superglue on vac form canopies

Started by Tojo633, September 17, 2014, 03:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tojo633

All
Not sure if anyone has posted a solution to this problem but I was restoring a vac form Junkers EF-128 kit and re-painting in a desert colour scheme as per World War 2 Desert Me109E's. Anyway the canopy was removed during the paint stripping process and re-attached with pva glue, sadly while superglueing the nose undercarriage the canopy became fogged up as a result.
What to do? Well something in the recessed brains cells said toothpaste as an abrasive, so armed with some spare toothpaste, a cotton bud and some damp kitchen roll I gently worked the toothpaste into the inside of the canopy. I was quite surprised but after a few minutes the canopy came up good as new. Not sure if anyone else has tried this so thought I would post it for anyone interested.
Cheers
Sandy

kerick

I'll have to remember this trick, sounds like a great solution.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Yup toothpaste is a good, gentle abrasive, after all that's how it works. Very controllable as well. You can use your finger to apply and work it.

Again this is an old technique from the days of balsa wood and talcum powder/dope that needs bringing out in the open every now and again. Us old 'un's forget some of the young 'un's may not have heard/read of them  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.