Viggenize it!

Started by The Rat, August 06, 2014, 05:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Quote from: Scotaidh on October 22, 2023, 12:21:04 PM
Quote from: kerick on October 17, 2023, 10:45:40 PMThe Viggen parts are in the stripper bath. Yeah, go ahead and giggle.  :rolleyes:  He's a couple of pics of it taped together.

The wings look a little too far to the rear but changing that would be lots more work. Overall looks pretty good. I'm trying to use only the two seater parts from the Heller kit so I can build the single seater some day. I'm looking at replacing the Viggen tail fin with a new one in the shape of a taller F-104G tail. Hmmm, more work.

The F-104's tail, complete with stabilizer, would certainly add more 'wing' area, although I'd still want canards.  Thinking of canard aircraft, though, leads me to the IAI Kfir.  Besides all the wing areas, it also had, on either side of the nose cone, a flat trapezoidal surface, quite small, that was said to give a noticeable lift to the nose.

I red-circled them in this picture: 

I've never noticed that before. Thanks! I'll look into it.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

My tuppence worth: I prefer the look with the wings right where they are & the tail could be enlarged by removing it, adding styrene underneath it & shaping that to fit the profile, then re-attaching it.

That way you retain the "Viggen-ness" of the design.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

thundereagle1997

Viggenize the F-111 F-106 F-105 & F-35.

thundereagle1997

Viggenize the A-10 Thunderbolt II.

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

The Rat

Saab Draken with canards, a taste of what was to come.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

JerrySyameimaru

Convair did in fact do research on the canard F-16.

Rick Lowe

Interesting, thanks.  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Quote from: Scotaidh on October 22, 2023, 12:21:04 PMThinking of canard aircraft, though, leads me to the IAI Kfir.  Besides all the wing areas, it also had, on either side of the nose cone, a flat trapezoidal surface, quite small, that was said to give a noticeable lift to the nose.

I think that is just called a "Strake".

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

thundereagle1997

Viggenize the SR-71 Blackbird.

mexchiwa

Quote from: thundereagle1997 on August 15, 2024, 03:02:04 AMViggenize the SR-71 Blackbird.

I'm sure I've seen wind tunnel models of the A-12 in development that had canards

Beermonster58

Quote from: mexchiwa on August 24, 2024, 05:03:26 PM
Quote from: thundereagle1997 on August 15, 2024, 03:02:04 AMViggenize the SR-71 Blackbird.

I'm sure I've seen wind tunnel models of the A-12 in development that had canards
You have indeed. This is a concept image of the A-12 that might have been  ;D
https://flic.kr/p/2qbZXeP
Hates rivet counters! Eats JMNs for breakfast!

zenrat

Quote from: Beermonster58 on August 24, 2024, 09:43:07 PM
Quote from: mexchiwa on August 24, 2024, 05:03:26 PM

You have indeed. This is a concept image of the A-12 that might have been  ;D
https://flic.kr/p/2qbZXeP

And, it's not black.  Looks OK in graphite (?) but I reckon a dark  blue would really hit the spot.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..