RAF E-3 circa 1977

Started by Devilfish, August 19, 2014, 08:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

If we had bought the E-3 AWACS back when it first appeared circa 1977, what colour scheme do you reckon it would have worn?
Choices are.
1) USAF grey with RAF markings
2) white and Light Aircraft Grey like Nimrods
3) as above but with blue cheatline, like VC-10
4) Dark Green/DSG upper, LAG lower.
5) Hemp with lo viz roundels

I would personally vere towards option 2 as it is a large aircraft that doesn't fly into the combat zone.
At such time the RAF had a budget so I very much doubt they would stick with a USAF scheme.
I'm not sure if Hemp was even around at the time.

Thoughts?

JayBee

I think that it should be option 4.
At least for the first one rolled out, just like the first VC-10 tanker, after that who cares what it would look like.  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

darthspud

Option 4 was a trial from circa 1984/5, I know I was on station at Brize Norton when the anamoly turned up.
The rest of 101 Sqn were Hemp (or what turned into Hemp) and again from memory, the Sqn formed in 1983/4.

The best guess would be as per the VC10 fleet - options 2&3 combined
but remember we had the V Force in Grey/Green wraparound from around 1977 or just before.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

McColm

Option 2,
The white roof to cool the interior down.

PR19_Kit

Option 3 would have looked good, but it wouldn't have lasted long as the Nimrod AEW3 fleet would have replaced them pretty quickly............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Devilfish

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 19, 2014, 12:51:38 PM
Option 3 would have looked good, but it wouldn't have lasted long as the Nimrod AEW3 fleet would have replaced them pretty quickly............  ;)

Not if we'd have bought AWACs to begin with.... :thumbsup:

Devilfish

Quote from: Martin H on August 19, 2014, 01:53:51 PM
something like this?

Apart from the windows, yes.   

I have the 1/72 Heller version and my initial idea was to make moulds of the CFM-56s and other UK spec bits (Yellowgate etc) and convert it, but tbh, even tho I worked on them for 4 years, I find the colour scheme really boring.....

Devilfish

Quote from: darthspud on August 19, 2014, 09:47:25 AM
but remember we had the V Force in Grey/Green wraparound from around 1977 or just before.

I just think tho, that as the E-3 wouldn't actually be in the combat zone, it wouldn't be classed as a strategic aircraft as such and therefore wouldn't be subject to camo.....

And tbh, even if it were camo, that huge rotating black and white Smartie would give it a way for miles!

Captain Canada

White and grey, just like Martin's....but like you said, sans windows.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

pyro-manic

With the blue lightning bolt stripe...
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kitnut617

Quote from: Devilfish on August 19, 2014, 11:18:12 PM
I have the 1/72 Heller version and my initial idea was to make moulds of the CFM-56s

Why make moulds, you can buy aftermarket CFM-56's, check out Flightpath's stuff
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Martin H

Quote from: Devilfish on August 19, 2014, 11:18:12 PM
Quote from: Martin H on August 19, 2014, 01:53:51 PM
something like this?

Apart from the windows, yes.  

I have the 1/72 Heller version and my initial idea was to make moulds of the CFM-56s and other UK spec bits (Yellowgate etc) and convert it, but tbh, even tho I worked on them for 4 years, I find the colour scheme really boring.....

Ah ha your talking new build Sentries. Mine was based on info in Chris Gibsons book The Airstaff and AEW.
The RAF was after the E-3 right from the start of the systems development. The Airstaff came up with a "cheap" option. Mount the E-3 system on soon to be withdrawn British airways Conway powered 707's Hence the windows and Conway's on mine. The 3 view drawing in the book also shows what looks like twin Aim 9 rails under one wing as well.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Devilfish

Ah, I see.  Wouldn't the windows have been plated over though, as very few would actually have been of use, bearing in mind the internal layout of equipment.