch" walking tank (inspired by Patlabor & Gundam, based on a Merkava tank) - WIP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

A diorama/base with a desert setting is planned, too.

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Captain Canada

That's pretty neat ! I like the painting set up as well.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

deathjester

nighthunter

So, is it going to be Israeli?

Cobra

Awesome Work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Feels like something fro either Battletech or the Front Mission series! Hope to see More Great Stuff from You :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot for your attention and feedback.
Actually, this tank has no "real" benchmark - the original inspiration/idea was to scratch a more or less "realistic" walking tank, despite the shortcomings of this rather romantic concept.
It was to look futuristic, though, with little effort, so I settled for the Merkava as hull basis due to its unique layout. I think that the rear turret is more practical for a tank that might have to climb obstacles or steep cliffs - a protruding barrel might be cumbersome?

Six legs were chosen for stability reasons. Four are IMHO not enough, for a stable platform, weight distribution and the fact that the thing will certainly lose some of them during battle.
The legs are massive resin parts, from two (cheapo) recast kits from the "Junk Rock Tank" series - I used another kit from that series for a similar 1:35 project, for a small Ma.K. walking tank in a bigger diorama scene:

1:35 (Inspired by) Maschinen Krieger - PzKl. HX-39 "Krampus" (Kit bashing/scratch-built) - Detail shot by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:35 Maschinen Krieger/SF3D - Commando "Dead Snow": Assault on  Torifujiograd, Winter 2884 (Diorama competition submission) - Beauty shot by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

More about the diorama and the "Grampus" tank here, if you are interested:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dizzyfugu/sets/72157635169966854/

The Ackwisch follows a similar concept. As a technical twist I added doll ball joints as connections between the resin legs and the tank hull - they remain (re)moveable, so that the tank can be more easily adapted to its base.

1:72 "Ackwisch" walking tank (inspired by Patlabor & Gundam, based on a Merkava tank) - WIP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The Ackwisch is not intended to be Israeli anymore, even though it initially started as a "Merkava VI" and AFAIK the name means "Spider". It will also receive similar colors, though (all sand gray), but it is now rather intended to become more of a SF/near future mecha.

Stay tuned...  :tank:

dumaniac

great concept - nice build

Dizzyfugu

Thank you - here's a bit more of inspirational stuff behind the Ackwisch, e. g. the MS Igloo from Gundam:

Or the YMT-05 Hildolfr (whoever came up with THAT name... :rolleyes:):

And the "Type 98 Multiple Combat Command Labor" from the Patlabor 2 movie - IMHO the most sound design for a legged tank I have seen this far, and it is more than 20 years old!

nighthunter

There's an interesting Idea, a UN peacekeeper in a desert nation in the future?

nighthunter