Looks like a Typhoon visited Eglin AFB, Florida

Started by The Rat, October 18, 2014, 09:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Just poking around on Google Maps, found this guy at: 30.485443,-86.510862  Cut and paste, right clicking and selecting 'Search Google for' doesn't get you the exact spot.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Logan Hartke

Google Earth says that was on March 28th, 2013. That would have put it less than two weeks after Red Flag 13-3. Since the RAF sent nine Typhoons from No 11 Sqn to Red Flag 13-3, it's likely that one of their aircraft stayed behind at Eglin for one reason or another. The aircraft is parked on the transient ramp, so it may have had some trouble getting home with the rest of the group.

http://www.nellis.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123339402
http://photorecon.net/red-flag-13-3/

Cheers,

Logan

The Rat

Quote from: Logan Hartke on October 18, 2014, 11:20:29 PM... so it may have had some trouble getting home with the rest of the group.

RAF, I'm saying hangover.  :drink:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Logan Hartke

The Rat

Logan Hartke

Captain Canada

That's neat. Pretty good resolution too. Don't they do missile firings from Eglin ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Logan Hartke

They absolutely do. That was also something I'd considered. It just seems to be sitting out in the open on the transient ramp, though, still with the tanks on in a ferry configuration. I'd have thought that it would be in a hangar or at least a shelter if it was a scheduled visit to do weapons testing for a few days.

That's total conjecture, though, and I thing chances are jest as good that it could have been at Eglin for a specific reason such as testing, training, etc.

Cheers,

Logan

jcf

Quote from: Logan Hartke on October 19, 2014, 12:18:00 PM
On American beer?

Cheers,

Logan

Ummm, yeah easily if one drinks the product of any of the thousands of breweries that
exist in the US. The term 'American beer' covers a huge range these days.

Logan Hartke

I'm well aware. It's just a joke playing to the stereotype.

Cheers,

Logan

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 20, 2014, 04:20:49 PM
exist in the US. The term 'American beer' covers a huge range these days.

That it does. The whole idea of beer in the US has changed incredibly since I first went there 35 years ago ! I've tasted a lot of good ones and a fair few very good ones  :cheers: I'm still a bitter man however (the beer not mood) and you really can't beat a good "sharp" bitter that makes you grimace a tad on the first sip  ;D :cheers:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Being there for a missile shoot would not be a surprise.  Most US and UK fighters go there for live shoots for initial clearance/trials, and for missile and system upgrades. I wonder if another of the beloved QF-4's has been scattered into the Gulf of Mexico?  QF-16's soon to follow with the first few few being so outfitted for no live operator (NOLO) flight. 

Or someone stopped by to check on the F-35's. 

At least US beer is cold!  Surely as God had intended....  :cheers:
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

NARSES2

Quote from: sandiego89 on October 21, 2014, 08:16:17 AM

No, no and thrice no. Not in the UK anyway and especially not for Bitter. You can't taste it if it's cold
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 22, 2014, 07:16:55 AM

No, no and thrice no. Not in the UK anyway and especially not for Bitter. You can't taste it if it's cold

More and more brewpubs, along with bars and regular pubs, in the US are serving their beers in the
temperature range appropriate to each style. The industry here just keeps getting better and better. 
:thumbsup:  :cheers:

kitnut617

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 22, 2014, 10:52:47 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on October 22, 2014, 07:16:55 AM

More and more brewpubs, along with bars and regular pubs, in the US are serving their beers in the
temperature range appropriate to each style. The industry here just keeps getting better and better. 
:thumbsup:  :cheers:

When we visited your area Jon, we stopped off at cheese place down the Oregon coast road, almost directly west of McMinville. We bought some terrific micro-brewed beers there and had quite a time later at the hotel ---  ;D
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike