Spray Can Primers

Started by Knightflyer, October 17, 2014, 04:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancer

I always use Halfords white plastic primer to prime and undercoat my stuff. It is in my opinion brilliant. As you say  Kit, it never yellows and I've even used it as a main colour on a couple of occasions. I've also used thier appliance white several times as well. The biggest use was on my Revell AN-124 and it's still as white as the day I applied it - about 6 years ago I think -so I'll always urge people to use them if they can. They also work out a hell of a lot cheaper in the long run over the branded model primers as well.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

PR19_Kit

Nooooooo, I was talking about Aplliance White itself. I've never had good results with Halfords White Primer I'm afraid, but as in all cases it's what works best for you.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

IME it's the clear that yellows not the paint.
Enamel clears in particular are prone to yellowing.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Early, and I mean 1970s, Humbrol Gloss White would 'yellow' while it was still in the tin! I had one tin that had gone so far off that I used it for a cream colour on a model railway job I was doing.

I hope they've got it better these days, but I still won't touch their white with a barge pole.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Okay ...so to hijack my own thread just a bit!  :smiley:

We (that's the Victor and I) have moved forward together. I decided to trial my spray can painting on the 'horizontal' tail surfaces as they are small enough to handle easier and if I was going to make mistakes better on a few square inches/cms that a lot of square inches/cms!

By the way, as an aside, aren't the horizontal tail surfaces on the Victor a 'sexy' shape, makes me think of something very 1950's and science-fictiony....if I had 'spare' ones I could see a 1/144 scale space-plane being done

But anyway, back to reality! So the result so far is one step forward and one shuffly step sidewards and slightly backwards. Primer went on okay, no issues as far as I could see ...I used Humbrol primer in the end, as I discovered I'd got two tins of it that I don't remember buying! (whereas the tin of Halfords grey primer that I could've swore that I had I can't find anywhere  :banghead: )

Then I sprayed Humbrol Gloss 22 on the undersurfaces (and I have taken note of all the comments re the various white paints previously, but my white spray paint can story is similar to my grey primer can one!)

:banghead: I HAVE DIMPLES!  :banghead: Yes the colour is lovely (at the moment) but the finish is not, the white undersides of my Victor tailsurfaces appears to have cellulite!  :o

So gents...over to you...primer I can deal with .....but what have I done wrong with the application of the white spray paint  :unsure:
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

zenrat

Cellulite AKA Orange peel.
Caused by the paint partially drying brfore it hits the model.  Spray closer and/or heat the paint (hot water bath only - if you cant put your hand in the water it's too hot) before spraying.
You should be able to polish the orange peel out.  If its really bad you might have to sand it or strip it.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Knightflyer

Quote from: zenrat on October 19, 2014, 04:04:53 AM
Cellulite AKA Orange peel. You should be able to polish the orange peel out. 

As one question is answered .....another presents itself!  :blink:  how do (what should I use?!) I polish my orange peel out?  :unsure:
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 18, 2014, 06:56:42 AM

That's what the Librarian meant Chris. His post was in response to mine praising Appliance White to the heights.  ;D

Apologies to Librarian, I know what I read at the time of the response, but it's not how I read it now. Getting old   :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Knightflyer on October 19, 2014, 05:49:56 AM
As one question is answered .....another presents itself!  :blink:  how do (what should I use?!) I polish my orange peel out?  :unsure:

One of those sanding kits of various grades of wet and dry to polish out canopies works OK if you have one. Start at around 600 grit and go higher, but it takes a long time, sad to say.

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 19, 2014, 07:30:43 AM
Quote from: Knightflyer on October 19, 2014, 05:49:56 AM

One of those sanding kits of various grades of wet and dry to polish out canopies works OK if you have one. Start at around 600 grit and go higher, but it takes a long time, sad to say.

I have on a couple of occasions polished out canopies and minor blemishes with cheap talcum powder. Takes forever, but it's very gentle......and your model smells interesting afterwards!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Before splashing out on a polishing kit see if you can find/borrow some cutting compound (T Cut for example - your profile doesn't say where you are but i'm assuming UK and that's a pommy product).  That's pretty abrasive and might do the trick.  Follow it up with car polish (but not one with wax in if you'll be painting over the top).  Meguiars Scratch X will do the trick but i'm not sure if you can get that up there.
You can also polish with toothpaste.  That gives you a minty fresh model with no plaque and healthy gums...

Some words of warning - let the paint completely gas out before you try to polish it.  If it's enamel give it a week at least.
Also be careful with the polish at first.  I have found that the solvent used in some polishes can react with some paints and soften them even if they have been sitting for ages.  Scratch X softens enamels thinned with GP Thinners for example while the polish supplied with my polishing kit does not.

Fred

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on October 19, 2014, 07:48:15 PM

You can also polish with toothpaste.  That gives you a minty fresh model with no plaque and healthy gums...

I've found that toothpaste is FAR better at polishing canopies than the custom-made stuff you can buy in model shops, or COULD buy when there were any model shops!

It's not only better for the job but it's always available and the cost doesn't come out of the modelling budget, it's 'household goods'.   ;D

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

<...> Unlike most Humbrol whites, which in my experience always yellow, even if it takes a few years. I've some airliners I just daren't display any more, they're that yellow.  :banghead:

I wonder.... have you tried placing said airliners in a sunny window? Someone on Flugzeugforum.de had a similar problem and placed one of his old A-7s on a white sheet of paper on a window sill. Took a month, but it looks as good as new!  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on October 20, 2014, 02:02:24 AM
<...> Unlike most Humbrol whites, which in my experience always yellow, even if it takes a few years. I've some airliners I just daren't display any more, they're that yellow.  :banghead:

I wonder.... have you tried placing said airliners in a sunny window? Someone on Flugzeugforum.de had a similar problem and placed one of his old A-7s on a white sheet of paper on a window sill. Took a month, but it looks as good as new!  :thumbsup:

No, but it's worth a try, thanks.  :thumbsup:

That's standard procedure for un-yellowing old decal sheets and I've done it quite a bit, but I never thought of doing it to the whole model before.  :o

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on October 19, 2014, 07:48:15 PM
Some words of warning - let the paint completely gas out before you try to polish it.  If it's enamel give it a week at least.
Also be careful with the polish at first.  I have found that the solvent used in some polishes can react with some paints and soften them even if they have been sitting for ages.  Scratch X softens enamels thinned with GP Thinners for example while the polish supplied with my polishing kit does not.

Important note.  Always test first, and not on the entire model
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng