Northrop Northampton B(PR)1 - the model

Started by PR19_Kit, October 19, 2014, 08:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trickyrich

very nice  :thumbsup:

it's great to see one of these done up in an "actual" scheme rather than the boring old prototype NMF. The next step would be to evolve it into a later model with the wrap-around scheme!

Mossie

Liking the Northampton very much, but that's half the SIG's table allocation gone in one fell swoop! :lol:

That's put the idea of a B-45 (Northumberland?) in anti-flash into my mind, not that I've got one.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on October 19, 2014, 01:09:21 PM
Liking the Northampton very much, but that's half the SIG's table allocation gone in one fell swoop! :lol:

That's put the idea of a B-45 (Northumberland?) in anti-flash into my mind, not that I've got one.

I have.  ;D

Or did you mean a B-49 perhaps, the jet B-35?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Whoops, slip of the fingers!  Yes, B-49. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

I've just uploaded the lengthy backstory in the Alternative History area.

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=39554.msg655892#msg655892
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McColm

What scale is the model Kit?
I had the 1/72 for a few months and it was massive.

Mossie

Got to admit, with the size of it I'm surprised Kit hasn't hacked it in half and stuck it on something else! ;D

PR19_Kit

Yes, it's the AMT 1/72 scale kit, it's just over 2 feet wingspan, and by far the widest span model I've got.

It doesn't come anywhere NEAR 'The Monster', my 777-900, for length of course.  ;D

The chord is so deep, and the wing so thick, that grafting it onto anything else would be difficult, at least in 1/72. I imagine that you could use one to Whiff a 1/32 model maybe.

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Nice! The color scheme actually suits the thing VERY well.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on October 20, 2014, 04:35:39 AM
Nice! The color scheme actually suits the thing VERY well.

I was surprised at that too, I thought the weird toned down colours would look strange, but to my eyes they work better than the more vibrant  Dark Green and Sea Grey Medium of later years.

Regards
Kit

McColm

Tophe

Nice model! It would have been great in Eureopean skies, yes! ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

sandiego89

Looks great, I too like the cammo uppersurfece and the NMF on the underside.  I loathe NMF. Well done.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

I wanted to make the props on the Northampton plug-in units as there's no fin or anything else to protect them from the trials and tribulations of being carried to shows. In fact the props ARE the highest parts of the model! AMT/Ertl in their wisdom have made the prop shafts quite thin and the bearing area to support them in the shaft housings very short so without the supplied collars to fit on the inside of the bearing area they wobble like crazy.

So I glued some styrene tube over the shafts to lengthen them and I had intended to glue some suitably sized brass tube into the shaft bearing area to take the shafts. It then occured to me that this would be a 'one shot deal', if the tube didn't fit and glue exactly I'd not be able to get it out again as the end of the tube would be flush with the end of the bearing! And if I pushed it in too far it would fall inside the shaft fairing and would never be seen again.  :banghead:

So Plan B was formulated. I cut the brass tube into four lengths, around 3/4", filed the ends flat and reamed them out to take the thickened shafts and superglued them into small square pieces of 20 thou styrene sheet. Then I marked, cut and filed the sheet to the correct circular diameter and test fitted each one into it's appropriate housing. That took about 100 times longer to do than ity did to write, it was a long, arduous and VERY frustrating job, and I had to scrap out two of my attempts as the tubes weren't perpendicular to the styrene sheet.

But at last I managed to make four of the little blighters and three of them are glued into place with some putty around the joint. I'll sand that down and paint up the ends of the shaft fairings later today, but in the meanwhile here's a pic of the last remaining bearing to be fitted together with its companion shown already in place.

Regards
Kit

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise