Has anyone built this model?

Started by maxmwill, August 03, 2014, 03:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxmwill

I realize that there is a thread on speculation about various Horton designs, one of them mentioned being the IAe38 Argentine transport, and, seeing as I wasn't familiar with that, did some looking, found an article, as well as pics, but also a resin kit of this in 1/72 scale, which, given that it was supposed to be a rather sizable aircraft, should be a pretty good size kit.

So, I'm wondering if anyone built this kit, or scratch built a model of this?

Having a soft spot in my heart for large flying wings, even a transport as homely as this one, I'm thinking of ordering the kit from Unicraft, and the recommended color of this, orange, sounds nifty.

NARSES2

From memory I think the kit is a Unicraft one ?

Now there are various views regarding Unicraft kits ranging from the unprintable in a family website to the "well if you take your time, replace a lot of the smaller parts, then you will eventually get a model of the subject". I fall in the latter category having built a few of them but they are not for those new to resin or for those of a nervous nature. However they can be built into superb models if you have oodles of skill and patience. Mine come into the "presentable" category.

In all seriousness unless you have had the chance to look at a Unicraft kit in the box I would not buy sight unseen as it would be a shock to the system.

They are also very expensive, particularly when looking at the quality of the resin and the casting.

Buyer beware

Sorry if I seem very down on them (as I say I've built a few and like the subjects) but it really is a case with this brand of knowing what you are going to get before you buy.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

maxmwill

Well, Not knowing a thing about them, many months ago, I did buy a kit, a BICh3, and ended up having a lot of fun with this, as it was my first resin kit.

But then, as to the line of aircraft designed and built by Chyerenovskii, I am very familiar with, most notably the BICh7A, of which a few RC models of,

And had seen the ad for the IAe38, and so had been very curious about it, and got even more curious when I saw it mentioned here in that thread.

NARSES2

Quote from: maxmwill on August 04, 2014, 03:20:28 AM
Well, Not knowing a thing about them, many months ago, I did buy a kit, a BICh3, and ended up having a lot of fun with this, as it was my first resin kit.

Unicraft for a first resin kit ? Wow. All I can say is that if you get something like a Czech Master or Planet kit then you will really enjoy it as they tend to be superb. Lets just say Unicraft are at the other end of the scale.

Glad you had a lot of fun with it as that is the whole point of the hobby  :thumbsup: and where else would you get a model of the type ?

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

maxmwill

Well, when I was considering what to build for my first resin kit, I wanted something fairly simple, yet distinctive(what else would any of us build if not distinctive? I realize that many modellers are satisfied with still another BF109, or P51, just to name the more ubiquitous of choices, as well as the few others which have been modelled almost to insipidity, but those of us who would prefer to take the path not so well beaten down, there are the smaller outfits, such as Unicraft, at least for resin. For other media, such as vacform, while the little outfits that flourished during the 80s offered some pretty good choices, now not so much), and having built, straight from a tiny 3 view, a rubber scale model of the BICh7A(and, surprisingly enough, it flew just about right off the drawing board with minimal changes needed), I wanted to eventually build the 3.

Now, I have been familiar with the general fragility of resin, and the BICh3 had a few tiny parts that couldn't be used, by any stretch of the imagination, such as the tail skid and the wing tip skids(the 3 has a single central wheel, with outrigger tip skids), so those were easy to duplicate with a bit of card and some tiny rod, and the two exhaust pipes were better when rod was used, but all in all, I ended up with something that may not be show quality, but I happen to like it.

And, all during this little journey, I have been thinking, in the back of my mind, if either of these wouldn't make for a dandy and distinctive full size home built, what with the big, broad parabolic delta wings, and low power engine requirements.

Being an A&P mechanic does that to me. ;)