Dakota/DC3 pictures now there's two! (Lots)

Started by TallEng, September 14, 2014, 03:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

Seen on the pan at Laarbruch this morning:
A sort of walk around so that your whiffs can be accurately inaccurate  :blink:

I believe he's going to be chucking paras out over Arnheim later on today

Regards
Keith :thumbsup:
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

TsrJoe

brilliant shots, many thanks for sharing, its interesting to see the glider towing point fitted and the taped padding over the door protuberancies for para dropping, cool :)

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

kerick

Ditto TsrJoe's comments! Lucky thing you were out early this morning. Thanks again for posting these. You might consider sending these to Prime Portal, http://www.primeportal.net/home.htm
I also was wondering what the taping around the door was for until I thought about paratroops jumping.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

rickshaw

I suspect the taping/padding is a post-war thing.  The glider pintle is a nice addition and unusual.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: TsrJoe on September 14, 2014, 06:05:45 AM
brilliant shots, many thanks for sharing, its interesting to see the glider towing point fitted and the taped padding over the door protuberancies for para dropping, cool :)

cheers, Joe

I echo Joe's thanks and his point re the towing point saves me for asking what it is
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TallEng

Glad you found it interesting/educational :cheers:
I've done some rummaging on the web and found this
Site :
http://www.ruudleeuw.com/c47-dragemoot.htm
Which explains about the Aircrafts History, which is
Also very interesting as it's a Genuine war Veteran :bow: :bow:
With the Bullet scars to show.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

kitnut617

This particular DC-3 just happens to be this months subject in the 'Ghosts' calendar, neat that you got to see it for real --  :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Rheged

Thank you, both for a lot of very useful pictures, and for the concept you outline of our future whiffs being "more accurately inaccurate"..... what a delightful turn of phrase!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

OGL will love you for them, he's a did-in-the-wool Dak fan.

I wondered why the glider hook wasn't a surprise to me as it obviously was to others here, but then remembered that my younger years were spent on various RAF Transpot Command stations where glider hooks were the norm, on  Daks and Valettas usually.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 14, 2014, 11:07:37 AM

Well I wouldn't go quite that far Kit. But Great pics any way.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 14, 2014, 11:07:37 AM

I wondered why the glider hook wasn't a surprise to me as it obviously was to others here, but then remembered that my younger years were spent on various RAF Transpot Command stations where glider hooks were the norm, on  Daks and Valettas usually.

Not a surprise.  I recognised it instantly from the diagrams in my copy of the IWM's reissue of the Airborne Forces Manual 1945.   Marvellous book which details everything you ever wanted to know about British airborne practice.   :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

TallEng

And then there were two :drink:
This one is also a War Veteran (it turned up while I was away)

No tow hook on this one.

Also with taped up hinges

Night flying blind on the landing light

Oily bits

Two together :thumbsup:

Regards
Keith

jcf

Quote from: rickshaw on September 14, 2014, 07:40:21 AM
I suspect the taping/padding is a post-war thing. 

Nope, photos of USAAF C-47As prior to the D-Day drops with padding on the door edge
and tape over the hinges are not unusual.

TallEng

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 16, 2014, 11:30:25 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on September 14, 2014, 07:40:21 AM
I suspect the taping/padding is a post-war thing. 

Nope, photos of USAAF C-47As prior to the D-Day drops with padding on the door edge
and tape over the hinges are not unusual.

It makes sense, after all once you've jumped out, you don't want you're static line caught
In the hinges of the door! That could cause all sorts of difficulties  :o

Regards
Keith

Captain Canada

Nice ! Great selection of pics. Love the shot of the glider hook....never seen that before ! *click* *save*

:party:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?