Wee Canadair Argus

Started by Captain Canada, August 29, 2014, 08:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

Hi guys !

Happy to report that after an epic road trip across this giant post card of a country ( 7000 kms driving and 2 ferries later  :thumbsup: ) I'm up in Labrador 'working'.

To kill time I've brought a small stick of balsa, plus an old hacked up sheet of styrene, a knife and some sandpaper.

Plan A : A 350th scale Canadair Argus. Plan B ? Whatever scale this is ! I tried to scale it myself but I'm hopeless at math. So I traced what was on the computer screen onto paper and this is where I'm at now.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Good luck with work and your builds.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

JayBee

I really look forward to seeing this finished Captain.
Is it going to be a Mk1 or a Mk2?
I ask this as I saw both when I was at CFB Shearwater in 1967, and I like them.  :wub:

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Gondor

If I can find my pictures from an air show at RAF St Mawgan in the 80's I will scan and send them to you as I took a couple of the Argus that was visiting at the time

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Captain Canada

Thanks......that would be neat to see !

Not sure what mark. Probably none  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Coming along nicely I must say ! Basic fuselage shape is done.

Overall configuration. I traced the screenshot onto paper, and then cut the paper out, and retrace that onto the styrene. I wasn't happy with my first wing, so bought a cheap ruler to keep things straight. I have also notched out a groove for the vertical tail to sit in.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JayBee

Ahoy Capn,

Looking very good, you should think about droping it into a vat of silicon moulding compound when it is done.
Anyway here are the only two slides that I can find from my visit to Shearwater in 1967.

Jim

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Captain Canada

Gorgeous shots Jim ! Love this aeroplane...what a beast !

I would like to cast it, but this is just a test shot kinda deal. I have to figure out the specs in 350th scale. My calculations have it 11.2 cm long and 12.28 cm wingspan, but that seems kinds big to me !? Anyone ? Bueller ?

:tornado:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

By them nacelles are alot of work !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Why 1/350 scale Cap'n? Or was it dependant on the size of the raw materials to hand?

In any case it already looks pretty much like an Argus.  :thumbsup: And I'd echo JayBee's opinions about the Argus, what a wonderful looking aircraft, I'm sure they'd be able to frighten submarines away without dropping anything 'orrible on them.  ;D

Sad to say I never saw one, and probably never will now.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Coming along nicely! Oh, don't forget that there's a windshield wiper on the nose glazing.  :wacko:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Thanks guys !

I picked 350 scale as that's my favourite wee ship and a/c scale. And if I could do one up right it would look pretty cool in a dio over an O-boat, or on the tarmac with a Tracker.

I was lucky enough to see one fly, only once, and it just flew overhead on approach to Trenton. I was at my Granparents place just outside the base, when the whole house began to rumble and shake ! I ran outside to see the mighty Argus trundle overhead. Wow.

Other than that, I've seen the one at the RCAF Museum in Trenton ( probably the same one I saw fly, as the others went straight to Mountainview I think ) as well as the one at Summerside, PEI/ The Atlantic Canada Aviation Museum has a lovely flight trainer, which was awesome to climb around in !

And I'll see what I can do about that nose wiper Rat !

:cheers:

PS-Still looking for proper 350 scale dimensions if anybody can sort that out it would be greatly appreciated !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

I am impressed sir. The way our grandfathers modelled  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

JayBee

Quote from: Captain Canada on September 01, 2014, 05:41:22 AM

PS-Still looking for proper 350 scale dimensions if anybody can sort that out it would be greatly appreciated !

According to my trusty "Observers World Aircraft Directory" of 1961, the dimensions are :

Span 142 Ft 3.5 Ins.
Length 128 Ft 3 Ins
Height 36 Ft 8.5 Ins. I assume that is standing on it's u/c.

That gives in 1/350 scale
Span 4.88 Ins or 12.39 cm.
Length 4.4 Ins or 11.18 cm.
Height 1.23 Ins. or 3.12 cm.

So your calculations are pretty damn close.

Cats are not real.