Grumman E-1B Tracer AEW concepts

Started by McColm, August 26, 2014, 02:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi Guys,
I don't know if any Whiffers have built any examples of a 1/72 Grumman E-1B Tracer. There are two kits you can use the Mach2 ref:7229 priced at £28.99 at Hannants or the resin based conversion RVHP ref:7243 to be used with the Hasegawa/Hobbycraft Grumman S-2A Tracker.
I'm not sure if this conversion kit is still being produced or there is another company that makes their own resin kit.

I haven't been impressed with the Mach2 kits that I have bought in the past but ready some reviews the Hazeltine AN/APS-82 radome could be used with the Hasegawa S-2A Tracker and other parts from the Mach2 E-1B. There is a question mark regarding the correct length as the Tracer was 18 inches longer than the C-1 Trader and the wings folded a long the side of the fuselage.

If the radome can be saved then this could be fitted to a number of alternative aircraft from the same era.
I was thinking of the Hasegawa Lockheed Neptune or even the C-130. Academy C-97 or Heller DC-6 and Constellation. Might even fit on an Avro Shackleton or Shorts Sunderland. Fairchild Boxcar.
These would make a great alternative to the Hasegawa E-2 Hawkeye that replaced the Tracer.

I did think of replacing the Tracker engines with Griffons from the Shackleton kit rather than the turboprop upgrade.
An interesting build, if I can get the parts I need.

PR19_Kit

There's a Falcon vacform conversion for the Tracer in their Triple range. I had one but I think I sold it to someone on here as while back.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Thanks Kit.
Falcon Triple FNC004: Grumman E-1 Tracer, F9F-8P reconnaissance Cougar and the Lockheed AP-2H "Spooky "Neptune.
Hannants £16.99

Bungle

The Falcon conversion is quite good ....

..... better than my kit making    <_<
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

McColm

Never worked with vacform before, looks good.

McColm

With Brazil refurbishing ex-US Navy C-1A Traders into KC-2 Turbo Traders and Trackers being updated to Turbo Trackers, perhaps the Tracer could get a Turboprop engines and the Rotodome from the E-2C as well.

Captain Canada

Nice Tracer Bungle ! I'm a big fan of that family of aeroplanes. I like the way the anti glare panel makes the nose look sharper on your build.

Perhaps I should look into these conversions....

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

As discussed before a definite float plane version.
The KC-2s are COD/AAR for onboard Marinha's aircraft carrier, the NAe Sao Paulo. Using Marsh Aviation for the upgrades.

Captain Canada

Cool. Glad they are rebuilding them and keeping them flying.

I have a CDN version I built years back, never really finished it tho, of a COD type. I had the rear fuselage swing open to accommodate loads. It was also equipped for AAR.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Depends on the width of the fuselage, a kitbash using the Airfix Rotodyne and Tracker kits.
Use the fuselage and rear doors of the Rotodyne minus the stack and add the wings/engines landing gear. Fill in hole made by the removal of the stack. Could use either tail section, COD/AAR, MPA and AEW versions or cargo or airliner.

Rhodri

I live near the Quonset Point Naval Air Museum.  The museum has a unique C-1 COD - it was the test-bed for testing the fit of the Tracer's radome.  The single tail was chopped and bifurcated and an empty radome mounted.  Once all the adjusting was done, the radome was removed and the aircraft reverted back to its COD duties.  They left the tail as a twin - there wasn't any real reason to spend the money to change it back.

Sorry for the thread hijack - back to your discussion.   ;D

PR19_Kit

That'd make a good 'NOT a Whiff' in its own right.  ;)

A Trader with the Tracer's radome would instantly be named as a Whiff by the JMNs, but it would be real!  :thumbsup: ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

That does sound interesting ! I saw some Tracker pics whilst doing some research and found a bulged bomb bay which I had never seen before.

:cheers:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

I wish I had seen this earlier as the Spoof doesn't line up on the upper fuselage of a Shackleton Mk3. Had two use two lollipop sticks instead to form a stand. With a bit of fine plastic tubing a better stand could be made.
Mine looks more like an early E-7 Wedgetail. :banghead:

McColm

What about replacing the engines with turbofans. There's a line drawing of a aircraft that looks very similar in size and shape to the Grumman E-1 Tracer on page 23 of "The Admiralty and AEW" by Chris Gibson on the Project Tech Profile series. Another difference is the rotating cigar-shaped antenna . It also has an in-flight refueling probe. (BAC E-1).