Floating wing concepts

Started by McColm, August 02, 2014, 09:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 26, 2014, 06:59:12 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on September 25, 2014, 02:30:55 PM
I've got the Omega Hurricane Slip-wing in my stash ---

Bet that cost an arm and a leg ? I've a few Omega bits in the stash and they can be pricey.

Yeah -- well  --- erm!  I've got eight of them, all different Hurricanes -- 
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

JayBee

The upper wing for the Hurricane was to be used so that the aircraft could take off with an over-weight load of fuel, once in the air the upper wing would be jettisoned.

To prove the concept F. Hill & Sons produced what we would now call a technology demonstrator called the Hillson BI-MONO.
Built using a number of  components from the Percival Proctor it was flown in both monoplane and Bi-plane forms.
The single successful flight in which the upper wings was released was carried out at a height of 4'500ft over the sea off Blackpool on the 16th July 1941.

The following photos of the Bi-Mono are taken from "British Aircraft at War 1939 – 45" by Gordon Swanborough.
Published by HPC Publishing.
ISBN  0-9531421-0-8

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

I've never seen that Jim (or forgotten it), many thanks  :thumbsup:

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 27, 2014, 07:38:02 AM

Bet that cost an arm and a leg ? I've a few Omega bits in the stash and they can be pricey.

Yeah -- well  --- erm!  I've got eight of them, all different Hurricanes -- 

My admiration grows  :bow: Does the wife know ?

Most of mine are the armament options they do and for what you get they are  :banghead: Bought them when I first got back into the hobby and was on a bit of a feeding rush
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 28, 2014, 07:36:30 AM

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 27, 2014, 07:38:02 AM

Yeah -- well  --- erm!  I've got eight of them, all different Hurricanes --  

Does the wife know ?

;D       ;)

Reading about the slip-wing, and the aircraft the concept was tested on, it was not liked by the test pilots ---

JayBee

Then of course  there was the Malianowski wing designed to increase the ferry range of the Spitfire.

This illustration taken from "The Spitfire story" by Alfred Price.

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

PR19_Kit

My old time friend, about as 'old time' as you Jim  ;D, Ian Peacock built that Malinowski Spitfire in 1/48 from an Otaki kit (I think....) and a lot of scratcbuilding. He bought it along to the MK show this year and suitably wowed the Joe and Jane Publics with its weirdness.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Reminds me of the Lockheed Lightning.

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 28, 2014, 10:06:26 AM
My old time friend, about as 'old time' as you Jim  ;D, Ian Peacock built that Malinowski Spitfire in 1/48 from an Otaki kit (I think....) and a lot of scratcbuilding. He bought it along to the MK show this year and suitably wowed the Joe and Jane Publics with its weirdness.

WOW!

Cats are not real. 

kitnut617

Quote from: JayBee on September 28, 2014, 08:45:57 AM
Then of course  there was the Malianowski wing designed to increase the ferry range of the Spitfire.

This illustration taken from "The Spitfire story" by Alfred Price.

The obvious thing I notice right away, the booms cut right through the rear wing spar, that's the one the ailerons and flaps are attached to -  :blink:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 28, 2014, 01:39:18 PM
The obvious thing I notice right away, the booms cut right through the rear wing spar, that's the one the ailerons and flaps are attached to -  :blink:

It's a 1:1th scale Whiff, I think they had plans for getting around that problem, and I DO mean 'around'.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Cats are not real. 

wuzak

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2014, 08:48:26 AM
It's the self supporting flying fuel tank the Luftwaffe trialled with a number of types. I'm not sure if it was ever used operationally though, anyone know?

I don't think it was.

Certsinly not with the He 177.

jcf

How about the 'tank-wing trailer' or a pair of fuel 'gliders'?

A NACA report from July 1942 that has both:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19930092474.pdf

B-17, B-24, B-25 and B-26.  ;D

Oh, yeah it also mentions carrying additional bombs in the 'over-sized' trailers for
the B-17 and B-24. :thumbsup:

wuzak

I thought that additional bombs could be carried for the same range if the bomber could carry less fuel itself, the trailer carrying the extra required.