Martin PBM 3/5 Mariner and SP-5B Marlin

Started by McColm, October 08, 2014, 05:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

For anyone that likes World War II flying boats the Martin PBM 3/5 Mariner must be on the list of kits to buy. The only snag is Mach2 do the plastic version. Reviews have hinted that this is one their better kits. The usual vague instructions and sink marks, and parts that don't fit. A lot of work is needed to get this kit upto scratch. Once built RAF colours and decals can be added.

However help is at hand for building the SP-5B Marlin. Slightly bigger and with a T-tail, weapons bay and sonobuoy rack produced by Hasegawa and Minicraft.
This kit looks like a two engined variant of the Shin Meiwa PS-1/US-1 amphibious seaplane flown by Japan.
If funds don't stretch that far a four engined Marlin could be built.

Captain Canada

I'd like to see all those kits in 144th scale.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

CANSO

Quote from: McColm on October 08, 2014, 05:21:30 PM
For anyone that likes World War II flying boats the Martin PBM 3/5 Mariner must be on the list of kits to buy. The only snag is Mach2 do the plastic version...
And the price of Mach2 is not what one would expect based on the quality :angry:.
For oldtimers (like myself) the old Revell 1:118 kit remains "the oldy but the goldy" ;D. I have 5 (or 6 :rolleyes:)kits in all possible boxes incl. a Brazilian edition(Lodela).

For youngsters (like my son - BTW his nic in different forums is Martin Mariner :lol:) the Minicraft 1:72 is the best option - lots of parts, bigger than the Revell "box scale" and cheaper than the Mach2 creation.

Green Dragon

Minicraft are doing the earlier PBM-5 version too, with beaching gear and depth bombs incuded.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

McColm

Thanks Guys,
Has anyone built one from this site?

Captain Canada

Are they re-releasing that Revell one ?

I'd like the Minicraft one but their bare-bones 144th kits are over $40 I can just imagine the price of that !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

CANSO

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 08, 2014, 06:27:28 PM
Yes, they are. This was the last rebox from some years ago:

I'd like the Minicraft one but their bare-bones 144th kits are over $40 I can just imagine the price of that !
You'll be surprised! ;)
Just find the right place (with lowest shipping costs) for you. Check Jac Hobbies for example.

Captain Canada

Thanks for the tip ! We have a US shipping address so always looking for a deal or two  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

Minicraft Mariner is £44.99 at Hannants. To be honest that put me off as it would probably have just sat in the stash.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Another underrated kit is the Consolidated PBY-2 Coronado. No there isn't a vacform or resin alternative to the Mach2 7235. Yes it is another Mach2 underdeveloped kit but judging from the reviews could be the basis for a Lockheed Constellation seaplane . The price is steep at £45.99 from Hannants.
Which leads onto the question of buying the the Mach2 SeaMaster 7247 priced at £53.99.

kitnut617

Quote from: McColm on October 09, 2014, 12:17:40 PM
Another underrated kit is the Consolidated PBY-2 Coronado. No there isn't a vacform or resin alternative to the Mach2 7235.

In 1/72, Combat Models, Contrail, Execuform, O'Neil and Rareplane  -- all vacuforms

You could try calling it a Convair PB2Y, you'd get some results then ---  a PBY-2 is an early Catalina
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

McColm

I stand corrected about the Consolidated Coronado in vacform.
There are so many kits of the Catalina, I was looking for the less popular.
Which leads me onto another topic the Short Sunderland and its' variants in USNavy colours.
The Airfix 1/72 has been around for quite some time, the windows are too big, the machine gun turrets need working on and there are sink holes, plus those rivets. The floats need reshaping.
I came up with my version The Sandhurst. Using RR Griffons from a Shackleton kit, pairing up the windows and cutting out the central supporting column to make larger windows and drilling extra ones. There are white metal photo-etch after market kits that will improve the model, but there again lies a problem. You can't see the interior, unless you introduce doors or extend the canopy over the cockpit. The upper gun could make way for a astral dome.

On the Sandhurst I was intending to put a radome in place of the forward turret and a MAD boom at the rear. On the Warrior I chopped the tail off and added the triple tail fins from a Heller C-69. Not a perfect fit but with strips of plasticard and filler did the job of hiding the join. A T-tail would look good with a MAD boom.
The newish Italeri Sunderland looks promising and Eduard has etched sets for the Mk I and MK III.
Other Whiffers have changed the engines and added landing gear. The wings from the BAe Nimrod fit and so do the wings from the Revell/Matchbox Victor. The Victor tail fits as well just incase you get the urge to do a jet version.

I'm sure that there are German flying boats that were tested by the British and Americans. I might have a go Whiffing some of those.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on October 09, 2014, 12:17:40 PM
Which leads onto the question of buying the the Mach2 SeaMaster 7247 priced at £53.99.

You get a lot of plastic for your money with the Mach 2 Seamaster, and it's a tad better than most of their stuff.  In general the shape os pretty good and the fit problems aren't that insoluble, AND it's the only Seamaster kit with the very complex beaching trolly included.

But the canopy is all wrong, they've modelled an early pre-production canopy on a production fuselage. The answer is to get a vacform canopy from Anigrand, which is the correct shape, and you get two of them for around a fiver, good value to my mind.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Thanks Kit.

One of the largest 1/72 flying boats has to be the Blohm & Voss BV222 sold by Revell. Its not that expensiveas I've seen a few on eBay for less than £30 without postage or packing added.
There is a metal or resin beaching gear kit sold seporately .
Its a large kit, so the first question is what are you going to do with it after you've built it.
For me I had three ideas:
Change the engines to RR Tynes- airliner/cargo with Tradewind swing-hinged nose.
Two change the wings- either 1/144 Boeing 747 wings fitted upside down, so engines are above the wings, change the tail fin.
Three. The wings from the Airfix Vulcan. A dry fit works. Turbojet flying boat-delta. 1/48 Vulcan shaped tail fin.

There was a larger flying boat the BV238.

There are vacform Be-12 Mail and I think Roden do a plastic kit.
HobbyBoss do a 1/350 SH-5 with a type 33 submarine.
Airfix do the Boeing 1/144 Clipper.

famvburg

I think it's hard to beat A Model's A Monster 1/72 Hughes Spruce Goose! Next would be Combat's 1/72 Martin Mars.