QANTAS Concorde

Started by zenrat, August 26, 2014, 02:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Saw this today.  It's flippin' huge.  I reckon about 1/24 scale.
The guy's got a room full of those promo planes you used to see in travel agent's windows so i'm guessing it's a big one of them.
Sorry about the crap pics but it was up on top of storage in his factory unit man cave.
She looks good with the roo on the tail.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

zenrat

Could well be.  It was about the right size.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Westway used to do travel shop models in all sorts of scales. I had one of their 1/72 scale Concorde 'kits' for a while, but it was an early short tailed version and I never built it completely. I wrote 'kit' because there were only FIVE parts! The nose, the tail, two engines and everything as one piece!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Kitnut's link says they are made from fibreglass (the 1/72 ones).  I wonder if they actually mean that and there is mat in them?
Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on August 26, 2014, 04:35:13 AM
Kitnut's link says they are made from fibreglass (the 1/72 ones).  I wonder if they actually mean that and there is mat in them?

My Concorde was injection moulded styrene, and THICK too, but fibreglass mouldings of that size are surely practical as A Model's larger kits have fibreglass fuselages, the An-124 and the Brabazon for instance.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

The owner of Aircraft in Miniature used to be associated with Westway, he told me some time ago he once took a 1/25 scale Concorde back home with him tied to the top of his car --- caused quite a commotion ----  He also told me that he had an injection Britannia and VC10 in 1/72, both done by Westway and it was one of the reasons he's never done a vacuform of them.

I've got an AModel 1/72 An-22 which is mostly fiberglass, fuselage and wing, each made as a complete unit.  Although they are a multi-media kit, there being quite a few injection plastic sprues, some vacuform parts and PE and white metal.

zenrat

Jaymar used to make 1/25 car bodies from fibreglass resin but I don't think there was any mat in them.  I was wondering if when they say "fibreglass moulding" they mean it's just resin poured into a mould or there are glass fibres in there too.

Fred

kitnut617

A-Model do have fiberglass mat in the parts, wouldn't be called fiberglass if it didn't.

But I can see the mat in the An-22 I have

kitnut617

Yes, I haven't done anything to this kit yet, so as you see it, that's how it arrives in the box.

You can now see why these A-Model kits are so expensive, every fuselage and wing is 'hand-laid' by someone.  Which would mean each kit is unique in some way, not being exactly the same.  Which is the same for Westways, the models are all 'hand-laid' --

PR19_Kit

Jeepers, but that's a BIG aeroplane!  :o

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

If you've seen the Revell 1/72 A400M model Kit, this is way bigger than that.  The fuselage measures 84mm in diameter (the A400M is 78mm) but the An-22 is nearly 250mm longer, that's just measuring the fuselage though, doesn't include the tail.  Bigger than the A310 I'm building right now too

zenrat

Thanks Kitnut.  I hope you have a suitable large shelf to display it on.
Fred

rickshaw

At that size, he could build shelves inside it!  ;D ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on August 26, 2014, 02:49:43 AM
She looks good with the roo on the tail.

She does indeed.  Something to said for the old style livery as well.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.