Northrop Northampton B(PR)1 - the model

Started by PR19_Kit, October 19, 2014, 08:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I could have sworn I posted a thread of the is build before but I can't find it anywhere.  :banghead:

I started it over a year ago and the construction went fine, but the paint stage was a DISASTER, apart from the underside which went very well. As it's going to be an RAF RB-35  ;) the upper surfaces are the short lived 'Mod 312' Light Aircraft Grey and Light Slate Grey, the latter of which is actually green. Go figure..........  :unsure:

I tried to use my newly bought airbrush but it wouldn't spray densely enough for my tastes and when I tried brushing in the thin bits the colours were different  :banghead: so I shelved the whole thing for a while. The 'while' turned out to be about a year and when I was casting about for something to finish off for Telford this year I found the Northampton again.

I've been using a zillion miles of Tamiya tape masking up the camo and re-brush painting the whole upper surface, and there's a LOT of area there! It's not too bad, good enough for Government work anyway, not one of my best jobs but it will just have to do. The landing gear and props have been done for ages and the gear is now on the model but I'm working on making the props removable as there's nothing to protect them from above, no fin, no nothing. I'm using the contra-props on the inboard shafts and 4-bladers on the outboards, for reasons which will became clear when I post the backstory. It'll have umpteen 20 mm cannon in the barbettes and I have some turned brass ones sorted out for that.

Earlier build pics below, the last two of which show two different paint schemes and now it's on its third scheme!

All the myriad bits and pieces, but no guns as yet

My best ever natural metal finish, I'm dead chuffed with it.

The first, sprayed, scheme. Far too light in colour and variable as well.

Second, brush painted scheme. Darker but the masking didn't work too well.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 19, 2014, 08:15:47 AM
I could have sworn I posted a thread of the is build before but I can't find it anywhere.  :banghead:

Think you posted some pics in another thread Kit, I remember seeing the pic with the camo job
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 19, 2014, 08:34:37 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 19, 2014, 08:15:47 AM

Think you posted some pics in another thread Kit, I remember seeing the pic with the camo job

Oh good, I thought I was losing my mind there for a bit. I've searched under 'Northrop' and B-35, but it's not there. Weird.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

IIRC, it was in a 'painting problem' thread  ---

Hobbes

The images aren't showing for me. I tried viewing the source image directly and that didn't work either?

kitnut617

I've got an RAF build planned too Kit, and if you don't mind I'd like to use your name for it but have a different mark number.  Mine will have two Grand Slams hanging semi-recessed from the bomb bays (I've seen a 3-View of a proposed bomber like this but do you think I can find it again)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on October 19, 2014, 09:24:06 AM
The images aren't showing for me. I tried viewing the source image directly and that didn't work either?

They may show up in time Harro, Imageshack works slowly at the weekend I've found.

I've just checked my area on there and they're showing OK there now.

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

The images are there for me , Kit   1 with parts, one metallic, and 2 green grey cammo shots.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

kitnut617

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Current state of the Northampton. Main decals added, plus the gear legs, in the top view the no. 3 engine's prop is shown pulled out of its brass tube shaft housing, normally it'll be pushed all the way in. Lots of small detail decals to go on, but I really wanted it to look RAF.  ;D

The nose gear leg has broken twice already  :banghead: and it turns out there should be a tri-angular brace right behind it, but it looks like the Carpet Monster has got mine so I'll make up a facsimile with brass rod. You can see the camera ports in the vestigial 'fuselage' in the underside pic.

Regards
Kit

Captain Canada

Now there's a beauty. I seem to recall seeing it too. Love the props !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Captain Canada on October 19, 2014, 11:32:49 AM
I seem to recall seeing it too. Love the props !

Wait till they're all on there, blades EVERYwhere!  ;D

Regards
Kit

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Rat

Needs longer wings, but still pretty good!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr