1:72 Dewoitine D.401 (J5) of F-4 Swedish Air Force; Frösön, Ostersund; 1937

Started by Dizzyfugu, September 13, 2014, 03:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

1:72 Dewoitine D.401 (J5), aircraft "4/9" of Swedish Air Force, Jämtlands Flygkar F-4; Frösön, Ostersund; 1937 (Smer kit conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Dewoitine D.401 (J5), aircraft "4/9" of Swedish Air Force, Jämtlands Flygkar F-4; Frösön, Ostersund; 1937 (Smer kit conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Some Background:
The Swedish Air Force was created on July 1, 1926 when the aircraft units of the Army and Navy were merged. Because of the escalating international tension during the 1930s the Air Force was reorganized and expanded from four to seven squadrons.

One of the various types introduced at that time was the French Dewoitine D.401. It was an all-metal, open-cockpit, fixed-undercarriage sesquiplane fighter aircraft, developed as a more conservative export alternative to the very modern D.500 monoplane that was under development for the French Air Force in the 1930s.

The D.401 was designed by Émile Dewoitine and used many elements of the D.500, which was based on C1 specifications issued in 1930 by the French Air Ministry, and was to be a replacement for the Nieuport 62.

The D.401 prototype first flew on 2nd of February 1932, soon to be followed by the D.500 which was faster, but the D.401 had a better rate of climb. Both aircraft were, as a novelty, armed with a 20 mm cannon firing through the propeller hub, plus a pair of 7.5mm machine guns mounted in fairings under the wings, outside of the propeller disc.

Sweden was one of the few countries (including Latvia, Denmark and Norway) to order the D.401. In 1934 twenty of these aircraft were delivered to the Swedish Air Force, they received the local designation "J5" and served alongside a mix of Bristol Bulldogs (J7), Gloster Gladiators (J8) or Hawker Harts (B4).

In service, the D.401 revealed some flaws. The liquid-cooled engine was troublesome during winter, as well as the open cockpit. Furthermore, the novel all-metal construction (esp. for a sesquiplane) created a weight penalty, compared to types of mixed construction.
On the positive side, though, the 20mm cannon proved to be highly effective against air and ground targets, so that the Swedish J5 were primarily relegated to the ground attack role, where its speed penalty was not as severe as in direct aerial combat.

Anyway, the monoplane was the aircraft concept with more potential, and even the D.500 and its derivatives were soon replaced by a new generation of fighter aircraft with enclosed cockpits and retractable undercarriage, like the Dewoitine D.520.

When World War II broke out in 1939 further expansion was initiated and this substantial expansion was not finished until the end of the war. Although Sweden never entered the war, a large air force was considered necessary to ward off the threat of invasion and to resist pressure through military threats from the great powers, so that the D.401 was kept in active service until 1943, and even thereafter some aircraft were kept as trainers until 1948.

General characteristics:
    Crew: one
    Length: 7.94 m (26 ft 1 in)
    Wingspan: 10.18 m (33 ft 4 in)
    Height: 2.42 m (7 ft 11 in)
    Wing area: 18.50 m² (198.5 ft²)
    Empty weight: 1.566 kg (3.449 lb)
    Loaded weight: 2.179 kg (4.799 lb)

Powerplant:
    1× Hispano-Suiza 12Ycrs V12 engine, 640 kW (860 hp)

Performance:
    Maximum speed: 370 km/h (201 kn, 230 mph) at 5,000 m (16,405 ft)
    Range: 700 km (380 nmi, 435 mi)
    Service ceiling: 11.500 m (37.770 ft)
    Rate of climb: 15.35 m/s (3.016 ft/min)
    Wing loading: 117 kg/m² (23.9 lb/ft²)
    Power/mass: 330 W/kg (0.20 hp/lb)
    Time to altitude: 1.32 min to 1000 m (3,280 ft)

Armament:
    1× 20 mm Hispano-Suiza HS.9 cannon, 60 rounds, mounted between the cylinder banks, plus
    2× 7.5 mm (.295 in) MAC 1934 machine guns, 300 rpg, under the upper wings

The kit and its assembly:
One way to create a whif is to "downgrade" the original, e. g. making it less unusual or dating it technically back. The D.401 is such a case - actually a rather simple concept, because I created a sesquiplane from a more modern monoplane, the D.510.

The kit basis is the vintage Smer offering, with all that can be expected: raised panel lines (very fine, though), tons of flash and mediocre fit. Almost all original parts were used, except...
- the lower wings were donated from a vintage glide plane kit, with shortened span
- the skis are optional parts from an ICM I-15bis
- a Matchbox pilot populates the open cockpit

The struts were scratched with styrene profiles, the wiring was made from heated and stretched styrene sprue - my preferred method since the styrene can easily be fixed into place with conventional plastic glue.

1:72 Dewoitine D.401 (J5), aircraft "4/9" of Swedish Air Force, Jämtlands Flygkar F-4; Frösön, Ostersund; 1937 (Smer kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Dewoitine D.401 (J5), aircraft "4/9" of Swedish Air Force, Jämtlands Flygkar F-4; Frösön, Ostersund; 1937 (Smer kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Painting and markings:
This crazy splinter paint scheme is real and was lent from a Finnish Fokker biplane - very unique, and worth using. But I did not want to build another Finnish aircraft, one reason being that I would not add swastikas to any kit of mine, even Finnish ones.

So I translocated it to neighboring Sweden in the pre WWII era and I just added three Crowns to the white roundels, taken from a Matchbox Gloster Gladiator. I omitted the yellow/blue rudder flash, though, since camouflaged Swedish aircraft of that era seem to have lost this marking? The tactical numbers were taken from a TL Modellbau sheet.

Basic colors are Humbrol 128 (Ghost Grey), 86 (Light Olive Green), 77 (Navy Blue) and a mix of 33 and 184, for a very dark grey (the original tone is supposed to be black). 128 was also used on the lower surfaces.

Painting was done by hand and brush, and after the white roundels had been added the kit was just slightly dry-brushed for some light weathering effect. A wash with thinned black ink was carefully applied, too, just in order to emphasize some of the raised details. Light exhaust soot was created with grinded graphite, and finally everything was sealed under a coat of acrylic matt varnish.

Effectively, a rather simple whif. The sesquiplane conversion was easier than expected, and the exotic paint scheme distracts from the surgery job well... ;)

Rheged

A superb example of whiffery in both plastic and words. Were I wearing my hat, I would most respectfully take it off to you!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot - and, yes, winter landscapes add a certain romantic touch ...  ;)

NARSES2

She suits those colours and the photography and backgrounds are just outstanding  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Logan Hartke

I've never cared for the Dewoitine D.500 series, because I didn't find it that attractive, but you've clearly shown it was the wing layout that was spoiling it because this looks fantastic!

Well done!

Cheers,

Logan

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Logan Hartke on September 13, 2014, 08:00:46 AM
I've never cared for the Dewoitine D.500 series, because I didn't find it that attractive, but you've clearly shown it was the wing layout that was spoiling it because this looks fantastic!

Well done!

Cheers,

Logan

Me too, many pre-WWII designs are not really "sexy", at least to me. But I remembered the fun my "Brezza" had been to build, and in the respective time frame some very wacky things took into the air, so the ground for whifs is wide and fertile. Actually, my D.401 has just been an excuse to apply the cool paint scheme - but building it was fun and it turned out very well.  ;D

comrade harps

Certainly an improvement over the monoplane original:  :thumbsup:

And the camo - that's got me thinking about Finish WW2 whifs with that. It's dramatic and beautiful.  :wub:
Whatever.

Dizzyfugu

I guess it would be a bit late for WWII - my source quotes it to come from 1924. But, after all, it's whifworld, and the paint scheme just look darn cool...  ;) Wonder how it would suit a more modern aircraft?

kitbasher

Very nice build. Love the camo - a very angular equivalent of the later Mclelland Barclay schemes for the USN.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

DogfighterZen

I second kitbasher's words, excellent build and as always, excellent photos.  :bow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

nighthunter

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Captain Canada

Very nice ! Love the look of this one. Always been a fan of aeroplanes wearing ski boots.....and when combined with that cammo look out !

Great job as always !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?