Viggenize it!

Started by The Rat, August 06, 2014, 05:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Yeah, I know canards were around long before the Viggen, but it's such a cool aircraft that I'll use it as the poster-child for the concept. So, here it is: envision any well-known aircraft that could be modified with canards, and possibly an extended forward fuselage to accommodate them. I've often thought about doing it to a Vulcan, and recently the Javelin and F-106 came to mind. For some reason it seems more natural with a delta, but it wouldn't be required. We already know it was done with a few aircraft, the Kfir is the obvious one, and experimental versions of the F-4 and F-15.

Post pics, build a model, or just speculate, but VIGGENIZE IT!

Javelin concept, note that I just moved the horizontal stabiliser from the tail to the nose.

Scale-O-Rama Bombcorde fighter, never got around to tweaking the front and side views

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

scooter

Quote from: The Rat on August 06, 2014, 05:33:48 AMI've often thought about doing it to a Vulcan, and recently the Javelin and F-106 came to mind.

Convair beat you to it, by about 60 years :wacko:

QuoteThe F-106X (Model 8-28/8-29) was a 1956 design study for a Delta Dart follow-on. This study envisaged an interceptor with a canard layout that was powered by a JT4B-22 turbojet fed by rectangular air intakes. It was envisaged as an alternative to the Lockheed YF-12 (later SR-71), and was to have had a fire control system with "look-down, shoot-down" capability fed by a 40-inch radar dish.  The F-106X was extremely advanced for its time with Mach 5 performance envisaged.
F-106C/D/X
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on August 06, 2014, 05:33:48 AM
Javelin concept, note that I just moved the horizontal stabiliser from the tail to the nose.

The Flatiron may well have flown better arranged like that!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Ya canards always look cool ! The F-106 looks wicked. Might as well do an F-102 as well eh ?

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Jesse220

Dizzyfugu

I have a viggen-ized MiG-23 on the (long agenda). Don't laugh, it's a real concept from China - one of the many evolutionaly steps of the stillborn J-9 fighter. At some time it looked like this:

famvburg

Isn't that the MiG-25 looking version?

The Rat

Weaver

Hmm, here's a thought: if they'd kept using Vulcans for low-level work a bit longer, and then done an extensive re-build/upgrade on them, you might have seen them fitted with small smart-canards for high-speed low-level gust alleviation, the concept being similar to the LARC (Low Altitude Ride Control) fins seen on the B-1.

Also, a quick jog around my hard drive produced this long-forgotten little number:

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Rat

Quote from: Weaver on December 28, 2017, 10:38:27 PM
Hmm, here's a thought: if they'd kept using Vulcans for low-level work a bit longer, and then done an extensive re-build/upgrade on them, you might have seen them fitted with small smart-canards for high-speed low-level gust alleviation, the concept being similar to the LARC (Low Altitude Ride Control) fins seen on the B-1.

Pretty sure that somewhere on my desktop computer I have a concept illustration I did years ago, Vulcan with a fuselage extension and canards.

Scotaidh

I refer the Right Honourable Gentleman to my earlier reply.  :)

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Weaver

Nice one!  :thumbsup:

I was just considering Viggenizing/Canardifying an F-8 Crusader funnily enough. However I think I'd exploit the deep fuselage by having the main wing set low and the canard set high, just behind the cockpit.

A canard F-18E/F would be a good project: kinda like a scaled-up big-brother of the Gripen, in the same mould as the Mirage 2000/4000 combo.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

The Airfix Lightning I just finished (due for beauty pics today) has Viggen DNA.  But not in the way you are thinking.

Rat's Bombcorde pics above, host on PB (hwoick ptuii) were visible to me yesterday but today I just get the Greypeg of Extortion.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

McColm

Quote from: Weaver on December 28, 2017, 10:38:27 PM

Also, a quick jog around my hard drive produced this long-forgotten little number:

Is that based on a C-130?