The Su-18 ('Fitter N') - a missing family link [pics & story on p. 4]

Started by Dizzyfugu, October 16, 2014, 12:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 26, 2014, 01:04:16 PM
Totally brilliant Thomas, your best yet I think. Wholly believable too.  :thumbsup: :bow:

Thank you (all), but - as per usual - do not look to closely at the kit itself. The finish is mediocre, partly due to the fact that the Smer kit needs tons of putty to go together.

Personally, I am surprised how good the overall package turned out and how realistic the Su-18 looks - despite the bulbous nose. With everything in place it finally "plays the part", and the simple grey tactical bomber livery adds to that. One of the most effective whifs I built, IMHO, since just a radome and air intakes were added and a different nose wheel implanted. Basically very easy and simple! The more am I amazed how Suchoj-ish the result still looks,  ;D

zenrat

Oooh yeah.  Nice one Dizz.  Love your weathering and as always the photos are the icing on the cake.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Wonderfull build and pics  :bow:

In a 100 years time people will think it really existed  ;D (seriously that actually worries me at time  :banghead:)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot, guys!  :cheers:

Best is that it was inspired/triggered by a discussion here (thanks to Jesse220 for starting the respective thread) - from words to hardware!

ChernayaAkula

Very, very cool!  :bow:
The squashed windshield, which usually ruins the looks of the real-life Fitter models made from this kit, looks really fitting on this one. The modified nose landing gear also looks great.

Seeing this model, I wonder about combing a Flagon fuselage with Fitter swing-wings and a Flogger duckbill nose. Sorta like Dizzyfugu's T-58Sh/Su-15Sh/Su-21D (LINK!), but taking it one step further.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on October 27, 2014, 10:10:57 AM
Very, very cool!  :bow:
The squashed windshield, which usually ruins the looks of the real-life Fitter models made from this kit, looks really fitting on this one. The modified nose landing gear also looks great.

Seeing this model, I wonder about combing a Flagon fuselage with Fitter swing-wings and a Flogger duckbill nose. Sorta like Dizzyfugu's T-58Sh/Su-15Sh/Su-21D (LINK!), but taking it one step further.

Just go ahead!  :cheers:

There's a lot of potential in the Suchoj family. Personally I wondered how a Panavia Tornado with this kind of air intakes would look like...? Maybe with fixed wings and a twin fin...?  ;D

DogfighterZen

I like the whole thing... Very plausible backstory, build and pics! Great work!
:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Dizzyfugu

Thank you very much!  :cheers:

As a side note, fellow FlickR user Eínon built a brick version of the same Su-17 conversion concept (actually inspired by the photoshopped pic on page 1) some time ago - I was not aware of that, but he found my Su-18 build. And here's the "brick beauty" from Portugal:

Quimera strike fighter by Eínon, on Flickr

3 Quimeras on patrol by Eínon, on Flickr

VL-400 Rear view by Eínon, on Flickr

Not my personal style, but VERY cool...  :wub:

DogfighterZen

Very nice indeed! And that makes at least two portuguese guys following your work.  :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

I revive this thread because the kit and its pics on FlickR attained interest from Russia, probably a couple of days ago...

https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Falternathistory.com%2Falternativnyi-palubnyi-istrebitel-bombardirovshchik-su-18-sssr

Trying to follow the ensuing discussion among experts is rather funny.  ;D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 09, 2016, 12:22:00 AM

Trying to follow the ensuing discussion among experts is rather funny.  ;D

It certainly gives you a  headache!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Army of One

What a fantastic build........awesome stuff......I was going in to town for some modelling stuff........may just pop into the haberdashers and speak to the old dears in there re knitting needles and the use of..........
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!