A Little Rhinoplasty

Started by Gondor, September 26, 2014, 07:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

I usually do a coat of flat white primer from a rattle can. Goes on really thin but covers well, then I can brush on a gloss coat of white or yellow.

Look forward to seeing more. Love Phantoms...and this one is going to be good !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: JayBee on September 27, 2014, 11:46:07 AM

Is it going to be ready for the Glasgow show?

Jim

A bit late to answer this one, but yes it will be finished for the Glasgow show, just don't know which year  ;D

Small but steady progress here, intakes are painted and are close to getting assembled, however a test fit of the parts showed that there was a slight gap at the bottom on the intakes which I am providing a remedy consisting of a shim of plastic card  :thumbsup:

I intend to try a new technique with the air intakes in an attempt to imply that there is some trunking further inside the intakes, pictures later if all goes well.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

A bit more progress. The Intakes are fitted and filler added which I am in the process of sanding back. Just wondering if I should add leading edge slats to the outer wing panels as I have some spare from a Hasegawa RF-4EJ kit.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Gondor

Quote from: DogfighterZen on January 07, 2015, 02:04:08 PM
Any pics for us?  :cheers:

There will be in a few weeks as I have just checked the paint I have used to prime my PSR and I think I can move ahead and start putting camouflage onto the aircraft so until its getting somewhere with that I will hold back on the pictures.

Gondor

Captain Canada

Cool. Glad to hear she's going again. Look forward to seeing the pics !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Gave the model a wash and scrub to make sure that dust and such were not clogging any panel lines.

Decided not to add the outer wing leading edge manoeuvring slats. If I build a second aircraft I will add them and the slatted tail along with the RWR on the fin tip.

Colour scheme will be Light Grey/Extra Dark Grey/Green with black codes and 17 Sqn markings. Roundels and fin flash will be Red/White/Blue and the airframe will have a semi-gloss finish.

No painting until the weekend, not because the aircraft is drying after its bath, just that I have too many things on the go in the next day or so.

Gondor

Sauragnmon

Personally, I disabled the autofocus on my camera, and set it on Macro when I go to take pics of my work - good for up close details, and if you have it on target focus, you should get better results.  It's probably trying to find what it identifies as a face or a target, but if you have it set to just focus on the little crosshair, you'll get better results.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Gondor

Quote from: Sauragnmon on January 08, 2015, 10:16:26 PM
Personally, I disabled the autofocus on my camera, and set it on Macro when I go to take pics of my work - good for up close details, and if you have it on target focus, you should get better results.  It's probably trying to find what it identifies as a face or a target, but if you have it set to just focus on the little crosshair, you'll get better results.

I will have a look at the settings and see what I can come up with.

Realised late last night that the PSR for this build is not over. I still have the air intakes on the nose to add which may require work and there is a small area near the arrestor hook which is not looking as good as it could, in fact there is a bit of a hole, so that will need sorting but on the whole its getting there!

Gondor

Gondor

Sorted the hole by adding some filler  :thumbsup: the air intakes on the sides of the nose are something else though as the parts supplied are either vastly over-scale or during the various PSR sessions I have sanded back the parts which are on the fuselage :blink:

Research is called for I think followed by some more PSR  :banghead:

On the whole though I think this is one of my best builds purely on a basis on the finish I am achieving.

Gondor

Gondor

Right, that's the PSR finished so I thought I would finish off the cockpit.

Not such a great idea as is usual for me often it's more a case of one step forward and two steps backwards  :banghead:

There is enough of the cockpit finished so that I can, with a small amount of paint, close up the canopy, wrong! The ejector seats are only partly built and painted  :banghead:

Oh well, time to get the paint brush out again  :rolleyes:

Gondor

Captain Canada

LOL that's why some folk paint the canopy over  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

So While I was doing a little work on my F-4L I managed to finish painting the seats and stick the canopy on! So this build is not dead yet, it has merely been sleeping!

Not decided on the load-out yet, as it's an earlyish aircraft it should be ground attack so I am thinking two rocket pods on each inboard pylon and either a central fuel tank or two outer wing tanks.

Gondor

Captain Canada

Rocket pods and a centreline gun pod ? How about rockets, centreline fuel, and outboard guns ? I'm all about the guns right now.... :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Quote from: Captain Canada on August 20, 2015, 05:35:09 AM
Rocket pods and a centreline gun pod ? How about rockets, centreline fuel, and outboard guns ? I'm all about the guns right now.... :thumbsup:

No, no gun pods Captain, I have pretty much decided on the rocket pods though, its just the fuel tanks and where they are. Just had an idea, Sidewinders on the inner pylons, tanks under the outer wings and a bucket of instant sunshine on the centre line pylon, probably have to be a B61 I think though a B58 would do (my designations could be wrong though).

Gondor