My first whiff - F-16W - FINISHED!!

Started by DogfighterZen, August 23, 2014, 09:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Love the lines on this one ! And thanks for the link to the profiles....those are some beauties. Love the Viking Plunder one !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Rick Lowe

I hadn't seen that one before, but yeah - the Green/Grey/Green scheme is pretty much exactly right.
Or check out KiwiZac's Jaguar:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,41289.msg705025/topicseen.html#new

Check here:
http://www.venturapublications.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82&products_id=290

For a range of RNZAF markings.

Cheers

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 12, 2015, 07:03:24 AM
Love the lines on this one ! And thanks for the link to the profiles....those are some beauties. Love the Viking Plunder one !

No problemo!  ;D

Quote from: Rick Lowe on October 12, 2015, 10:32:13 AM
I hadn't seen that one before, but yeah - the Green/Grey/Green scheme is pretty much exactly right.
Or check out KiwiZac's Jaguar:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,41289.msg705025/topicseen.html#new

Check here:
http://www.venturapublications.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=82&products_id=290

For a range of RNZAF markings.

Cheers

Wow... thanks, Rick!  :thumbsup: I've seen KiwiZac's Jag and i like it a lot! I can imagine the F-16W in those colors but i wouldn't paint the radome black. Probably a darker green or grey... Oh well, scheme choices are always hard for me... :banghead:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Tophe

Belated congratulations again! :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Tophe on October 13, 2015, 09:15:11 PM
Belated congratulations again! :wub:

And again i thank you!  :thumbsup:

I've been testing out possible configurations for the wingtip missiles and i'm almost sure that i'll deviate from the norm for the F-16. I like the look of the wings without the launchers sticking out, they're a bit bigger than normal F-16 wings and the wingtip launchers look better under the wing, or SU-27 style. I still have to try the old aim-9 16s210 launchers with 9Xs to see if that's not too bulky as aim-120s are looking right now... Maybe it's the launchers i've built that are too big, maybe if i use Lau-129s it looks better with the aim-120s... :rolleyes:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

DogfighterZen

So, after another long pause on this one, i've managed to glue some bits and dab some paint on the pilot and cockpit. I've recently added the JHMCS visor to the pilot's helmet so it can be up-to-date with all the current systems... ;D

Tomorrow, masking of the canopy to glue it in place, before a coat of primer on the whole beast... :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

Time for an update on the putty beast! After countless hours of PSR, i'm done with it! :rolleyes:
A few simple panel lines have been engraved on the wings and the last bit of putty was sanded smooth, so it's on to the paint shop, after 2 and a half years!
I've entered it in the "Clear your work bench 2015/16 GB at Beyond the Sprues forum, so it has to be finished by January 31st, and i will get it done!! :wacko:
This is how it looks at the moment...

I wanna do a simple, but modern scheme. I've been thinking of mixing some metallic colors to see what comes up... :wacko:

DogfighterZen

Ok, mixed up XF-56 with X-13 in a 70/30% ratio with enough thinner to make it flow well, started spraying and this is what i got... :blink:

Well, happens that i like that a lot!! :wub:
I will have to do a good masking job around the intake as i forgot to paint the inside of it white before this color...  :banghead:
After that, it's just pylons glued on, painting the radome and a few bits in a still-to-choose tone of gray and some different metallic colors on the nozzle, and it's time for markings... which are also still to be chosen. I've been really considering the idea of using PoAF markings, but i'm still waiting for a supposed release of a new sheet by a recently started, Portuguese decal brand called BlackCat Decals.
One of the schemes supposed to come out is the low visibility PoAF F-16 scheme used by aircraft #15112 back in 2007/08 when used by the 201st "Falcões" FS at Monte Real nº5 airbase, which has the lo-vis roundels i'd like to used on this model. http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3437/619/320/Newlook15112-JPS.jpg
There's also another question, except for the wings, where should i put the lateral roundels? The normal place obviously won't do on this design, maybe only on the wings?
The PoAF F-16s currently don't have the wing roundels as they used to, so maybe say they went back to just having one on top of the left wing and on the bottom of the right wing and exclude lateral roundels due to aircraft design limitation?  ;D

steelpillow

Beautiful colour. Definitely a dawn/dusk camo. But low-level over the sea or high-level under the glimmering sky?

How about roundels either side of the intake?
Cheers.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: steelpillow on December 28, 2015, 10:21:15 AM
Beautiful colour. Definitely a dawn/dusk camo. But low-level over the sea or high-level under the glimmering sky?

How about roundels either side of the intake?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
Well, i guess it would be more a low-level over the sea type, i was thinking about that because of the Japanese F-2 and it's camo. But i guess it could be both...  ;D
I haven't thought of the intakes, thanks!!  :thumbsup: I will have to check the roundel's size cause i don't want to totally cover the area with the roundel.

I'm gonna pick this one up again tonight, i've finished my 2 real world builds and now, back to Whif World!! :wacko:

DogfighterZen

Quote from: leptiprince on December 30, 2015, 02:22:04 AM
A link  http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~lonestar/SALE12.htm 

LP, you've shared that link before on one of your posts, but it's always a good reminder!  :thumbsup: Not a lot of people know of the excellent Lonestar resin parts.
After you shared the link for the first time, i emailed Yukio and bought one of each F-16XL conversions and 2 DSI sets. I'll probably buy a few more very soon as i intend on using one of the sets on one of my next builds.

Thanks for sharing anyway, and as i've said before, i love your work! :thumbsup: :bow:

leptiprince

Great

I also have plans to build many more other project. I multiply the same parts of the DSI

Captain Canada

That colour sure does look good. Excellent work ! Love that intake, thanks for the link !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Captain Canada on December 31, 2015, 04:34:09 AM
That colour sure does look good. Excellent work ! Love that intake, thanks for the link !

Glad you like it, Captain!  :thumbsup:

Leptiprince, that's excellent!! What brand of products do you use for making the molds and casting resin? I would like to do the same, i also wanted to duplicate other parts, i'm just not sure of what products to use.

On the F-16W, slow progress but getting there, i've been masking up the nozzle and small bits... very tedious work!!  :banghead: I want to get this done tonight so tomorrow i can get on with the painting, if i do, i might be able to finish it this weekend... if i don't get distracted by the real world, that is... :rolleyes: