F-104 Starfighter Ideas

Started by KJ_Lesnick, August 06, 2014, 05:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

Weaver

QuoteThat doesn't show up in the results. The F-105, despite "obviously" not being a dogfighter, actually did surprisingly well in Vietnam: more MiGs were shot down by F-105s than F-105s were shot down by MiGs.
Barely: 27.5-28.5 kills, 23 losses.  The F-8, in comparison managed 19 kills for 3 losses.

QuoteThat's more than the F-104 can claim.
If I recall, the F-104's were only used early in the war: From what it would seem, the F-104's were said to have a deterring effect on the Vietnamese.  For some reason the Commies were scared of them.

zenrat

QuoteIs this a quote or do you, like, talk like this man?
It's not a quote far as I know.  I have used the expression "weird wild stuff", "a wild scene", "pretty hairy" at times.  

As for what I'm talking about: I actually got out my WarbirdTech Series, Volume 38: Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, by Jim Upton.  If you have this book, I suggest you open up to page 23: It includes two diagrams depicting a typical landing pattern and a typical flame-out landing pattern.

The power-on landing looks pretty normal except maybe a little on the fast side -- typical race-track approach; the power-off looks like a spiral staircase taking you over the middle of the runway (maybe 1/3 down), then continuously turning all the way to final while holding 260 knots.  You start at around 12,500 to 15,000 feet, 260 knots, RAT out and flaps to takeoff, the low-key part of the approach has you around 6,000 to 8,000 feet.  Final is around 1,000 feet, flare begins at 300-500 feet, like with the space-shuttle you put the gear down at the last minute.

You cross the threshold at around 210-240, touchdown at 160 which is actually normal: Looks like it would actually be fun to do with FS9, FSX, X-Plane or DCS world (if such a model exists for it).

rickshaw

QuoteExcept F-104s didn't engage in any air-to-air combats over Vietnam so that is a little disingenous.
I though they did early on.  

QuoteMight be better to look at how well the F-104 went over the Formosa Straits or the Indian sub-continent.   Didn't do very well in either place IIRC.
Do you have any statistical data on this?

sandiego89

QuoteIIRC more than one properly flown f-104 surprised adversaries in exercises.
Yeah... as I said when it was flown right it was a holy-terror.  They could even out-turn F-5E's
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on August 10, 2014, 06:38:16 PM
The power-on landing looks pretty normal except maybe a little on the fast side -- typical race-track approach; the power-off looks like a spiral staircase taking you over the middle of the runway (maybe 1/3 down), then continuously turning all the way to final while holding 260 knots.  You start at around 12,500 to 15,000 feet, 260 knots, RAT out and flaps to takeoff, the low-key part of the approach has you around 6,000 to 8,000 feet.  Final is around 1,000 feet, flare begins at 300-500 feet, like with the space-shuttle you put the gear down at the last minute.

You cross the threshold at around 210-240, touchdown at 160 which is actually normal: Looks like it would actually be fun to do with FS9, FSX, X-Plane or DCS world (if such a model exists for it).

With wings that small it would be '... a little on the fast side...'!

There are a number of F-104 models available in FS9 but the aerodynamics modelling in FS9 isn't that sophisticated so making comparisons with real world flying won't be that accurate.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

rickshaw

QuoteExcept F-104s didn't engage in any air-to-air combats over Vietnam so that is a little disingenous.

Didn't go north of the DMZ. 

QuoteMight be better to look at how well the F-104 went over the Formosa Straits or the Indian sub-continent.   Didn't do very well in either place IIRC.
Do you have any statistical data on this?
[/quote]

Nope.  Never seen firm figures on the Formosa Straits engagements, neither side likes to admit how many they actually lost nor the circumstances.  The Indian/Pakistani MiG-21/F-104 encounters were fairly well documented though and neither side managed very much because of fuel limitations (ie they'd meet, do a few twists or turns, one would go bingo and run away).
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Thanks for the reply Hannah. "A wild scene" struck me as a rather dated phrase (like something Shaggy would say to Scooby).  Maybe you're older than I think.

G for Germany.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: rickshaw on August 10, 2014, 06:57:44 AM
Quote from: Weaver on August 10, 2014, 02:50:15 AM
Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on August 09, 2014, 04:18:05 PM
QuoteNon-Lockheed test-pilots who flew the Starfighter criticised it roundly, and combat experience, both mock and real, showed it to be a poor dogfighter.

It wasn't the best, but it was better than the F-105 (and F-4 as it had a gun)

That doesn't show up in the results. The F-105, despite "obviously" not being a dogfighter, actually did surprisingly well in Vietnam: more MiGs were shot down by F-105s than F-105s were shot down by MiGs. That's more than the F-104 can claim.

Except F-104s didn't engage in any air-to-air combats over Vietnam so that is a little disingenous.   Might be better to look at how well the F-104 went over the Formosa Straits or the Indian sub-continent.   Didn't do very well in either place IIRC.

My apologies: I had it in my head that one was shot down by a MiG-19 giving a kill:loss ratio of 0:1. However now I've looked it up, I realise that that engagement was with a Chinese F-6 when an F-104 inadvertently strayed over the border.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

tahsin

If I recall, the F-104's were only used early in the war: From what it would seem, the F-104's were said to have a deterring effect on the Vietnamese.  For some reason the Commies were scared of them.

Commies were not scared of the 104s, that's just company talk becoming "fact" over the years.

KJ_Lesnick

PR19_Kit

QuoteWith wings that small it would be '... a little on the fast side...'!
Landing speed's 155-160 (kts) at 16,100 pounds.

QuoteThere are a number of F-104 models available in FS9 but the aerodynamics modelling in FS9 isn't that sophisticated so making comparisons with real world flying won't be that accurate.
I suppose it depends on the quality of the data put into the model.

rickshaw

QuoteDidn't go north of the DMZ.
I didn't know that...

QuoteNope.  Never seen firm figures on the Formosa Straits engagements, neither side likes to admit how many they actually lost nor the circumstances.
I did some looking, admittedly I don't think Wikipedia counts but it would appear 2 MiG-19's got shot down, one F-104 either was shot down or went down for another reasons.

QuoteThe Indian/Pakistani MiG-21/F-104 encounters were fairly well documented
It would appear 1-2 kills were scored by F-104's, and 1 F-104 got shot down

zenrat

QuoteThanks for the reply Hannah. "A wild scene" struck me as a rather dated phrase (like something Shaggy would say to Scooby).  Maybe you're older than I think.
I was born in 1971...
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on August 31, 2014, 05:24:56 PM
PR19_Kit

QuoteWith wings that small it would be '... a little on the fast side...'!
Landing speed's 155-160 (kts) at 16,100 pounds.

QuoteThere are a number of F-104 models available in FS9 but the aerodynamics modelling in FS9 isn't that sophisticated so making comparisons with real world flying won't be that accurate.
I suppose it depends on the quality of the data put into the model.

That is 'a little on the fast side....'

It's not only the data input into the FS model that affects its real world fidelity. It also depends on the FS's internal modelling of  aerodynamic 'laws' that affects it, and M$'s assumptions and modelling has been shown to be woefully inadequate in some areas.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

KJ_Lesnick

There was an F-104C developed for record setting flights and it had a modified inlet cone to allow it to gain more speed so as to give it the ability to zoom higher for an altitude setting flight in 1959

The NF-104A had the same inlet modification

Here is a normal F-104 for comparison

Does anybody know what effects this would have on subsonic flight (Mach 0.0 to 0.9)?

PR19_Kit

What's different about the inlets? They look the same to me, once I'd figured out the second pic.....

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 21, 2014, 03:26:05 AM
What's different about the inlets? They look the same to me, once I'd figured out the second pic.....

I think the tip on the shock cone is slightly different Kit, not 1005 sure though as the picture is taken from a different angle than the one in the half link.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

Am I imagining things or have some posts been deleted from this thread?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

KJ_Lesnick

No you're not... PR19_Kit's missing a post

maxmwill

"Give me Operations"
Some words about how the Luftwaffe pilots felt about certain aircraft they flew and still fly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL5vX4_rGes   :lol:

You might recognize a few.

Jesse220

Why not do a naval F-104 version? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: