A modernized SU-22 Fighter

Started by Jesse220, October 01, 2014, 01:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 07, 2014, 06:52:20 AM
Hah, I found the pic of the photoshopped Su-17!

Check this:

I know this one used an F-4 or F-105F/G cockpit, but it strikes me that the easiest solution (if you can get the kit) is to use a two-seat Fitter as a basis: it's canopy is very much along those lines. Then "all" you have to do is add an F-4 nosecone and IRST. For more appropriate intakes, how about 1/48th Mirage or 1/72nd F-106 ones?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: kerick on November 02, 2014, 08:55:56 PM
See what you guys made me do!

When I pulled out the Monogram F-105 I had started a number of years ago the wings had become bent in the box so it was no loss to saw them off. The SU-22 wings are from a Hobbycraft kit I've had sitting around for too long. Everything is 1/72 scale. Weapons and paint will be an issue to decide. When I get farther along I'll start a thread for it.

Hehe...  :wacko:

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Jesse220

Oh man I can't wait to see it finished.  ;D

kerick

I'm thinking SEA colors and full bomb truck mode.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Librarian

That squared off trailing edge behind the air intakes would be a good place to put dive/air brakes, then keep the exhaust bin nice and smooth. This IS good :wub:.

kerick

Quote from: Librarian on November 06, 2014, 05:07:59 AM
That squared off trailing edge behind the air intakes would be a good place to put dive/air brakes, then keep the exhaust bin nice and smooth. This IS good :wub:.

This would be a good idea but I just boxed that area in last night! :rolleyes: Oh well, next time.....
I'll have to scribe in some flaps, F-101 style.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Jesse220

Oh yeah I can't wait to see it finished  :wub:

Weaver

The four-petal airbrake setup on the F-105 was actually very good. It approximated to the "impossible ideal" of an umbrella trailing behind the plane, since it produced neither pitching moments nor turbulence that disturbed control surfaces behind it. When the gear was down the lower flap was disabled, causing the upper one to generate a pitch-up force, which is just what you need when landing.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

kerick

If I show this project parked I will have to leave the bottom petal hanging down as it dropped down once the engine was off.
Tophe the Wise

Jesse220

Quote from: kerick on November 06, 2014, 03:23:39 PM
If I show this project parked I will have to leave the bottom petal hanging down as it dropped down once the engine was off.

Sounds like it's going to be a tough one

kerick

The F-105 parts are from the Monogram 1/72 kit. The four petals are molded separately, thank heaven. The F-105 has raised panel lines and the SU-22 has engraved lines so this might be some engraving of lines on the F-105. Not looking forward to that.
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: kerick on November 06, 2014, 03:23:39 PM

Correct: the hydraulic pressure ran down and it gradually dropped, just like the flaps and/or undercarriage doors do on many aircraft.

- Indiana Jones

Jesse220

The modernized SU-22 fighter is going to be perfect ;D

kerick

Tophe the Wise