A modernized SU-22 Fighter

Started by Jesse220, October 01, 2014, 01:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse220

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on October 06, 2014, 02:06:40 PM
^ Soviet/Russian navy could make sense. Nice big search radar in the nose. For the armament maybe an anti-shipping version of the AS-9 Kyle?

Here's a view with the wings swept back. The parts are to scale, but needed a little spacer between Thud fuselage and Fitter wings due to some problem with the angle of the Thud's line-art.

Maybe the Chinese air force or navy could use the Modernized SU-22

Dizzyfugu

Hah, I found the pic of the photoshopped Su-17!

Check this:

Jesse220

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 07, 2014, 06:52:20 AM
Hah, I found the pic of the photoshopped Su-17!

Check this:

That looks nice thanks :cheers:

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

famvburg

You could have a belly intake like the MiG-21 - based Ye-8. Use an F-16 intake and radome of your liking. Also, IIRC, Sukhoi had a prototype of an Su-9/11 - type, the T-49, and it had a nose cone and side intakes. A Model makes a kit so that should make the fuselage mod pretty easy. I think an "enlarged Ye-8" would be cool.

Jesse220

Quote from: famvburg on October 08, 2014, 10:17:02 AM
You could have a belly intake like the MiG-21 - based Ye-8. Use an F-16 intake and radome of your liking. Also, IIRC, Sukhoi had a prototype of an Su-9/11 - type, the T-49, and it had a nose cone and side intakes. A Model makes a kit so that should make the fuselage mod pretty easy. I think an "enlarged Ye-8" would be cool.

Well I guess it is possible  :rolleyes:

Captain Canada

Those are some cool looking concepts !

And that photoshopped bird is just awesome !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Jesse220

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 08, 2014, 04:01:58 PM

Yes indeed they are :cheers:

kerick

A 1/48th Su-22 with a radome and a 1/72nd F-16 intake on each side. :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 08, 2014, 04:01:58 PM

Yes, but not plausible (sorry for being picky here). The air intakes are not suited for supersonic cruise and the guns in front of the air intakes would certainly cause some trouble for the engine.
Not certain if an F-16 nose arrangement wouldn't be "too modern" here? Anyway, I'll tackle this challenge next (starts when the basis kit eventually arrives...  :rolleyes:) and try a side intake arrangement with splitter plates (F-4 style) first, positioned at the wing roots and with the guns relocated into the lower fuselage (where the original air duct would be - we gain a lot of space!). A Hawker Hunter solution would be the fall-back option. Already searched through the pile of weapon sets for ordnance, Kh-31As look promising...  :wacko:

Dizzyfugu

Hurray, unlocked again!!!! Thanks a lot to NARSES2 for taking care of this "accident"!  :cheers:

BTW - still waiting for my Smer Su-17 to arrive, but already collected some donation parts - esp. a radome and the air intakes. Looking forward to start this one off, settled on Su-18 designation...  ;D

Jesse220

It's a miracle that it is unlocked. Whoever unlocked it I just want to say thanks :wub:

Oh and I'm thinking that the Modernized SU-22 could have the body of the JF-17 Thunder, with swing wings. What do you say about that? :rolleyes:

Dizzyfugu

Very modern-looking idea. But I think the JF-17 is a bit small/short - the Su-17/22 is a massive aircraft. Even though I think that the nose section could be transplanted.

BTW, my Smer Su-17 has arrived and work started. Nice kit, good engraved panel lines, but nothing really fits together and there are some detail weaknesses. But it was cheap and is a good basis for my conversion plan. "My" Su-18 will become the missing link between the late Su-17M4 and the Su-24 tactical bomber. Air intake installation in the wing roots also looks feasible, I just am a bit afraid of the air ducts that have to be added on the flanks for smooth overall lines, if that's possible with this aircraft. Looks promising, though.  :ph34r:

Jesse220

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 15, 2014, 11:33:43 PM
Very modern-looking idea. But I think the JF-17 is a bit small/short - the Su-17/22 is a massive aircraft. Even though I think that the nose section could be transplanted.

BTW, my Smer Su-17 has arrived and work started. Nice kit, good engraved panel lines, but nothing really fits together and there are some detail weaknesses. But it was cheap and is a good basis for my conversion plan. "My" Su-18 will become the missing link between the late Su-17M4 and the Su-24 tactical bomber. Air intake installation in the wing roots also looks feasible, I just am a bit afraid of the air ducts that have to be added on the flanks for smooth overall lines, if that's possible with this aircraft. Looks promising, though.  :ph34r:

Could be possible

kerick

Quote from: Jesse220 on October 06, 2014, 02:14:17 PM
Quote from: ChernayaAkula on October 06, 2014, 02:06:40 PM
^ Soviet/Russian navy could make sense. Nice big search radar in the nose. For the armament maybe an anti-shipping version of the AS-9 Kyle?

Here's a view with the wings swept back. The parts are to scale, but needed a little spacer between Thud fuselage and Fitter wings due to some problem with the angle of the Thud's line-art.

Maybe the Chinese air force or navy could use the Modernized SU-22

See what you guys made me do!

When I pulled out the Monogram F-105 I had started a number of years ago the wings had become bent in the box so it was no loss to saw them off. The SU-22 wings are from a Hobbycraft kit I've had sitting around for too long. Everything is 1/72 scale. Weapons and paint will be an issue to decide. When I get farther along I'll start a thread for it.
Tophe the Wise