My first whiff - F-16W - FINISHED!!

Started by DogfighterZen, August 23, 2014, 09:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

Quote from: steelpillow on January 19, 2016, 03:26:08 AM
One thought on the landing gear. Rather than a total refit involving new rear fuselage, why not just cant it backwards when extended and fit long-stroke oleo legs? It could then support your rearward shift in CG and deck landings, while still retracting into the original bays.

Well, i think that if they had to make that bulge on the main gear doors because of the larger wheels, it's because the space in the bays is really limited, so i don't think it would be too easy to fit bigger gear legs in the F-16's normal bays.
Also, my original idea would be to give it a higher ground clearance, besides the changing to tougher gear legs, if the legs were to give more height, wouldn't they have to be even longer? One of the reasons the Viper wasn't accepted by the navy is that they thought it would land on the tailpipe with unacceptable frequency, so if the tail was even longer than on a normal F-16, my guess is that it would need some extra height to be safe.
When i first read this article, the idea of having the modified landing gear and bays came together with the tested gear door mounted pylons for the AIM-7 Sparrow or in the F-16W's case, the 120.
Still, if one could fit the type of gear you suggest in the normal bays, it would make for cheaper and easier way to solve the problem.
Anyway, thanks for the idea, it sure is worth looking into when i build the next one. :thumbsup:
And i'll be looking out for that Harrier, by what you describe, it's gonna be quite a different jump jet! :thumbsup:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

I haven't seen it yet so I don't care if it's older than 120 days since someone posted!  Awesome! I see about three different birds in here and all those missiles.   :o :mellow:

This and the ones you just got done with.. man, you really struck a chorde with me. The colors and stuff are my speed 100% and the rest is choice, as well. Very good job for whif #1.
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 11, 2016, 04:37:52 PM
I haven't seen it yet so I don't care if it's older than 120 days since someone posted!  Awesome! I see about three different birds in here and all those missiles.   :o :mellow:

This and the ones you just got done with.. man, you really struck a chorde with me. The colors and stuff are my speed 100% and the rest is choice, as well. Very good job for whif #1.

Well, i'd say you're becoming affected... remember, i've been bitten by the Viper and i suffer from acute falconnitis syndrome so you should be careful, it can get nasty... :wacko:
I'm glad to know you like my builds so much mate. It's a very much appreciated reward to know that!  :bow:
It took so long to finish, around 2 years. The putty saga was a major delay factor, but i've learned my lesson.  :rolleyes:

The next variant will have some similarities to this one... :cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

comrade harps

Sorry for my late reply, but I lost track of this thread along the way.

So, what do I think?  :thumbsup:   :wub:

A wonderful, inspiring work of art!
Whatever.

DogfighterZen

Thank you very much, Comrade! :thumbsup: Can't thank you enough, i really appreciate the feedback everyone gave me on this, it's amazing to know i actually materialized an idea and that so many people like it! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Thank you all!!!

TheChronicOne

Quote from: DogfighterZen on November 11, 2016, 05:53:16 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 11, 2016, 04:37:52 PM

Well, i'd say you're becoming affected... remember, i've been bitten by the Viper and i suffer from acute falconnitis syndrome so you should be careful, it can get nasty... :wacko:
I'm glad to know you like my builds so much mate. It's a very much appreciated reward to know that!  :bow:
It took so long to finish, around 2 years. The putty saga was a major delay factor, but i've learned my lesson.  :rolleyes:

The next variant will have some similarities to this one... :cheers:
I'm more than happy! I'm impressed and your stuff is neat....   I've been bitten and now smitten!  One of my favorite builds back in the early to mid nineties when I was a youngster/teenager was an F-16. I still have it... one of my plans here at the WiM board is to create a  "kids builds" page or something for those of us who still have our stuff we built at kids or at least pictures.  ;)  So... at some point, we'll have a look at my sole F-16 build. (it's OK. not that impressive.. no decals... just STICKERS but I tried to make it cool..lol  ) 

I forgot to mention earlier, another bird I plan to build is one for our Oklahoma Air National guard which has a really cool Indian Chief guy on the fin.   Hobby Boss make a kit and also some after market decal folks make decals.  Mundane paint job overall, but, the fact that it's my state and that the art on the fin are really really cool.. I have to make one.

All kinds of loving all this Falcon builds and discussion.   :wub: :laugh:
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 11, 2016, 06:21:30 PM
I'm more than happy! I'm impressed and your stuff is neat....   I've been bitten and now smitten!  One of my favorite builds back in the early to mid nineties when I was a youngster/teenager was an F-16. I still have it... one of my plans here at the WiM board is to create a  "kids builds" page or something for those of us who still have our stuff we built at kids or at least pictures.  ;)  So... at some point, we'll have a look at my sole F-16 build. (it's OK. not that impressive.. no decals... just STICKERS but I tried to make it cool..lol  ) 

I forgot to mention earlier, another bird I plan to build is one for our Oklahoma Air National guard which has a really cool Indian Chief guy on the fin.   Hobby Boss make a kit and also some after market decal folks make decals.  Mundane paint job overall, but, the fact that it's my state and that the art on the fin are really really cool.. I have to make one.

All kinds of loving all this Falcon builds and discussion.   :wub: :laugh:

Same for me, back in the late 80s, one of the first models i've built was the Esci 1/72 F-16 Electric jet box, i've been a huge fan of the Viper since then, and even more since the PoAF got their Vipers in 94. I would like to buy that kit again, just for the trip down memory lane... :rolleyes:
I understand exactly why you want to build that jet, it simply looks cool with that tail art, and second, it's your hometown Viper, of course you should build one!! ;D :thumbsup:
It was the same for me with my real world PoAF F-16s. As there are no military airfields near from where i live, i've built the F-16AM that participated in the 2011 Tigermeet. It was one of the coolest decorations i'd seen on a PoAF Viper so far, so i had to build it.
Took a few outdoor pics this afternoon, but murky, thin clouds are covering the sun so not much improvement over the indoor pics, but i'll put them here anyway... ;)

The  real worl PoAF Viper

and the whifs

and finally, my precious... :wub:

Now, the box of the next Viper is already on the bench... :thumbsup:

TheChronicOne

Killer!!  The outside pics aren't bad.. They all look so cool lined up.   :lol:

Next box on the bench, ayyyy?   I think I might be doing the same myself, later, but starting a Vampire.  Vlad the Impaler's personal Vampire, at that.
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Quote from: TheChronicOne on November 12, 2016, 08:44:29 AM
but starting a Vampire.  Vlad the Impaler's personal Vampire, at that.

:o Now that is very interesting... :wacko: I'll be looking out for that topic! :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

Mastercraft offers this machine in 1:72 - but the model is the rather crappy Intech kit, and the decals sheet is rather minimal (even though the instruction suggest that there's a much more complete sheet available, with lots of stencils etc.). But for the markings/decoration, that kit might be a cheap option, too. ;)

TheChronicOne

Ooooh.... good deal. I'll be keeping my eye out. So far I've been looking for the Hobbyboss one, and the sheet of decals by themselves, and both are the same price and a little rich for my blood. It's good to have a third option to watch for.   :lol:

-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

-Sprues McDuck-

Tophe

Quote from: DogfighterZen on November 12, 2016, 08:36:42 AM
and finally, my precious... :wub:
Oh yes, so precious, I love her even more than diamonds... :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]