Main Menu

Dartstang

Started by zenrat, September 03, 2014, 03:34:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

The Dartstang isn't a What If.  One example was built by an Australian businessman but never flew under it's own power and was later converted back into a standard Mustang.
Some info here http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/kits/redroo72139reviewmd_1.htm
It basically consists of a Rolls Royce Dart Turboprop from a Vickers Viscount fitted to an Australian built Mustang.

So, in Whiffworld it's 1972 and the first Gulf War is underway.  Iraqi forces are pushing into Saudi Arabia.  PDRV Dartstangs are assigned the jabo role and use Rockeyes against their support convoys.
Dartstang 009 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Dartstang 004 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Dartstang 006 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Dartstang 002 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Dartstang 001 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
The kit is by Red Roo models.  It contains an unboxed Academy P51 plus resin conversion parts.
Dartstang 011 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Mine came with a badly warped propeller which broke when I tried to straighten it.  I replaced the mangled blades with some from a resin Lincoln conversion set which I then trimmed.
Paint is based on US chocolate chip pattern.  There are 2 sand shades and 2 brown shades but they are a bit close and hard to see in photographs.
Decals are home made.
Rockeyes are from a Hasegawa weapons set.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TallEng

Now that is nice :wub:
And i love the Camouflage  :thumbsup:
Reminds me of Ice cream  :blink:

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

kitnut617

Very nice zenrat, it would go very well with my CH-151 I did a while ago

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21115.0/highlight,ch-151.html

I've got the Heritage Aviation Dart Mustang conversion in the stash, been meaning to build it ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Dizzyfugu

Very cool!  :thumbsup:

Is the paint scheme painted by hand, airbrushed or even a decal?

Got that resin kit in the stash, too, not decided what to make of it yet. But yours looks glorious!

Captain Canada

Although I'm not a big fan of the camo, you did a really nice job of it ! And the more I look, the more I like  :thumbsup: I like the way the markings stand out on her. Also like the bomb load....I sure wouldn't want to be under it !

It's also got that funny look to it...like it looks good ( mean ? ) but it just doesn't look Mustang anymore ? I wonder what it would have sounded like ? Pretty awesome I'm guessing ! Again, unless you were standing underneath it when it was angry ! lol

Great job all around.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

zenrat

Thanks folks.
Dizzy - I airbrushed the base coat of sand and then hand painted the rest.  I tried pre-shading but by the time I had enough sand on to get an even coat any semblance of shadow had gone.
Kitnut - love your chopper!  Your camo is better than mine as your browns are different enough to show.
Capt - I do have some low viz PDRV decals printed up but I decided the timeframe was too early to use them.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Dizzyfugu

Thank you for the info!  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Yet another lovely looking aircraft
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dwomby

Captain Canada

It would be cool to see one in USAF Korean War markings.....probably turn a few heads ?!

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

perttime

Quote from: zenrat on September 03, 2014, 03:34:16 AM
The Dartstang isn't a What If. 
Sure it is a What If: the colors are different from the original and you have the Rockeyes on it too  :wacko:

sandiego89

Nice Rat.  Well done.  :thumbsup:

I'd vote Central American markings if you did another. 

Everything looks good with Darts. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Quote from: perttime on September 04, 2014, 08:31:05 AM
Quote from: zenrat on September 03, 2014, 03:34:16 AM
The Dartstang isn't a What If. 
Sure it is a What If: the colors are different from the original and you have the Rockeyes on it too  :wacko:

I meant that the concept of a Dartstang isn't a what if.

Fred

Tophe

What an unusual Mustang... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]