Farnborough Airshow 2014

Started by Nick, August 05, 2014, 03:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

On Saturday 19th July I was invited by a friend to watch the Farnborough Airshow for free from his office car park. Being short of cash I went along for a freebie and had a rather good day. Enjoy the photos!

His office is next to the former Farnborough Terminal building, now a business park.

This is the wind tunnel building, now preserved but looking for a regular user.

The old airship hangar has been saved for posterity.

This was once a deep trench 300ft long full of water. They used it to test flying boat hulls and possibly the bouncing bomb...

The smaller wind tunnel next door. The buildings still show signs of WW2 camouflage paint outside.

Nick

An Ag-Plane to keep the really slow types happy!

Airbus 380, Spanish Harrier and the "Dead Sparrows" :rolleyes:

Breitling Wingwalkers

Airbus 380

Nick

Airbus A400M Grizzly / Atlas

Just think, the Vulcan design was probably tested in this very wind tunnel house.

Nick

The Avro Nineteen Anson from the Shuttleworth Collection, beautiful!

Nick

The Red Arrows. As if you need me to tell you that!  :rolleyes: ;D

There are all 9 Reds in this picture. You just have to look very closely!

Nick

Breitling's Super Constellation

A trio of Dakotas. I wonder if there's a new D-Day film being made?
Note the difference shades in the paint schemes...

Eurofighter Typhoon

Spitfire twin seater SM520 from the Boultbee Flight Academy who bought it in 2009 for £1,739,500  :o

PR19_Kit

It's not what you know, it's WHO you know....  ;D

Green with envy mode off here Nick, but SUPERB shots anyway and you couldn't have wished for a better location.

The shot with XH558, XH134 and the A380 and Grizzly in the background is positively surreal!

JMN mode on here but I think the plaque on the big wind tunnel is wrong now. The HUGE NLR tunnel at Vollenhove in Holland, on the Nord Oost Polder, is even larger I think. I've stood in it and you could get a whole Hunter in there!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn Gilbertson

Terrific pictures, Nick, thanks for sharing them. :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

You're a lucky man Nick ! That looks an awesome place to see a show from ! And instead of being in line ups and surrounded by vendors, you got a terrific historical tour ! Thanks for sharing those pics especially....what a treat.

PS-that Super Hornet looks absolutely deadly with all that hardware !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

deathjester

Nicely blagged mate, nicely blagged!!  Looks like you had a whale of a time there - wish they still televised it!

McColm

lancer

Love the pictures Nick. I was ready to go to this, had the tickets and everything, I was going with one of my best mates, but my recent illness prevented it becuase of my bloody foot I couldn't walk.. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die