Halloween variation Re: Boeing 727-Be6 flying boat

Started by ericr, July 28, 2014, 11:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericr

So, I had this Beriev 6 "Madge" fuselage over :

after having used the wings to fit a whale of the apropriate size in my aircraft/animals hybrids series :
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,37003.msg629078.html#msg629078

And I wondered how to best use its beatiful hull ... It seemed to be essentially a matter of width of a fuselage to be put on top.

And on the other hand I had this 1/100 B727 from old times East Germany (actually the same brand which originally produced the Be-6, incidentally) :

I planned to use it for a hommage to Alexander Calder's Flying Colours of Branniff fame :

but this was postponed when I discovered that it was just the appropriate size. Given that its three jet intakes are at a height able to discourage questions about spray, I went into cutting and filling and a bit of sanding, and here it comes (in blue) :

wingtip tanks / stabilizers are from some unkown remnants ...

In the meantime, I have realized that this B727 has become rarer than I thought, so the Calder build might get delayed ...

PR19_Kit

A flying boat 727, magic!  :thumbsup: :bow:

And clever scale-orama with the two models as well.

I did that Calder 727 in 1/144 some years ago using a Jet Set (I think...) decal sheet and it makes a super looking model. I'll do the Calder DC8 sometime too, I've got the kit and the decals.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

This is... sick! But I love it!  :wub:

McColm

Great idea, that would work well with a B-52 in the same scale.

Captain Canada

Very nice ! Looks the part, that's for sure ! I think a little more imagination on the wing tip floats would be nice tho  :thumbsup:

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

TallEng

That is good :thumbsup:
I shall have to keep an eye out for a Revell Madge, it looks
Like o good souce of Wiff bits ;D

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

NARSES2

That does look right, great idea and work  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Its the reboxed PlayFiix Be-6. The plastic is thick and very brittle. They crop up on eBay depends if the seller knows what it is.

loupgarou

Wow, very aggressive nose! :wub:
It's wasted as a civilian aircraft, what about a maritime patrol/bomber, or even maybe a sort of ekranoplan with shorter wings ? (sorry Kit  ;D)
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

ericr

thank you all

the nose does have some character indeed  ;D
and the wing floats are a bit cheap I confess  I would have preferred oval shaped wing tanks but couldn't find better in my scrap boxes ...

pyro-manic

I love it! :wub: I would agree that the tip floats need revising, but it's a real looker. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

zenrat

How did I miss this?
Very good.  Looks like something Convair would have come up with.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

ericr

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 29, 2014, 12:44:01 AM
I did that Calder 727 in 1/144 some years ago using a Jet Set (I think...) decal sheet and it makes a super looking model. I'll do the Calder DC8 sometime too, I've got the kit and the decals.

by the way, there are possibilities for a Branniff Clader Whif, in the sense that some of the designs were not actually applied on flying aircraft, as shown here :
http://www.braniffpages.com/calder/calder.html

no decals available  :wacko:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ericr on August 19, 2014, 12:40:27 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 29, 2014, 12:44:01 AM

by the way, there are possibilities for a Branniff Clader Whif, in the sense that some of the designs were not actually applied on flying aircraft, as shown here :
http://www.braniffpages.com/calder/calder.html

no decals available  :wacko:

What a super web page, thanks ericr.  :thumbsup:

A good friend of mine worked for Branniff at Kennedy for many years and took LOADS of pics of the Calder Eight for me, and sent them in a Branniff Plastic bag with a 4-view of the Eight on it! I liked it so much I flattened it out and framed it, so it hangs on the wall above one of my model shelves to this day.  ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ericr

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 19, 2014, 01:13:59 PM
A good friend of mine worked for Branniff at Kennedy for many years and took LOADS of pics of the Calder Eight for me, and sent them in a Branniff Plastic bag with a 4-view of the Eight on it! I liked it so much I flattened it out and framed it, so it hangs on the wall above one of my model shelves to this day.  ;D

some plastic bags do deserve to be framed indeed !!! :cheers: