Miles / Supermarine PR1

Started by andrewj, August 13, 2014, 03:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewj

Mid way through the war it was realised that a new Photo recconassaince aircraft was going to be needed by the RAF. The Merlin Spitfires were doing sterling service , but the introduction of the FW 190 had left them vunerable . The Air Ministry decided to put out a requirement for a new high speed PR aircraft capable of out-pacing any known or predicted German fighter.
Both the Miles Aircraft Company and Supermarine tendered for the specification, both companies having wide experience of high speed aircraft, it was quickly realised that combining these experiences would give better results and since Supermarine were at full stretch producing fighters, a joint design office was created for the PR aircraft.
So was born the Miles Supermarine PR1 , a highly unusual design for the time , drawing on work done previously by Miles and elements of the Spitfire. The aircraft was powered by the latest RR Griffon 65 engine , mounted at the rear and driving a five bladed Rotol pusher propellor, it had a tricycle undercarriage and carried two oblique , or two vertical and a single forward facing camera, [ or a combination of these ].
Pilots vision was unrivalled for it's time and the aircraft was capable of outrunning any enemy aircraft until the introduction of the Me 262, indeed no PR1 was lost to enemy fighters during service.
The model is 1/48 scale and represents one of the PR1's used by 541 Sqd RAF.

Andrew

Cobra

This is Too Cool,Superb,and Should get Nominated for a Whiffie :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Keep up the Superb Work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

The Big Gimper

You sir are one PR aircraft expert.

Well done.
Work In Progress ::

Lots of stuff

Mr.Creak

Holy Sexy Aircraft Batman!
That is NICE.
What if... I had a brain?

Hobbes

This is great! What did you use for the fuselage?

andrewj

Quote from: Hobbes on August 13, 2014, 04:59:21 AM
This is great! What did you use for the fuselage?

It's just a Spitfire 14 fuselage reversed with the nose from a Hawk grafted on.

Andrew

NARSES2

Wonderfull  :bow: :bow:

Now I can see a ground attack version rather like the Bolton Paul canard designs
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

comrade harps

Whatever.

perttime

That is cool!

I think the landing gear might be problematic. It seems that both the nosewheel and the tail wheel are on the ground, and that is not good for getting the aircraft off the ground, or for landing.
... and I'm not the only one who thought of a "backwards Griffon Spitfire" ...

Librarian

Just been back a day and then I saw this.  :blink: :blink: :blink:. Probably the finest whiff I have ever seen. Absolutely love to see a family of these...fighter, ground attack etc. Superb :thumbsup:.

pyro-manic

It is indeed glorious... :wub:

.....But it needs a NAME! A British aircraft shall not be known by a mere assemblage of letters and numbers (that those poor deluded Americans are so fond of), but by an appropriate moniker, one befitting it's role and inspiring awe and pride in friends, and fear in enemies. Such is the law!

(Seriously, this needs to have a name. It's far too pretty to be a just a "PR.1".... :thumbsup: :cheers: )
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

eatthis

custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

andrewj

Quote from: eatthis on August 13, 2014, 01:38:25 PM
how about hawk?

Would certainly fit with the Miles Co products , how about some more hawk themed suggestions ?.

Andrew

Librarian

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit