The Su-18 ('Fitter N') - a missing family link [pics & story on p. 4]

Started by Dizzyfugu, October 16, 2014, 12:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Going to take a LOT of blending on those big intakes.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

trickyrich

I love this!!!!

The Su-17/22 has to be one of my favourites, have a 1/48 Su-17M3 plus a 22M4 waiting ......for time, plus the F-105 Thud! You just gotta love heavy metal!!!!

The concept is great, am really looking forward to seeing it finished!

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: rickshaw on October 18, 2014, 09:00:29 PM
Going to take a LOT of blending on those big intakes.

You asked for it...  ;)

But first: the wings went into place (note the cookie box blister landing gear wells, and I guess now you understand what I mean concerning the BIG nose of this beast!):

1:72 Sukhoi Su-18 (NATO 'Fitter N'), aircraft "24 Yellow" of the Soviet Naval Aviation Baltic Fleet's 66th OMShAP; Veshchovo AB, Vyborg District/Russia, 1991 (Whif/Smer kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:72 Sukhoi Su-18 (NATO 'Fitter N'), aircraft "24 Yellow" of the Soviet Naval Aviation Baltic Fleet's 66th OMShAP; Veshchovo AB, Vyborg District/Russia, 1991 (Whif/Smer kit conversion) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The air ducts were my biggest concern - instead of sculpting them 100% from putty I found a neat donation part that fits prefectly: a halved underwing radiator bath from an Artmodel Bv 155! Still major putty work necessary, but this arrangement makes things much easier (and symmetrical!).

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 19, 2014, 12:24:00 AM
The air ducts were my biggest concern - instead of sculpting them 100% from putty I found a neat donation part that fits prefectly: a halved underwing radiator bath from an Artmodel Bv 155!

Magic stuff!  :thumbsup:

Does anyone actually build a Bv155 from a Bv155 kit or are they all used as donors for Whiffed models?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

PR19_Kit

Yes, that is wiiiiiiide at the front!  :o

Good Putty-Fu there.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

The new intakes have been beholden ! I liked ! Love the look of this one. But angered at how easy you make it look  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

trickyrich

It's hard to believe you could make an Su-17/22 look any meaner but you have!!! Awesome! :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

Thank you. The Su-18 looks really "massive" with its new nose radome. I will also modify the nose landing gear - moving it forward, so that the new strut with twin wheels will retract backwards. Now the longer/bigger exhaust pays out, too, as it is a good counterbalance to the longer nose section. Painting already started (pics are lagging beheind, as usual in WiPs), and the Su-24 makes it look even more "serious". You really look twice, because the thing features so many typical details of the Su-17, -15 and -24, all welded into one.

Stay tuned...  ;D

nighthunter

Holy funky chicken! That looks more Chi-Com than Russian, in my humble opinion, Master Dizzy.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*