The new Royal Navy carriers, what's on the flight deck?

Started by McColm, September 05, 2014, 06:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: lenny100 on September 06, 2014, 08:19:51 AM
so that all 4 of them in flying condition, but thats 4 more fix wing aircraft than the navy got operational

Two of the Swordfish ARE the current Fleet Air Arm's 'Strike Wing', and their 'Fighter Defence Wing' is one Sea Hawk and one Sea Fury, the 2 seater Sea Fury being the 'Training Wing'.......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 06, 2014, 08:27:16 AM
Quote from: lenny100 on September 06, 2014, 08:19:51 AM
so that all 4 of them in flying condition, but thats 4 more fix wing aircraft than the navy got operational

Two of the Swordfish ARE the current Fleet Air Arm's 'Strike Wing', and their 'Fighter Defence Wing' is one Sea Hawk and one Sea Fury, the 2 seater Sea Fury being the 'Training Wing'.......

Well, Swordfish are probably rather stealthy anyway.  ;D
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Gondor

Quote from: scooter on September 06, 2014, 08:39:25 AM

Unfortunately the spinning prop and the engine would make for rather a large target to modern radars even though the rest of the aircraft is mainly wood and fabric.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on September 06, 2014, 11:09:43 AM

Unfortunately the spinning prop and the engine would make for rather a large target to modern radars even though the rest of the aircraft is mainly wood and fabric.

Gondor

But the Doppler Lock on most modern day radars would cancel out a Swordfish as it wouldn't show as a 'moving object'.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

McColm

Saab Gripen, Sential, Maritime Jaguar, Sea Stallion.

eatthis

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 06, 2014, 11:15:18 AM

Gondor

But the Doppler Lock on most modern day radars would cancel out a Swordfish as it wouldn't show as a 'moving object'.  ;D

:lol:
custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 06, 2014, 08:10:49 AM
Quote from: Mossie on September 06, 2014, 07:34:10 AM
Quote from: scooter on September 06, 2014, 04:23:45 AM
Swordfish

I'd love to see this really happen, all the preserved Swordfishes touchdown and take off from Bess or Charlie for some kind of anniversary.  Apologies for getting all serious!

I thought the second one is the Phillip ?

HMS Duke of Edinburgh was to be the second ship after CVA-01 Queen Elizabeth. HMS Prince of Wales is due to be the second CVF.  I suspect Philip has put his foot in it too many times to have such a high profile ship named after him now!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on September 06, 2014, 12:36:41 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on September 06, 2014, 08:10:49 AM
Quote from: Mossie on September 06, 2014, 07:34:10 AM
Quote from: scooter on September 06, 2014, 04:23:45 AM
Swordfish

I'd love to see this really happen, all the preserved Swordfishes touchdown and take off from Bess or Charlie for some kind of anniversary.  Apologies for getting all serious!

I thought the second one is the Phillip ?

HMS Duke of Edinburgh was to be the second ship after CVA-01 Queen Elizabeth. HMS Prince of Wales is due to be the second CVF.  I suspect Philip has put his foot in it too many times to have such a high profile ship named after him now!

Right! got a bit mixed up thinking the 'P' designation for the second ship was for Phillip but it's for Prince isn't it
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Martin H

Quote from: Mossie on September 06, 2014, 12:36:41 PM
I suspect Philip has put his foot in it too many times to have such a high profile ship named after him now!

More likely they are waiting for him to pop his clogs first...................as is usually the norm when naming ships after someone.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Gondor

Gondor

Good point Kit, I had forgotten that the Swordfish would be almost a stationary target.  :banghead:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on September 06, 2014, 02:24:02 PM

Gondor

But the Doppler Lock on most modern day radars would cancel out a Swordfish as it wouldn't show as a 'moving object'.  ;D

Good point Kit, I had forgotten that the Swordfish would be almost a stationary target.  :banghead:

Gondor

At an air show I attended in the 70s or 80s, I think it was at Finningley, when the FAA Historic Flight had just re-furbished their original Swordfish, coded 5A at the time, they took off and did the usual circuit. While on the downwind leg the wind started to rise and by the time they'd fought their onto the approach it almost exceeded the Vne of the aircraft!

Deciding that landing was a good idea the pilot bought her in over the threshold and just stopped! A bunch of matelots drove out underneath 5A and stood waiting while he throttled back and the aircraft did a perfect vertical landing whereupon the matelots just grabbed it!  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

jcf

Gondor

Mmm, no, the airframe of the Swordfish is a fabric covered all-metal structure. The wings are
a combination of built-up steel-strip spars, steel drag-tubes and dural ribs, the fuselage is
steel tube. Very much a standard structure for the period, wood being superseded, for the most
part, in the 1920s.

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 06, 2014, 02:34:34 PM

Gondor

Mmm, no, the airframe of the Swordfish is a fabric covered all-metal structure. The wings are
a combination of built-up steel-strip spars, steel drag-tubes and dural ribs, the fuselage is
steel tube. Very much a standard structure for the period, wood being superseded, for the most
part, in the 1920s.

The Swordfish skeleton I saw one time at the Calgary Aerospace Museum (strapped down to a low-loader) was just a lattice work of steel tubes, with some sheet metal around the forward fuselage between the cockpit and engine, didn't see any wood framing anywhere --
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

scooter

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 06, 2014, 02:34:34 PM

Gondor

part, in the 1920s.

Probably still less metal that most modern and/or stealthy airframes...like how this Gladiator is
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng