The almost predictable Lightning

Started by PR19_Kit, September 26, 2014, 04:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

The smaller tanks, ex F-104G items, are going to be hung under the outer wings from the same hardpoints used by the Saudi and Kuwaiti AFs. The normal missile/lower gun bays are filled up with cameras.  ;D

I've also built some ex F-104 tip tanks, but they made the whole thing a bit too fussy looking.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

green and grey look good to me as well Kit ( normal caveats apply). but look as good as ever.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

OK, thanks for the judgements on the colour. It'll look different with the decals on of course, and I may get some of them done today.

IF I can fix my car's driver's side windscreen wiper, just what you need when it's bucketing down of course.  :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Me too.  Clearing primer is one of my favourite tricks.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Sometimes things just turn out RIGHT!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'd always planned the PR9 to be with 4 (AC) Squadron, a] Because it was my Dad's unit before WWII b] because they'd be returning to their almost traditional role of tactical PR as they did flying Audaxes and Lysanders etc. and c] because they flew Swift FR5s in conjunction with 79 Sqdn. early in the 50s.

Now in modern times, post WWII, 4 (AC) carried their Squadron colours on the nose or either side of the roundel in the shape of a black and red diagonally split rectangle on a gold background with a gold lightning stripe through the middle. Oh hell, it's easier to post a pic...........

Lightning F2As and F6s carried their squadron colours either side of the nose mounted roundel, like this, as seen on the Airfix box lid :-

So I thought I'd combine the two and put the 4 (AC) Sqdn. colours either side of the roundel but of course they didn't exist in decal form anywhere as 4 (AC) Sqdn. never flew Lightnings in any shape or form. That meant I'd have to make them, so after hours of fiddling about with PaintShoPro I had my Squadron flashes drawn up, but they were TINY, like 4 mm wide maximum! To my mind the bits across the diagonal didn't look too much like lightning flashes but they were the only game in town so I printed them off.

While waiting for the varnish to dry I looked around for some underwing roundels as the kit ones are 3 colour and I wanted some 2 colour ones to go along with the low altutide scenario I had in my head. Lightnings had very small underwing roundels as the landing gear took up much of the wing undersurface, so looking for these things wasn't the work of a moment, but eventually I came across a small scrap of decal in amongst the VAST piles of them that I have filed away.

It was from a Harrier GR3 and they had small 2 colour underwing roundels too, EXACTLY the right size for what I needed, but even better, the sheet was for a 4 (AC) Sqdn. Harrier!  :thumbsup:

There were the nose badges for the GR3 just waiting to be trimmed and placed either side of the nose roundels and they were MILES better than the one's I'd drawn up! RESULT!  :thumbsup:  :cheers: :party: :bow:

The sheet also included the circular '4' badge that I promptly trimmed off and placed on the extreme nose of the PR9.

How about that for a stroke of luck then?  ;D

That last pic's about 4 times full size so you can see how small the badges are.

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

That's looking excellent Kit....serendipity at it's best eh!  ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

TallEng

Yes, that does look good :thumbsup:
Too late now I know, but I would have put the '4'
On the fin, as per their Sabre's and probably Hunter's too.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

I've printed up a small Squadron crest for the fin, the one in a ring with a crown on the top and a motto 'In Futurum Videre' (To see into the Future) underneath, as below. Then I have to find some fin codes but I must only have about 3 million of them in my decal collection!  ;D

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Sometimes I think this stencillng lark can go too far.

The Airfix F2A and F6 kits are AWASH with stencil decals, almost 200 of the little blighters! I'm using some overwing tanks from an old FROG F6 but using decals for them from the Airfix F6 LTF Lightning, each tanks has SIXTEEN stencil decals, for goodness sake!  :banghead:

My PR9 won't have that many because the LTF ones are white, to show up on my dark grey tanks, and some are so tiny I can't see them on the backing paper so can't grab them with the pincers to apply them, madness!

Normally I really enjoy the decal pase of a build, it's when the model becomes 'alive', but this is starting to be a real pain and I'm only about 1/4 of the way though this bit so far.

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together ? Or just falls together !

:cheers: :wub: :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 08, 2014, 03:14:53 PM
Normally I really enjoy the decal pase of a build, it's when the model becomes 'alive', but this is starting to be a real pain and I'm only about 1/4 of the way though this bit so far.

I know what you mean Kit. I find the transfer stage not only brings a model to life but can also turn a model you are a bit iffy about into one you actually like  ;D

As for stencils ? Most of my builds don't have many (are they a phenomenon of the jet age ?)  and even then some of them don't get used. To be honest they actually spoil the look of some models IMHO. Some of the models of Japanese F4's/F15's you see look like advertising billboards and just do not look right to my eye. Totally personal opinion and I know others will hold the opposite view and that's perfectly acceptable to me  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

I'm doing the 'bare minimum' with the stencils on the PR9, it took me over an hour to do the 2nd overwing tank today, and I've only used 8-9 of the intended 16 stencils. Life's too short.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Sometimes they're needed, particularly on flat, boring schemes (eg most modern ones!) to break things up and add interest. They're much less needed on more interesting schemes. IMO, of course. I tend to to the "major" markings first - roundels, squadron badges, walkway/no step lines and so on - then add a few stencils at a time (starting with important ones like warning labels), and just stop when I think I've added enough. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<