Viggenize it!

Started by The Rat, August 06, 2014, 05:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Thanks Scooter! I'll have to check my stash.
Quote from: Wardukw on October 01, 2023, 11:31:51 AM
Quote from: kerick on October 01, 2023, 11:18:31 AMI have a two seat F-104 also. Hmmmmm.....
Wild Weasel?
Hmmmmmm ??? Is right Ken .
Would have to see the weapons load out on a weasel and see how close you could get with the 104 .
But this is a damn cool idea 💡 😄

I may be talking myself into something......
SEA scheme, Hill grey or something original?
Fields and meadows would be a challenge.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

For research purposes, MBB in Germany created the F-104 CCV, which had a second fin tip and tailplane mounted just behind the cockpit and a fly-by-wire system. The idea was to get info on FBW and unstable aircraft for what became the Eurofighter project. Now imagine a productionized version of this: with both canards and tailplanes acting as lifting surfaces, you'd have basically double the wing for the same tiny span, which would give a much shorter take-off run, much lower landing speed and much greater agility. Perhaps the ideal application would be a naval fighter, since it could be compact without needed a folding wing, much like a Sea Harrier or Skyhawk.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

A Starfighter bi-plane, whatever next ? Open cockpits ?  ;)  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 02, 2023, 06:59:35 AMA Starfighter bi-plane, whatever next ? Open cockpits ?  ;)  :angel:

Hmmmm....... :wacko:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Doing a little research into the RW comparison between the Viggen and F-104. Viggen was way more powerful than the Starfighter. I'm thinking of more of a Starfighter/Viggen blend. Wings and rear fuselage of the Viggen with the RM8 engine and Starfighter forward fuselage. A bunch more work but could be interesting.
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 02, 2023, 06:59:35 AMA Starfighter bi-plane, whatever next ? Open cockpits ?  ;)  :angel:

Triplane, if you please. Needs painting red, obviously...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

Pulled out the Viggen I built way back when. Then I dropped it...... Busted off the landing gear and weapons. It could have been worse. I recovered all the parts except one rear wheel. I got out the Heller F-104G kit that has been in the stash since forever. It has a two seat option that might work. I cut the Viggen behind the intakes and checked the fit between the two. I might be able to use modified Viggen intakes. A little gluing, a little putty, a little sanding and a plausible paint scheme!
Tophe the Wise

Wardukw

Quote from: kerick on October 16, 2023, 07:40:02 PMPulled out the Viggen I built way back when. Then I dropped it...... Busted off the landing gear and weapons. It could have been worse. I recovered all the parts except one rear wheel. I got out the Heller F-104G kit that has been in the stash since forever. It has a two seat option that might work. I cut the Viggen behind the intakes and checked the fit between the two. I might be able to use modified Viggen intakes. A little gluing, a little putty, a little sanding and a plausible paint scheme!
Ohhh I'm thinking this is going to be pretty cool Ken ...I'm drawing up plans in my head for my F-104 ...im having some pretty good ideas  :wacko:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Old Wombat

Quote from: kerick on October 16, 2023, 07:40:02 PMPulled out the Viggen I built way back when. Then I dropped it...... Busted off the landing gear and weapons. It could have been worse. I recovered all the parts except one rear wheel. I got out the Heller F-104G kit that has been in the stash since forever. It has a two seat option that might work. I cut the Viggen behind the intakes and checked the fit between the two. I might be able to use modified Viggen intakes. A little gluing, a little putty, a little sanding and a plausible paint scheme!

It was telling you it HAD to be Whiffed! ;D  :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I have a Hasegawa Viggen.  I was thinking of De-Viggenising it
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kerick

Quote from: zenrat on October 17, 2023, 02:49:14 AMI have a Hasegawa Viggen.  I was thinking of De-Viggenising it

Phantom wings and phins?
This is sounding like a version of Trashcanistan.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

The Viggen parts are in the stripper bath. Yeah, go ahead and giggle.  :rolleyes:  He's a couple of pics of it taped together.

The wings look a little too far to the rear but changing that would be lots more work. Overall looks pretty good. I'm trying to use only the two seater parts from the Heller kit so I can build the single seater some day. I'm looking at replacing the Viggen tail fin with a new one in the shape of a taller F-104G tail. Hmmm, more work.
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

What a loooooooooong nose you've got!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

perttime

That is a loooong forward fuselage. Perhaps big canards or second wing in the front half?

Old Wombat

I'm sure the undersides are perfectly aligned but I think the F-104 (front) section needs to be angled down a bit, there's a weird banananana look happening there. :blink:

And, yes, it needs canards! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est