Been wondering about this

Started by maxmwill, August 08, 2014, 04:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxmwill

In 1943, Boeing and Lockheed(Vega division) made a modification of the B17 by replacing the 1820s with Allison V1710s, calling it the XB38. While it was a bit faster, problems with the exhaust system and the increased need for the Allison engines for other aircraft, it never went beyond one prototype.

However, what if they stuck with the mod and decided to, instead of the Allisons, Merlins were used?

After all, there were bombers already flying with Merlins of various marks, and successfully at that, so information between the British manufacturers and Boeing/Lockheed could've rectified any squawks, such as the exhaust system.

I've been wondering about this ever since I ended up with two Halifax kits, one of the early marks, with the Merlin, and one with the Hercules.

I've seen models of the '38 before, but a Merlin powered Fort?

wagnersm

Makes sense to me.  The only question would be where to put the radiators, but I'm certain that could be worked out.

Steve

Captain Canada

Those XB-38s were simply gorgeous. So I'm sure a Merlin powered example would look rather nice ! Isn't there a BF-109 engine B-17 on here somewhere ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

maxmwill

The radiators would be in the exact same place as on the Lanc, the Halifax, and the Wellinton bombers; that is, chin mounted, unless, and this'd be extremely unlikely, someone wanted an annular radiator, and the only power to do that was the Germans.

A chin mounted radiator makes the most sense.

Captain Canada

Sure it does. A bolt on unit......the whole engine pod. Don't want to go messing around with the wing etc.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

maxmwill

No, changes to the wings'd be minimal.

And, because I'm kind of a cranky mechanic, I might just make the attempt, seeing as I have an extra Halifax kit.

Now all I have to do is scrounge a 1/72 B17G(because the XB38 was developed from a G model), although an F model might suffice.

Then I'd have to come up with the appropriate color scheme, US or British Commonwealth, and a probably location(I'm thinking Pacific).

Be kind of interesting.

Old Wombat

Packard Merlins, obviously.

I like this idea. Maybe a result of the R-1820's being more urgently required for something else?
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

...and a fifth engine would be nice also...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: maxmwill on August 08, 2014, 06:49:11 PM
The radiators would be in the exact same place as on the Lanc, the Halifax, and the Wellinton bombers; that is, chin mounted, unless, and this'd be extremely unlikely, someone wanted an annular radiator, and the only power to do that was the Germans.

A chin mounted radiator makes the most sense.

You could try a semi-annular radiator as used on the Merlin 85s on the Lincoln?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

maxmwill

I had forgotten about the Lincoln.

Is there a kit, or a resin conversion kit available?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: maxmwill on August 08, 2014, 06:49:11 PM

Well, Britain had this concept on the agenda - at least one heavy fighter (with a Sabre, IIRC) was planned with an annual radiator. So it's not too far-fetched.

TallEng

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

darthspud

Looks like the Lincoln conversion makes for a better buy?
Well, it gives you lots of whif fodder on top of the 85's
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

maxmwill

I knew that.

When the Lincoln was mentioned, having forgotten all about it previously, in google images, there was a bit on a resin conversion kits, here:

http://www.martinsammodels.com/Webpage/Pages/Models/Reviews/Reveiws/paragon/Lancaster/Lincoln%20Conversion/Lincoln.htm

maxmwill

Quote from: darthspud on August 09, 2014, 04:54:33 AM
Looks like the Lincoln conversion makes for a better buy?
Well, it gives you lots of whif fodder on top of the 85's

I realize that now, but, as I'm not  familiar with every type, which might not be as well known as most, although I do research some rather obscure other types, all I had been thinking of was around 1943, which was a year or so before the Lincoln first flew, and that had the concept that was behind the Allison conversion stayed reasonably prominent, with Boeing/Lockheed dropping the Allison in favor of current Merlins, what might have been the result?

I mean, if you want to consider something even more outrageous, instead of the later marks of Merlin, a Griffon conversion, in something a bit different than the Fort, say a B32?

I'm not even sure if there are any models of the Dominator available, or even the Shackleton, but the original inspiration for this was my realization that I have two different Halifax kits, and then started thinking about the XB38 and its problems, what could have resulted.

Isn't that part of the core of this forum?