A USN May

Started by maxmwill, October 13, 2014, 07:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxmwill

Found this in an email someone sent me, a clip from a recent Russian movie(don't ask me the title, because my understanding of Cyrillic is rudimentary at best), and, along with a couple Badgers, one trying to refuel another, is an Il38 May in USN markings, to simulate a P3. While the star on the bottom of one wing is kind of clumsily painted out, it still looks interesting with the star and bar of US registry.

I thought mebbe someone might like an easy whiff, unless it's been done already.

http://youtu.be/z1KwIAQIn-0

CANSO

Quote from: maxmwill on October 13, 2014, 07:46:05 PM
Found this in an email someone sent me, a clip from a recent Russian movie...
In fact it's a 1982 movie - see here.

More about the a/cs used in the movie here.

maxmwill

Ok.

The clip was sent as part of an email from someone who though I might like to see a May in Navy markings, which was a bit interesting,

PR19_Kit

Blimey, they've got every variant of the Tu-16 ever made in that film!  :o

Interesting to see they still use air-droppable lifeboats, and BIG ones too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

maxmwill

Welp, seeing as this is of the same approximate vintage of, and which the same type of message of Top Gun(basically a cinematic recruiting poster), did  the Soviets actually have mounted lifeboats, or was that more an exercize in poetic license?

Me, even if I can't understand Russian, I'm going to see if I can find either the entire film or in sections, as some movies are, and I'll just enjoy watching it, and hang trying to understand the dialogue.

A long time ago, I watched a Japanese movie about the Zero and its pilots, from just before WW2 to the end of the war, and this, being a completely Japanese movie, offered a slightly different perspective from the what the usual fare available in the US has. While I couldn't understand the dialogue, I still enjoyed watching the movie, because not only were the flight and fight scenes pretty good, but they had a bunch of pretty accurate mockups, including the last scene of the movie, where, at the end of the war, a group of Zero pilots gave a Zero a Viking burial(immolation), and what they expressed said it all. Never could find another copy of that  film, because I did want to watch it afterward from time to time, but have had no luck so far.

jcf

The lifeboat equipped Tu-16S SAR aircraft were still in use in the early to mid 1990s according
to Tupolev Aircraft since 1922, Gunston, Putnam 1995.

The lifeboat was dropped then directed to the survivors via radio-control from the aircraft.

maxmwill

Ok.

I never knew of that.

Wouldn't something like that lifeboat add a lot of drag to the Bafger?

Captain Canada

That film looks awesome ! Love all those big heavies. The air droppable life boat looks cool too....and it is huge !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

CANSO

Quote from: JoeP on October 19, 2014, 09:22:08 AM
A USN may what?
May is the NATO codename for Ilyushin Il-38.
Here in the movie:

ReccePhreak

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 14, 2014, 01:54:15 AM
Blimey, they've got every variant of the Tu-16 ever made in that film!  :o

Except for the Tu-16R photo-reconnaissance version.  :banghead:

Larry