Triumph TR7 another idea with photos!

Started by McColm, September 29, 2014, 08:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

When the Triumph TR7 was launched heads turned and a lot of Wows from small boys were heard all over the UK.
They were short lived as like many other British Leyland cars it fell foul of quality control and expectations.
Crayford and BL did go down the convertible route, and a estate/hatchback (one example built,but never put into production.)

Monogram and Airfix did a 1/24 plastic kit, hardtop version.

For me a saloon version or mini-Princess wedge looks feasible. Two ways of building:
buy two kits and stretch one or buy one and graft the front end onto a four door saloon .

I think there was a TR8 in plastic as well, its just a case of shoehorning a V8 that will fit the engine bay.

Not too sure if there was another Wedge in plastic.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on September 29, 2014, 08:34:01 AM
When the Triumph TR7 was launched heads turned and a lot of Wows from small boys were heard all over the UK.
They were short lived as like many other British Leyland cars it fell foul of quality control and expectations.
Crayford and BL did go down the convertible route, and a estate/hatchback (one example built,but never put into production.)

For me a saloon version or mini-Princess wedge looks feasible. Two ways of building:
buy two kits and stretch one or buy one and graft the front end onto a four door saloon .

I think there was a TR8 in plastic as well, its just a case of shoehorning a V8 that will fit the engine bay.

That was the Lynx, but there was more than one of them, it's just that only one's left now, the green one in the pic below.

The middle one was a convertible version, called the Fury, but the green and brown ones were both entitled Lynxes, and I think there was an orange and a dark red one too. I saw the green one, BHP 2T, 'in the flesh' at the Canley site in 1984 or so, and it was pretty shabby then, but they did a good job on before they put it in the Gaydon Museum.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Thanks Kit, I knew I'd seen the Lynx at the British Leyland museum which used to be in Syon Park Houndslow.
Thanks again for the photos. I might have a go at building all three, if I can source the donor parts or scratchbuild from plasticard.

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 29, 2014, 09:44:39 AM
Quote from: McColm on September 29, 2014, 08:34:01 AM

That was the Lynx, but there was more than one of them, it's just that only one's left now, the green one in the pic below.

The middle one was a convertible version, called the Fury, but the green and brown ones were both entitled Lynxes, and I think there was an orange and a dark red one too. I saw the green one, BHP 2T, 'in the flesh' at the Canley site in 1984 or so, and it was pretty shabby then, but they did a good job on before they put it in the Gaydon Museum.

I'm building the green hatchback using the Revell 1/25 snap-together Triumph TR8 and the Monogram 1/24 Shelby Charger Turbo snap-tite kits.
The hatchback from the Charger L-body fits on the TR8 soft-top without too much trouble just needs shaping to fit the windscreen pillars.
The Charger becomes a convertible, I'll see if the hardtop from the XK-E fits!.

PR19_Kit

That'll be good.  :thumbsup:

You could be building the first ever plastic model of a Lynx, apart from any that A-R built of course.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Does anyone know the interior trim colours or was it a standard scheme as the TR7 or TR8?

PR19_Kit

The green car has a fairly un-prepossessing mid brown trim as I recall. I'm not due to go to Gaydon in the near future or I could check.

Regards
Kit

McColm

Thanks Kit,
The TR7 went through various colours black and tartan seats, a beige colour, or just black.
This is what I came up with.
https://imgur.com/a/dBMxv1C