Let's be Candid about this (Ilyushin Il-76 "Candid")

Started by upnorth, August 29, 2014, 01:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnorth

Hello all;

Having a weekday free, I headed out to Brno's Turany airport for some morning spotting. I had hoped to catch the morning TNT BAe 146 coming in, but it was early and already parked when I got there. However, this Turkmenistan Il-76TD was more than ample compensation:

A bit closer up on the tail and registration:

It was a surprise to see it as the Il-76 flights are usually scheduled for Thursdays, not Fridays.

Any and all comments welcomed.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

PR19_Kit

Even without a tail turret and in a fetching  green scheme the Il-76 still looks purely 'Military' to me.

Cracking photos though, I'd be tempted to build of those in 'Airliner scale' if I had one, but I don't.  :thumbsup:

And did they nick the engines from DC8-60 series? They look EXACTLY the same!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

I always thought the '76 would be the perfect evil-genius/superhero/VIP plane.  Drive your black armor plated limo or Lambo up the ramp, then sit in your evil dictator chair in the glazed nose watching the minnions pass below your feet....
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

scooter

Quote from: sandiego89 on August 29, 2014, 05:40:20 AM
I always thought the '76 would be the perfect evil-genius/superhero/VIP plane.  Drive your black armor plated limo or Lambo up the ramp, then sit in your evil dictator chair in the glazed nose watching the minnions pass below your feet....

Drat...now you've gone and ruined my plans.  ::breaks out the little black notebook, and scribbles:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Go4fun

That aircraft has a deffinate grin, an eebiiiiiiiiilgrin.  :blink:
"Just which planet are you from again"?

jcf

Quote from: sandiego89 on August 29, 2014, 05:40:20 AM

;D

McColm

I'll just have to build my version with turboprop engines instead!

lancer

Brilliant pictures. I always though the 'Candid' was an impressive looking machine.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

McColm

Sanger do a 1/72 vacformed Candid, Midas-Tanker and Mainstay AEW with metal parts.

kitnut617

Chris (chrisonord on the forum here) has one for sale, or did have a month or so ago
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

bobbo

Every once in a while, we get them at Dover AFB, usually in military schemes.  The last one was from Pakistan (Leased from Ukraine?  One of the former Soviet Republics?) and I got a few photos if it. 

We also get an occasional An-124 Ruslan (Usually Ukrainian, but occasionally an Aeroflot one as well) here, too.

bobbo 

kerick

Great pictures of a great looking AC. You could add these to airliners.net.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

Beauty. Great pics too. But you went to an airport and only saw one plane ?

:blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

upnorth

Quote from: Captain Canada on August 30, 2014, 04:51:10 PM
Beauty. Great pics too. But you went to an airport and only saw one plane ?

:blink:

Despite it's status as an international airport, Turany can be quite a quiet place.

I saw a couple of light aircraft circuit bashing but none of my pics of them are worth posting.

There was also a biz jet of some sort across the field running its engines, but it never went anywhere.

It's a real crap shoot going there. There is a really good spotting point that's right next to a flying school and one of the local flying clubs and sometimes they'll have some of their planes sitting outside. Sometimes.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Captain Canada

Ah....I see ! But if you're only going to see one plane of interest that's a pretty good way to go about it ! The thing looks absolutely mint....love the colours too.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?