The almost predictable Lightning

Started by PR19_Kit, September 26, 2014, 04:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steel Penguin

Kit  the Airfix spares department is   infamous  in the way that it is so far beyond famous that its "infamous"  Ive only had to ask any thing of them once,  and that was a couple of bits for a wif ( still planned)  they got the parts out to me toot sweet, and for gratis.  :bow:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 26, 2014, 10:23:54 AM
I had a look at the F-104 wing as an extension but it has tapered leading and trailing edges and it's too darn small really.

F-5 wing as an extension piece? (Gets you a tip pylon too...)

As a complete wing replacement for the wingless wonders: Mirage III, Kfir (dirt cheap), SU-9/11/15 Rafale, Eurofighter, TSR.2.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

deathjester

Lightning PR7, with rocket booster, and cameras in the front of the belly tank??  This all sounds faintly familiar, in a Hemp over Black way... ;D

martinbayer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 26, 2014, 04:49:24 AM
What do you do with two Lightning F2As with only their starboard wings???  :unsure: :banghead:

Somehow Tophe comes to mind...

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Steel Penguin on September 26, 2014, 11:35:27 AM
Kit  the Airfix spares department is   infamous  in the way that it is so far beyond famous that its "infamous"  Ive only had to ask any thing of them once,  and that was a couple of bits for a wif ( still planned)  they got the parts out to me toot sweet, and for gratis.  :bow:

Oooh, I didn't know that, it might be worth a try then, thanks.

Quote from: deathjester on September 26, 2014, 03:11:35 PM
Lightning PR7, with rocket booster, and cameras in the front of the belly tank??  This all sounds faintly familiar, in a Hemp over Black way... ;D

Funny you should say that, did you build one then ?

Quote from: martinbayer on September 26, 2014, 03:37:26 PM
Somehow Tophe comes to mind...

Martin

Hehehe, that HAD occured to me too, Tophe would think it was normal.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: deathjester on September 26, 2014, 03:11:35 PM

Ahah, so you did, back in 2011, and I was very enthusiastic about it too. I've obviously a need for a memory upgrade.  ;D

For everyone else the build thread is here :- http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,30678.0.html

I think I'll have to change mine to a PR9 then as I've already built an F8 and think about a different colour scheme. The backstory of my PR9 is somewhat different as all 15 of the PR9s were converted from F2As and F6s after they'd been brought back from Germany and didn't have all that much performance improvement over the original fighters.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

deathjester

Cheers mate!  I was just debating whetherto cast about and find the PR7 build - I knew you wouldn't be able to resist a recon Frightening for long!  How about some totally different wings, say fixed versions of the F-111 wings??  And maybe some different engines - our research showed that the Spey 25R could be shoehorned in, perhaps slightly increase the rear fuselage diameter??

PR19_Kit

I may leave those upgrades to the PR10.  ;D

Regards
Kit

deathjester

Aha!  You've referenced it - now you have to do it :wacko:

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 26, 2014, 07:30:49 AM
<...> or maybe something totally different instead. <...> F-4 wings? <...>

F-4 wings sound good.  :thumbsup: But how to mount them? Keep the Lightning lay-out and use the F-4 wings in place of the Lightning's wings (with the ends turned down TSR.2-style?)? Or with the F-4 wing moved back and low (ends turned up), with F-4 or Lightning stabs for canards?

Or if it doesn't have to be Western, how about these wing-wings from a Su-17 Fitter? Mastercraft's Su-17 should be cheap and plentiful! Wing area is about the same when swept back and a little more when swept forward.

EDIT: Liked the F-4 idea so much I whipped up two three-views:

Lighting and Phantom parts have the same scale. Only the F-4-stabs-turned-canards are smaller than their real-life counterparts.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

zenrat

If it's to be a PR bird then how about U2 wings...
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

I love ALL of those ideas, specially the carnard Lightning.  :thumbsup:

That Corona PR1 looks the business too, although the wings could be a tad longer.  ;D

My concept is a tactical recce aircraft rather than a strategic type like the U-2, PR19 etc. Sort of a latter day Swift FR5, which is what triggered it off in the first place. The PR9s were all based in West Germany with a remit for pre- and post-strike recce of short range targets if the Red Hordes started playing games. All this in the early 80s when the RAF had no tactical recce types on their lists.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 27, 2014, 12:20:01 AM

That Corona PR1 looks the business too, although the wings could be a tad longer.  ;D

My concept is a tactical recce aircraft rather than a strategic type like the T-2, PR19 etc. Sort of a latter day Swift FR5, which is what triggered it off in the first place. The PR9s were all based in West Germany with a remit for pre- and post-strike recce of short range targets if the Red Hordes started playing games. All this in the early 80s when the RAF had no tactical recce types on their lists.

No dedicated built as tactical recce but what about the Jaguars of 2 and 41 Squadrons? And if you were going to make your Lightening as a Tactical Reconnaissance aircraft, why not just go with the camera fit as the aircraft would have to be fast in and fast out so larger wings would mean less manoeuvrability and more drag.

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on September 27, 2014, 01:24:19 AM

My concept is a tactical recce aircraft rather than a strategic type like the T-2, PR19 etc. Sort of a latter day Swift FR5, which is what triggered it off in the first place. The PR9s were all based in West Germany with a remit for pre- and post-strike recce of short range targets if the Red Hordes started playing games. All this in the early 80s when the RAF had no tactical recce types on their lists.

No dedicated built as tactical recce but what about the Jaguars of 2 and 41 Squadrons? And if you were going to make your Lightening as a Tactical Reconnaissance aircraft, why not just go with the camera fit as the aircraft would have to be fast in and fast out so larger wings would mean less manoeuvrability and more drag.

Gondor

The Vinten pods for Jags were very unreliable and the RAF needed something 'quick and dirty'. That's my (back)story and I'm sticking to it.  ;D

That's exactly how I AM building it now, with just the camera fit, but with some extra tankage because of the heavy fuel burn at low level and a small amount of 'self defence'......  ;)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 27, 2014, 09:20:52 AM
Quote from: Gondor on September 27, 2014, 01:24:19 AM

Gondor

The Vinten pods for Jags were very unreliable and the RAF needed something 'quick and dirty'. That's my (back)story and I'm sticking to it.  ;D

That's exactly how I AM building it now, with just the camera fit, but with some extra tankage because of the heavy fuel burn at low level and a small amount of 'self defence'......  ;)

The Vitten pods were only added later in the Jaguar's service life, they started out with the BAC Reconnaissance pod and yes to start with navigation was shocking but it was improved upon fairly quickly.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....