F-5A/F-5E query

Started by kitbasher, September 21, 2014, 04:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Having looked at a bunch of photos and plans of F-5As and Es, am I right in concluding that the principle external difference between the two (other than lumps, bumps and aerials, and the Swiss F-5E upgrade (now USN F5-N) radome) is the shape of the LERX?  Some plans suggest the engine intakes on the E are a different shape to the A.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

AFAIK the later variants have slightly larger intakes with larger exhausts too, plus double cranked LERX that come further forward on the nose. The fuselage is longer too, but I'm sure quite where the increase is.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Thanks Kit.  Judging from a tinterweb trawl the E's fuselage is about 4 inches longer.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

ChernayaAkula

Here are the contents of the Belcher Bits 1/32 F-5A conversion set (LINK!) to turn HAsegawa's 1/32 F-5E into an F-5A. The fuselage aft of the cockpit is completely different.

Maybe also have a look at this conversion: LINK!

The stretch seems to be between the cockpit and the fin leading edge. The F-5A's spine seems to slope up much steeper towards the cockpit than the F-5E's.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Captain Canada

That's one of those things I've never really thought of.....and indeed, they are completely different ! That belcher set looks awesome...then again, all his stuff looks awesome !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

martinbayer

In the A the fin blends into the spine, whereas in the E it is thinner and sits on top of the spine.

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.