A modernized SU-22 Fighter

Started by Jesse220, October 01, 2014, 01:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse220

Well I've Been thinking that the Su-22 swing wing fighter would be upgraded with a nosecone, pluss intakes for each side of the swing wings, and new avionics. also it would require a new jet engine to make it go faster.

McColm

Jesse220

Quote from: McColm on October 02, 2014, 08:51:32 AM
Go for it.

I am not a modeler. so I need someone to make a modernized Su-22 fighter

Dizzyfugu

Has been done, at least as a photo montage. Someone mated an upscaled A-4 Skyhawk front onto a Su-22. Would not work in the real world or in model hardware form, but it looked goob. Most complicated thing would IMHO be the new air intakes. That would be a major transplantation, even though I like the idea (and the challenge!). New theoretical engine would not be that complicated, I guess.

Jesse220

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 03, 2014, 11:49:12 AM
Has been done, at least as a photo montage. Someone mated an upscaled A-4 Skyhawk front onto a Su-22. Would not work in the real world or in model hardware form, but it looked goob. Most complicated thing would IMHO be the new air intakes. That would be a major transplantation, even though I like the idea (and the challenge!). New theoretical engine would not be that complicated, I guess.

That sound's nice I would like to see it

Army of One

Ha.....Mr DF would probably be able to knock one up in an afternoon and photograph it next am when all the paint dry..... :thumbsup:  ;)
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

rickshaw

F-105 or Hunter style root intakes would be fairly easy to do.  As for a nose you could use a Hunter or the already mentioned A-4 or perhaps an F-20?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

McColm

Or do something similar to the Chinese Mig-21.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: rickshaw on October 06, 2014, 12:37:55 AM
F-105 or Hunter style root intakes would be fairly easy to do.  As for a nose you could use a Hunter or the already mentioned A-4 or perhaps an F-20?

Yeah, that was also an idea that came to my mind - maybe Saab 35 style?
The tricky part is that the Su-22 has a round fuselage diameter - adding intakes and the respective ducts widens the fuselage even more. If I build one I'd like to keep the original nose and close the air intake with a radome, but placing new air intakes (and the should not be too small, since we have a rather powerful single engine) is a thing that is not as simple as it seems. Hunter style intakes, maybe with some pronounced splitter plates and sharp lips, sounds good, too. I put that on the list...  :thumbsup:

BTW: got hands on a SMER Su-22M4.  :wacko:

Librarian

I toyed with this idea some time ago and can report that the SU-22/F-105 combination is very feasible:

Didn't complete simply because I couldn't be ar*ed to rescribe the 105's wings to match the SU22. No memory of where the radome came from.

ChernayaAkula

If you don't want to rescribe the Thud wings, use the intakes only. Sorta like this:

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

kerick

I do have those two kits on hand.......
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Jesse220

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on October 06, 2014, 09:53:05 AM
If you don't want to rescribe the Thud wings, use the intakes only. Sorta like this:

Not bad, looks like the Chinese copied of the F-105 and the Su-22

Dizzyfugu

Go for it!  ;D

I really like ChernayaAkula VG F-105 - looks fast from above. A Su-22 with a solid nose will look more compact, though, but I might try to build one (creating the "Su-23"?). Already have an idea for a livery: Su-24 style, in light gray and white, with Soviet/Russian markings, maybe for the Navy. Should look odd on the round Su-22.

ChernayaAkula

^ Soviet/Russian navy could make sense. Nice big search radar in the nose. For the armament maybe an anti-shipping version of the AS-9 Kyle?

Here's a view with the wings swept back. The parts are to scale, but needed a little spacer between Thud fuselage and Fitter wings due to some problem with the angle of the Thud's line-art.

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?