British hi-vis orange/red?

Started by Weaver, August 07, 2014, 04:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Does anyone have either the Airfix Lynx HAS.3 or the Sea King HAS,3 with the grey plus hi-vis red/orange scheme?

If so, could you tell me what Humbrol paint is recommended for the hi-vis re/orange please? I believe it's the same shade as is used for the British Antarctic Survey aircraft.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Dizzyfugu

Sould be #205 "International orange". But beware, the stuff is hard to apply - you need a goos white or yellow primer underneath, and even then it is IMHO hard to apply it evenly.
My tip: use hi-viz decals and cut the things out that you need. TL Modellbau from Germany offers sheets, stripes and even letters in that color, and the finish is really good.

Howard of Effingham

as an extra to dizzyfugu's points about dayglo orange decal, model art [famed for their coverage of french
subjects] also do a sheet of dayglo decals, worth getting.

sometimes with enamels, i will start with a base coat of say for yellow enamel, using yellow acrylic a couple of
times. let it dry well for several days on an inside window ledge and then have a go with the finishing shade of
yellow. this idea would probably work well for reds and oranges too. i also feel having dedicated paintbrushes for
these shades of paint helps too.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Knightflyer

Quote from: Weaver on August 07, 2014, 04:28:36 AM
Does anyone have either the Airfix Lynx HAS.3 or the Sea King HAS,3 with the grey plus hi-vis red/orange scheme?

If so, could you tell me what Humbrol paint is recommended for the hi-vis re/orange please? I believe it's the same shade as is used for the British Antarctic Survey aircraft.

I realise that it might just be a cop-out on Airfix's part, but the instructions for the 1/72nd scale model of this aircraft just specify 'ordinary' Humbrol 174 Signal Red Satin ?
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Weaver

Decals won't do I'm afraid: it's a whole plane job. This scheme basically:

I've found the recommendation for Hu.19 Gloss Bright Red and and I've seen it described as "Signal Red" so Hu.174 also makes sense. The colour looks really orangy in some photos but then very red in others (I suppose it might have changed over time).

I think Hu.205 International Orange is probably too light: the colour really doesn't look dayglo at all. Something I've noticed in the past is that the rattle-can dayglo orange I've got is very translucent and changes a great deal depending on the undercoat. it may be that applying it over red, grey or even black would get the right effect.

I shall have to do some tests - thanks for your help.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

TallEng

Looks like Xtracolour Red Arrows Red XO14 (might also be known as signal red) would be a close match, it's more an Orangy red as against
Post office/roundel/cherry red, which is just red  if you know what I mean

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

kitnut617

Weaver, the Model Art decal sheet (72/034) which has that Lynx scheme you mention, says its 'Signal Red' BS381c/537
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 07, 2014, 03:21:22 PM
Weaver, the Model Art decal sheet (72/034) which has that Lynx scheme you mention, says its 'Signal Red' BS381c/537

That does look about right. Confusingly though, most colour charts I can find insist that BS381c/537 is equivalent to Hu.19 "gloss bright red", NOT Hu.174 "satin signal red"............. :rolleyes:

- Indiana Jones

McColm

Have you tried mixing the paints say international orange and signal red?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Weaver on August 07, 2014, 12:41:33 PM
Decals won't do I'm afraid: it's a whole plane job. This scheme basically:

Ah, O.K. HU 205 will be much too bright. IMHO, HU 19 is too dark and not yellow-ish enough, and I think (without proof, though) that the Red Arrows tone would be too "red", to.
My bet would be Hu 174, though, which is a bright, rather orangic red, close to RAL 3000 (Feuerrot, available from Modelmaster).
There's also Humbrol 132, but that would bear too much yellow.

Weaver

Hopefully paint shopping today.

McColm: havn't tried anything yet: experiments to come.

Dizzy: Yes I noticed Hu.132 as well and I've discovered that I've even got a tin of it. I think it might be too orangy as well, but it bears investigating. "Arrow Red" has a slightly pinkish "lipstick" qualtiy to it.

- Indiana Jones

kitnut617

jcf

The Air Britain article series on the Falkland Registry has nice photos of the BAS and other
aircraft, and, in typical spotter fashion, endless details on the coming and goings of individual
aircraft and changes of ownership, registration etc. But, as so often with AB is frustrating in
terms of colour descriptions. Several aircraft are referred to as being painted in 'International
Orange' when first acquired, and later being refinished in BAS livery and how great they looked
in that livery but zero mention of the frigging colours.  :banghead:

The colour photos are somewhat useful as you can see a difference between the International
Orange, '50s - '60s aircraft and the later 'red' aircraft. With understanding of all the caveats
involved in photography, camera, film type, lighting conditions etc., of course.  :rolleyes:

BTW International Orange shouldn't look day-glo, different animals completely.  :cheers:

kitnut617

Weaver, doesn't that Twin Otter kit have a BAS scheme included in the colour options, one of the kits I have does (got a Matchbox, Revell and a Modelcraft boxing), just need to find them all   :banghead:

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 08, 2014, 08:18:34 AM
The Air Britain article series on the Falkland Registry has nice photos of the BAS and other
aircraft, and, in typical spotter fashion, endless details on the coming and goings of individual
aircraft and changes of ownership, registration etc. But, as so often with AB is frustrating in
terms of colour descriptions. Several aircraft are referred to as being painted in 'International
Orange' when first acquired, and later being refinished in BAS livery and how great they looked
in that livery but zero mention of the frigging colours.  :banghead:

There was also an article on the BAS operation some issues ago Jon, another was about a Twin Otter they used that had crashed and was recovered and repaired, Ken Borek aircraft I think.

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 08, 2014, 08:18:34 AM

BTW International Orange shouldn't look day-glo, different animals completely.  :cheers:

Yes, we used International Orange on all the tall incinerator stacks we used to build, wasn't day-glow at all.