Ideas for the 1/72 Fairchild C-123

Started by McColm, October 01, 2014, 07:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

There are now two plastic kits in 1/72 scale of the Fairchild C-123 Provider:
Mach2 C-123K and the recently released Roden HC-123B. Priced at £42.99. The wings and nacelles are separate sub-assemblies. With rib detail inside the rear cargo hold.
From what I've seen the Roden kit is the better of the two. Been on line to to a bit of research and the list of variants , proposed and one-offs will keep any Whiffer busy.
Both the Chase and Stroukoff versions can be built by raiding the spares bin.
The Stoukoff YC-123E appeals to me as a float plane, but my twist would be an air cushion landing system, keeping the floats.
Changing the engines to a pair of Griffons or T-33 turbojets to give a mini-YC-14 or YC-15 look.
T-64 turboprops were proposed but not fitted so a pair of RR Tynes wouldn't look out of place either.
Maritime , EW, Gunship and AEW spring to mind. COD?
VSTOL maybe.

PR19_Kit

They built a glider version as well, with NO engines!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

If you were to take the wings off ,it would make a great boat or houseboat! Keep the wheels for the beaching gear. A mobile home ?

kitnut617

Combat Models do a vacuform of it in 1/72, and way cheaper than both those injection offerings.  I've got a couple in the stash, one will be a Chase XC-123A using left over parts from one of the B-36's I have which will be built as a B-36A or B (got decals for it already)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

A Hawkeye engine and prop combo would look great and make for a big COD bird.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Thanks for the info. It appears to me that the Provider was used as a mini C-130 in all the same roles. The C-123T which I'm right in thinking was a modern update using the PT-76 turboprop engines for Thailand, not too sure if this went a head

I had a radical thought of using the C-119 twin boom tail and kitbashing the two. Which would fill the gap between the Boxcar and Nord 1250.
There is nothing to stop you from a civvie version, if you prefer.

scooter

Quote from: McColm on October 01, 2014, 01:14:40 PM
Thanks for the info. It appears to me that the Provider was used as a mini C-130 in all the same roles. The C-123T which I'm right in thinking was a modern update using the PT-76 turboprop engines for Thailand, not too sure if this went a head (snip)

According to Wikipedia one prototype then cancelled for budgetary reasons.  Which is a shame, because it was already in the role that the C-27J Spartan was going to fill.  Hindsight, as we all know, is 20/20 or better
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

The C-27J Spartan I've got will be an RN COD for the new carriers they have---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

silverwindblade

An AWACS/AEW version. Or an SF transport, an 'MC-123' with all the associated antennae and lumpy bits. And an IFR probe.
Amidst the blue skies, a link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector...
Gordon's Alive, a Podcast I host. Check us out!

Captain Canada

I like the idea of modern engines and props. Such a neat looking bird.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

jcf

A turboprop version could be roughly comparable to the AN-8.

Jesse220

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Jesse220 on October 12, 2014, 03:57:33 PM
Ever thought of a jet powred c-123?

That's the Chase XC-123A that kitnut617 mentioned in post #3.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit